Are you a shutterbug?

DragonsWest

Seems I try to have a camera in hand when picking up or dropping off trackables - I figure beyond moving the critter/thing/doodad/wossname the least I can do is take a picture to show the owner where it is or has been.

Usually do this for caches, too, when I'm in some sick spot: I.e. Coast view from Pros.per.i.ty

Am I alone in this? I rarely see any pictures anymore. Are geocachers in too big a hurry now?

Seems I try to have a camera in hand when picking up or dropping off trackables - I figure beyond moving the critter/thing/doodad/wossname the least I can do is take a picture to show the owner where it is or has been.

Usually do this for caches, too, when I'm in some sick spot: I.e. Coast view from Pros.per.i.ty

Am I alone in this? I rarely see any pictures anymore. Are geocachers in too big a hurry now?

I 'discover' TBs so that I can post a photo of their where-abouts. I like to see where our TBs have been and appreciate when finders post photos.

I take pics if I see something that "wows" me. Your coastal pic is a definite wow, and I would unquestionably have taken a photo of that. I've learned over the years, however, that many of the things I find wow-ish just don't have that effect on others. You know..."Holy cow, that's the longest slug I've ever seen - look at the size of that sucker!" (Other people are singularly unimpressed by slugs. Why this is, I do not know.) :D

So I usually think twice before I put my idea of "wow" up on a cache gallery, or a Facebook wall, etc. But sometimes the "wow" is so overwhelming that I have to share. And if a travel bug requests photos, I often do that (sans "wow").

I just with my camera were better able to capture some of the "wows" that I come across - like a beam of sun coming through an otherwise dark forest and lighting up a patch of brilliant yellow-green moss on the ground. I've never been able to capture that color. It looks "meh" in the photo, while in real life it's amazing.

Mostly I don't do bugs, and those that I do I take a picture to record the tracking number, but I never post any pictures because it might somehow offend the owner.

Avoiding offending trackable owners it pretty difficult, so I would not chance it with a picture.

You aren't quite alone, there are a few of us out there! The easy to carry camera that is always with me is just a tiny Canon Elph, so the quality of my scenic shots are not the greatest. (Oddly, the Elph takes quite good close-ups for its size.) I make an effort to upload at least one photo per trackable, even if it is just a discover pic of it at an event. Caches get occasional uploads of whatever caught my fancy along the way. Perhaps unfortunately, I lean towards the terrkan78 idea of interesting items, and the owners have more of a chance of seeing pictures of flowers, snakes, fungi, dining spiders or dripping sap than they do of awesome waterfalls and sunsets.

1126 uploads of dubious wow factor, and counting. :P

Although, now that COs can delete photos without deleting the log, my gallery entries may be in danger! :o

I take pics if I see something that "wows" me.

here's some WOW for you :lol:

actually i have 2 cameras and a video camera with me at all times, and if for some reason i don't have my bag the camera on the Oregon serves as a good backup :D

Edited by t4e

You aren't quite alone, there are a few of us out there! The easy to carry camera that is always with me is just a tiny Canon Elph, so the quality of my scenic shots are not the greatest. (Oddly, the Elph takes quite good close-ups for its size.) I make an effort to upload at least one photo per trackable, even if it is just a discover pic of it at an event. Caches get occasional uploads of whatever caught my fancy along the way. Perhaps unfortunately, I lean towards the terrkan78 idea of interesting items, and the owners have more of a chance of seeing pictures of flowers, snakes, fungi, dining spiders or dripping sap than they do of awesome waterfalls and sunsets.

1126 uploads of dubious wow factor, and counting. :P

Although, now that COs can delete photos without deleting the log, my gallery entries may be in danger! :o

We can delete spoiler photos now? SWEET!

I try to take photos as much as I can. I often won't post them if they don't turn out well. I rarely do photos with bugs anymore, but if I get a good photo where I drop a bug, I'll just post one of the location without the bug in it.

If it specifically wants photos at a certain location, I always try to comply. Especially if it's an animal related one -- then I get to get the cats involved. (Whether they like it or not.)

41210d62-04c2-4001-bb5c-f5555d284a35.jpg

Edited by hzoi

I'm probably obsessive about photo taking, depending on who you ask. :ph34r: It's bad enough that my MIL has mentioned it in cache logs. :rolleyes: I try to take at least one picture at every cache, partly because I believe that every cache deserves to have pictures in its gallery, and partly to help me remember each cache. If the area is nice, I can take quite a few pictures. Unfortunately, it's tedious for me to go through pictures and post them, so I'm quite behind on that.

I might not be great at taking pictures but love sharing my adventures and taking pictures of wildlife, interesting things and when I drop of a TB the # so i don't lose it.

If I don't lose my camera like I almost did one day after doing a bunch of Earthcaches and left the camera at a LPC. Luckily Frisbee'r calmed me down and helped me remember where I left it.

I always have a camera with me when caching. Currently a Nikon D80, favorite lens Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR II, great lens in case I come accross wild life, but I do not do much caching anymore. I went back to school. Now it is all school work. Sometimes I take pictures of myself while out caching. I have lots of photos on my profile page

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I have 3023 photos posted on Geocaching.com, and counting - which puts me at about 50% of my logged caches count.

Photography is a major draw for me and geocaches, and frankly was the initial "kick" that got me interested in the game.

My "Wow" photos tend to end up on my Flickr stream, and my 500px Stream, but I also make sure I post them to Geocaching.com with the log entry.

Just a couple days ago I picked up a new camera specifically for my geocaching adventures, as it's waterproof/shockproof/freezeproof. While my DSLR has been on many geocaching adventures, the photos I have taken from a canoe or standing waist deep in the lake might have been tempting fate a bit much.

In 2011 I dramatically curtailed my numbers caching to seek out specifically those "wow" caches where I would want all my camera gear. I have a backlog of hundreds of "wow" spot photos that I still have to post, and I have gone from almost apathy about geocaching in 2010 to a renewed interest in the game that has me itching to get back out on the hunt whenever I can.

My favourite recent outing has to be Killarney, Ontario where we visited only a few caches over a three day weekend:

4ecd0bc6-b1d4-4304-befd-e4fff809778b.jpg

b93744c9-3af9-4f6e-9c5c-a80a3c46cb43.jpg

62f3e875-5bce-4cef-bb08-ff564f54efd3.jpg

We always have a camera with us at every cache we visit. Usually just our cell phones, but anytime we're travelling we've got the real camera. I'd say about 75% of the cache sites we visit end up with pictures taken (yes even those lampskirts are occasionally picture worthy!), but I'm not so good at remembering to upload them. Right now I'm about 3 months behind on uploads, but I'll get there someday!

I went to Killarney last May...no one else in the campground but me, myself and I. I did just a few caches as well, but they were all wonderful and one was one of those completely memorable ones. Yes, got photos, and was annoyed at myself that I left the good camera behind. I hope to get Trekkin' up there so we can do some of the paddling caches. It was bad enough that I had to tell my mom I was staying in a motel so she wouldn't worry about me in my little tent alone up there.

You got some really wow shots. It's definitely a place to find them.

Edited by Trekkin' and birdin'

I never was one for taking many pictures, just another piece of gear to carry, and then when I get back I have to try to figure out what picture went with what cache. Fast forward to today now with the built in camera on my Garmin GPSmap 62stc, and my Montana 650T coupled with the FREE basecamp mapping Garmin provides it's a piece of cake, and makes picture taking really fun for me. Just my .02 cents

Scubasonic

I never was one for taking many pictures, just another piece of gear to carry, and then when I get back I have to try to figure out what picture went with what cache. Fast forward to today now with the built in camera on my Garmin GPSmap 62stc, and my Montana 650T coupled with the FREE basecamp mapping Garmin provides it's a piece of cake, and makes picture taking really fun for me. Just my .02 cents

Scubasonic

I take the camera, because I'm an idiot. I have this innocent belief that if I take pictures while I'm out it will be no bother, not the least, to edit them and do whatever with them when I get back home sweaty, filthy and tired, with umpteen logs to write (I'm no rubber-stamper, cookie-cutter, cut-n-paster, I writes 'em individual, though some may still be brief) So I plug the CF card in and find I have 180 pictures I just had to take. Fire up Photoshop, start copying them to a working directory and hop into the shower. Some time later I'll have the 20 or so pictures which I'll post to a trackable (I really like to do that, as much as possible, because I love it when people post a picture of mine) or to a log entry. Maybe a few also to my friends on fazebuch.

The Log from a CITO a week ago.

2d8f2b9d-1738-44ae-9fe3-b9d488baac79.jpg

Edited by DragonsWest

I TAKE a lot more pictures than I upload. Don't want to post any spoilers. But if there is something interesting near the cache that hasn't been posted before, then I'll upload it. And some of the specialized "trails" I'm doing ask for a picture of me with the cache... silly I think - but if I can earn a COIN for doing it, then it's not too much to ask! :lol: I enjoy photography, and take my camera with me EVERYwhere I go, whether caching or not. No one was ever happier to give up FILM and go digital! :lol:

In our area there are a few really talented shutter bugs, which really got me excited about using my camera. Guys like NorthernPenguin and Keith Watson have unbelievable pics that they share and inspired me to push myself. I can't deliver like those guys, but I have a few nice pics in the gallery. I try to remember my Sony HX100V but I will always have my iPhone 4S with me. I love adding a nice pic to my logs.