Torch for late afternoon/night caching

matt1988

Hi all, I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but I couldn't see it.

I'm after a torch, I heard single LED 3 watt are the best. Right so now I would like to know what sort of lumens will get the job done? I saw in Halfords tey do a 60 lumen Cree LED torch for about £18 I think. I was wondering whether this would do the job or not?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I wouldn't like to spend more than £30 as I won't be using it all that often, just when the evening light becomes a little too dark and if I decide to do a quick night cache.

Thanks all :)

Hi all, I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but I couldn't see it.

I'm after a torch, I heard single LED 3 watt are the best. Right so now I would like to know what sort of lumens will get the job done? I saw in Halfords tey do a 60 lumen Cree LED torch for about £18 I think. I was wondering whether this would do the job or not?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I wouldn't like to spend more than £30 as I won't be using it all that often, just when the evening light becomes a little too dark and if I decide to do a quick night cache.

Thanks all :)

Hi

We've done a few night caches in a group and we've generally had crap torches, while the others in the group have had good ones. One of the group uses a 3W CREE LED headtorch which is excellent. It's so good that we have now bought a couple for ourselves. It is the Robert Dyas own brand version for only £10.

Get a head torch rather than a hand torch, that leaves your hands free.

Get a single 3w LED torch.

Lumens measure the total light output of the torch, but if it's too spread around, most of it is wasted. The human eye searching for a cache has a very narrow angle of vision; likewise the human eye looking out for holes and ruts to trip over. You want a bright spot, plus a bit of spill around that.

If you think about incandescent lamps, a 100 W light bulb emits about 1,700 lumens, but that's spread evenly all around. And, of course, the further out you look, the weaker the lighting. More important, is the lux; a lux is one lumen per square meter. But vendors rarely quote lux. The lux tells you how bright the spotlight will be. And that's determined by the reflector behind the LED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

That £10 Robert Dyas sounds good - I haven't seen it, but Cree make good LEDs, the price is right, and you have a user recommendation.

We enjoy a lot of night caching and have both got LED Lensers which we are more than happy with. I have thought about head torches for the "hands free" aspect, but did wonder if it might dazzle someone else if you should turn to talk to them? Paul (The Lizard King) already thinks I have a "dazzling personality" :anibad::laughing: so I don't want to overdo it! B)

Izzy

Edited by Izzy and the Lizard King

Definitely a head torch, not one to hold in hands. If you want really dazzling lights, look at what night orienteers use! Otherwise, the more LEDs the better, and although they don't draw much power compared to blubs with elements, worth having spares or at least choosing torch that takes same size batteries as GPS and / or camera. Personally, I usually buy cheap head torches eg Mountain Warehouse / Aldi / Lidl etc. Usually cost from £5 each up to about £16 for 2. Haven't had one fail yet, but have lost or given away a few over the years. Most have hinges, so you can adjuts light beam downwards when talking to someone - or switch it off. However, be prepared to be dazzled by someone who needs to lip read you! :rolleyes:

Edited by Copepod

the more LEDs the better,

I completely disagree. The more LEDs, the worse.

Multi-LED torches use ultra-cheap low-output LEDs, so you wind up with a lower overall light output. Furthermore, you can't focus multiple LEDs. Get a single-LED with 3 watts output (one watt will do if you want to spend less than a fiver).

Next time you see me at an event, ask me to demostrate what good torches look like. If you're used to Maglites or multiple-LED torches, you'll be astounded.

Head torches are great and, obviously, keep your hands free for searching/holding back plants etc. Petzel usually make good ones but I've had to send back 2 Myo XPs (single LED) when they developped faulty wire connections - both replaced free even after guarantee had run out.

I also have a 3W Cree LED hand torch that was £18. It's brighter than the headtorch and has a zoom beam focussing mechanism. Powered by 3AAAs. It's very compact and easily fits into a pocket.

Yesterday I was in Aldi and bought one of these for only £10.99. It's the same size as the previous one but is 5W Cree and impressively bright. It comes with a 3 year guarantee. I'm tempted to buy another.

It's possible to get headbands to hold these small torches but I've never used one.

One thing which I noticed doing some night caches in the Lakes recently was that reflectors are a lot more visible when the torch is shining from close to your eyes - either mount the torch on your head or just hold the torch up there (gaffer tape can also be used but can be painful when removed - a friend tried this once!).

I have just seen a lenser P7 in blacks, looked on amazon £34.90. Will be ordering when I get paid tomorrow I think.

Try 7dayshop or play.com they are under £30 quid, with free delivery :)

Those are selling at £40.99 an £38.99. But thanks for the heads up anyways

Sorry, I should have said, go for the "Police Tech Focus". It's the P7 under a different name.

Compare spec on LED Lenser's website.

I have just seen a lenser P7 in blacks, looked on amazon £34.90. Will be ordering when I get paid tomorrow I think.

Try 7dayshop or play.com they are under £30 quid, with free delivery :)

Those are selling at £40.99 an £38.99. But thanks for the heads up anyways

Sorry, I should have said, go for the "Police Tech Focus". It's the P7 under a different name.

Compare spec on LED Lenser's website.

Ok yeh I've seen it, for the extra few quid, I will go for the P7 still for double the lumens. It means I can show my magalite freind how rubbish they are (after using one to go night caching).

