Rino Users

Most people don't use them because they have no need for a 2 way radio on there GPSr and don't see the point in spending the extra money for that feature. The older units are not really worth getting. The only Rinos worth considering are the 610, 650, and the 655. So i hope you got on of those.

But the built in 2 way radio is a good option for people who like to hike or go hunting. But isn't of much use to most geocachers.

My wife and I frequently use our RINO 530HCx's. They work well for caching, and are extremely useful when leading groups of cachers (such as before, during, or after an event), bike-caching is also popular in my local area...and communicating while leading a group of cyclists is invaluable (one of us ride "lead" the other "sweep". They are also useful (some might even say comforting) when caching in deep woods and we go our own ways, or take different approaches to GZ. The 5W power does a good job...although you have to remember that they are "line-of-sight" radios. Peer positioning is a great feature, so is the ability to transmit/receive pre-programmed or customized text messages. The on-board L ion battery has great life, and the ability to use AA's in a pinch is nice. Actually, the only negative I have...now that we also own Oregons...is the smaller screen.

Bill

Yeah, I ended up getting the 655T model. Seems like a great little unit, I just didn't see much of people using them for caching. For what those things cost, I'm gonna use it for everything I can, lol. when caching, are you mainly navigating on the compass screen? The unit I replaced was a Magellin 2000XL(I think that was the model), so it was quite a step up. I think the instructions on the 655T assume you are familiar with the Rino's.

SamuraiTrapper - The 655t sounds like a very nice receiver...I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Yes, there can be a learning curve, especially because Garmin user manuals are historically "lacking". The Compass Screen works well for caching, you should be able to customize the display to include two "data fields"...I use Destination and Distance to Destination so the compass arrow will point to the cache, and the distance to the cache will count down as you view/walk to the cache. I've found that the Trip Computer page also works well, I have that customized as well so the data fields on that page show: Destination; Distance to Destination; Elevation; Time of Day; GPS Accuracy; Speed; Off Course; Pointer (the Pointer performs the same function as the Compass by pointing to the cache); Battery; and finally Trip Odometer. The more you use the receiver, the more you'll learn about it...and I'm sure you'll come up with your own customization. Good luck, and enjoy.

Bill

I still have my 530HCx, but it's on a shelf mostly. I bought the Rino 110's and strapped them to my kids when hiking. The ability to "Poll" or ping the other units to see where they were was for piece of mind incase one of the kids wandered off. Never had to use that feature. The kids loved the radios to keep track of me when they stayed behind with mom on a hazardous cache.

The thing was awesome through my first 350 caches, but I would get frustrated at the inability to paperless cache.

Big bonus is the rechargable build in battery.

I finally upgraded to an Oregon 550