[FEATURE] Every other week Pocket Query option or more slots per day

khaytsus

Perhaps there's some other way to solve this, but I'm running out of Pocket Queries. I cover my entire state plus a few small areas outside of it which I routinely travel. I cover the state by caches published from the first cache until the query exceeds 500, then I create another one etc.... I'm up to 21 full ones, and my 22nd is already at 60. I exclude my finds, hides, etc.

Yes, I could make them 1000, but I won't. When I get the PQ in the email I have procmail scripts which combine all of my GPXes into one file, do some inclusions/exclusions and spits out some nice files for me to use, vs 22+ individual PQ's and having 11,000 caches in my database when I only want the nearby ones most of the time. Of course this system lets me have immediate access to all of the data nearby at any time, I just load a different PQ.

Anyway, so back to the feature. I have 2 slots left, and unless we're going to get more slots any time soon (10 a day would be nice) it'd be nice to have PQ's that run every 2 or N weeks. I don't need the really old cache's updating weekly really, but I also don't want to have to manually run them either.

Possible? Some other option I'm missing here? Thanks!

Find more caches. :)

That being said you still have thirteen PQ's left. 6500 new caches seems like you won't be running into barriers any time soon.

In the meantime take a look at GSAK. The newest version will download PQ's directly from geocaching.com without intervention. That being done you could up your PQ numbers to 1000 and download them all in one click.

Find more caches. :)

That being said you still have thirteen PQ's left. 6500 new caches seems like you won't be running into barriers any time soon.

In the meantime take a look at GSAK. The newest version will download PQ's directly from geocaching.com without intervention. That being done you could up your PQ numbers to 1000 and download them all in one click.

To make sure I have the latest in my direct area, 7 are devoted to one PQ centered at my house that's ran daily... I've thought about reducing it to every other day but I'm avoiding that so far. Then I have 2-3 others for others outside of the area. So the misc ones total 11. 23 in my "Kentucky" group, so leaves 2.

Understand about GSAK, but I don't use GSAK, all of this is automated for me as it gets emailed in. And my tablet and phone download the whole enchilada (12m) in the middle of the night and before I go caching or whenever, I'll import the local gpx file or if I'm going to another area I'll import the PQ that covers its area etc..

The KY query gets squished into one big GPX then I take "pieces" of it out to form 5 areas around the state (again, to minimize data in my caching app at a given time even though it can hold thousands easily) and then I have a "rest of the state" gpx of what's left.. Works pretty good for me, and I have a LOT more caches than I did on my old system of attempting to pick a centerpoint and a distance without massive overlap etc...

Just running out of PQs.. LOT more being placed than I'm finding, as you noted :P

To make sure I have the latest in my direct area, 7 are devoted to one PQ centered at my house that's ran daily... I've thought about reducing it to every other day but I'm avoiding that so far.

ok i have to ask, how many caches get published every day that you need to run the PQ's daily? :unsure:

I run five PQs a day, based on hide date.

Most of them run twice a week, but the older ones (the ones less likely to have changes) only once a week.

The most recent date-range PQ runs daily, so the most volatile (recent) caches get updated daily.

At this point in time I need 17 PQs to cover Arizona.

When and if this scheme becomes inadequate, I would be lobbying for PQs with more results...like 1500, or maybe even 2000 per PQ.

At the current level of power-trail creation, a 2000 cache PQ might not be so unrealistic. :(

You could open another premium account just for the pocket queries. :rolleyes:

Um. No. :P

ok i have to ask, how many caches get published every day that you need to run the PQ's daily? :unsure:

>0 is enough eh? I dunno, sometimes it's a week with none, sometimes I see several days in the week with publishes. I cache out of PQ's, so I want the data on hand.

I run five PQs a day, based on hide date.

Most of them run twice a week, but the older ones (the ones less likely to have changes) only once a week.

The most recent date-range PQ runs daily, so the most volatile (recent) caches get updated daily.

At this point in time I need 17 PQs to cover Arizona.

When and if this scheme becomes inadequate, I would be lobbying for PQs with more results...like 1500, or maybe even 2000 per PQ.

At the current level of power-trail creation, a 2000 cache PQ might not be so unrealistic. :(

Are you running these manually by ticking/unticking boxes? That's what I'm afraid I'll have to do, and really don't want to do as I'll eventually stop doing it and that data will remain old and stale. I already have enough problems with stale data as it is... Since it takes a week to cycle through, I sometimes find a cache I've found or has been archived re-appears in my lists because the PQ for its date range hasn't updated yet and it still has the old data. I might need to tweak my exclusions some more there..

Don't get me started on power trails.... Ugh...

Are you running these manually by ticking/unticking boxes? That's what I'm afraid I'll have to do, and really don't want to do as I'll eventually stop doing it and that data will remain old and stale. I already have enough problems with stale data as it is... Since it takes a week to cycle through, I sometimes find a cache I've found or has been archived re-appears in my lists because the PQ for its date range hasn't updated yet and it still has the old data. I might need to tweak my exclusions some more there..

Don't get me started on power trails.... Ugh...

I use the grid on the PQ page.

The PQ with the more recent dates (covering today, the recent past and the near future) runs daily to capture new caches and recent logs. On Sunday, the next four older also run, Monday the next four...and Wednesday the final four.

So, within four days I have data for every cache I haven't found in Arizona.

Add to that the ability to check a listing online with my smartphone (if I suspect it's missing or archived) and I feel I'm pretty-well covered.