Thanks for the help anyways :)

I've got a P7 too, a great little torch. For walking around I use a Petzl Tikka head torch which gives a dimmer more diffuse light but for shedding masses of light on a subject the P7 is magic.

One thing to watch is that rechargeable batteries are not recommended by LED Lenser "We do not recommend rechargeable batteries in our torches, as they can get rather warm and damage the CREE chip. We only recommend Alkaline batteries."

Yep I swear by the P7 too - it's got 2 settings (3 if you count off!) and variable focus/spread. Batteries seem to last forever.

It has 3 settings doesn't it? Push the button it goes to 80% hold it, and it goes to 100% and then if you push it all the way it goes to 20%. I think you may have missed the 100% hold feature of the torch.

Yep I swear by the P7 too - it's got 2 settings (3 if you count off!) and variable focus/spread. Batteries seem to last forever.

It has 3 settings doesn't it? Push the button it goes to 80% hold it, and it goes to 100% and then if you push it all the way it goes to 20%. I think you may have missed the 100% hold feature of the torch.

You're right - I'd totally forgotten about the 'hold it in for 100%' feature!

Perhaps only to be used in an emergency [or when your torch has gone dead]

I have downloaded an ap for my android phone called 'brightest flashlight' for free.

It really is bright as it's software turns on the flash for the camera permanetely.

It probably uses up a bit of juice though.

there are many occasions that this would have been useful - like daytime caching when that micro is hidden in a dark spot.

This has got to be the greatest deal ever! So good I might get another set, this bundle cost me £55 a month or two back, although I had mine engraved.

Oh and be aware there a fakes on ebay (shock horror!)

Got my early Christmas present a LED Lenser P7 + P3 Twin Pack two weeks ago from Go Outdoors and it's brilliant.

Definitely recommend

Me too, I'd been thinking of getting that pack then I was in Maplin the other day and they had it on the shelf so I grabbed one; bizarrely they had the twin pack for £39.99 right next to the P7 on it's own for £49.99 - I wonder how many of the single units they sold?

This has got to be the greatest deal ever! So good I might get another set, this bundle cost me £55 a month or two back, although I had mine engraved.

Oh and be aware there a fakes on ebay (shock horror!)

Got my early Christmas present a LED Lenser P7 + P3 Twin Pack two weeks ago from Go Outdoors and it's brilliant.

Definitely recommend

Me too, I'd been thinking of getting that pack then I was in Maplin the other day and they had it on the shelf so I grabbed one; bizarrely they had the twin pack for £39.99 right next to the P7 on it's own for £49.99 - I wonder how many of the single units they sold?

Yes I got the same deal from Maplin too! Bargain!

Was asked about my P7 and P3 at the Sussex Xmas meet lastnight and did a little demo for other attendees.

I'm sure I saw someone use their smartphone and bought one there and then using their Amazon app.

Afterwards redirected male clued me into this string and both me and my caching partner Geo J0 use nothing but Lensers.

I found Lensers independently of the forums and any hearsay from other cacher and they are really brilliant torches. In both form and function.

I have noticed that using my P3 is better for night caches that use stealth tape and reflective pins. The P7 can be too bright and overpowers anything reflecting back.

Night caches using firetacks seem to cope with the P7.

£12.50 delivered to your door http://www.alpkit.com/gamma great headlight doesn't throw light a great distance but its more than adequate . They also have a fantastic after sales service .

DrSolly is correct a single "good" Cree LED is far better than multiples for lots of reason :D

And yes I know the gamma has multiples but at the price its worth it .

Edited by Matrix

Spooky world or what a friend has just sent me this http://tinyurl.com/d7xagsu its a link to B&Q for a Pro Series Cree 90 Lumens torch that takes 3 AAA batteries is is only £15.35 he says its a cracker :D

We just received the Cree 120 Lumens version of that B&Q torch (costs about £20). We were out late last night and tested it, making a direct comparison between it and our newish headtorches which we also had on us. Light-wise, it was almost as good as the 3W Cree headtorches, which are Robert Dyas own brand for only £10. It is also a bit heavier as it is made from aluminium, but easier to hold. So I still think that the Robert Dyas ones are great value for money, although as head torches they are a bit bulkier and less robust as they are made from mostly plastic.

Funnily enough I have been reading this thread with interest when:.... I got a torch for Christmas.

They were from Costco and cost about £15 with three in a pack.

My other half got them and gave me and my Son the other two.

They are only small (like a mag light) and i didn't think they would be much good .... but wow!

I tried it out last night on the beach with the dog and I couldn't believe how strong it was.

It has three setting; it has a multi function switch .. 50% light, 100% light and flashing emergency strobe.

It lit up Penmaen head completely and even picked out the reflectors on the A55 (The beach well below and a distance away from the A55)

it is called techlite Lumen Master, high intensity cree XPE LED tactical flashlight and runs on 3 AAA batteries (150 Lumens)

Working out at aprox £5 each can't be a bad thing huh?

51giATJBs%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If it is anything like the cheap 300 lumen B) head torch I purchased on E-Bay for £13 then you will be sorely disappointed by the battery life. My LED Lenser P14 lasts approx 10hrs on a set of batteries, my new super duper head torch which is only a little brighter gets through a battery in about 30 minutes :bad: