STARTED - [FEATURE] Show user-corrected coords on Beta Map, in PQs, and in API

TheCacheSeeker

This is a feature I would definitely love to see. For example, when I solve a mystery, I insert a note in my "personal note" field and modify the coordinates accordingly. On the map, I would like to see the same icon used at the new coordinates but with a different color to show that this is the corrected one. A red "question mark" ? instead of a blue one could represent a modified mystery cache for example.

When I go out to find caches on my bike, I will always print the map of the region I'm heading for. For me, it would be an easy way to see on my map that this particular mystery cache has been solved and is now ready to be picked up on my next outings.

I just noticed today, that the icon of a user-modified coord is showing at the new coordinates on the small map provided on a cache page. Same icon used but placed at the user-modified coords.

Problem is... if I press on "View Larger map", the beta map will be centered on the new coordinates, which is fine, but the cache icon is still displayed at the original un-modified coords.

I'm inclined to believe that the feature is simply not finished yet, but it should not have been implemented yet in this state because the informations are not accurate on the large beta map.

And as previously mentionned... It would be much better to have a visual hint that this cache icon has been placed using user-modified coords instead of the original ones. Same icon, different color (green or red, for a mystery) would be great.

Thank you very much

Edited by Jeehell

The feature is still a work in progress. Future releases will extend the user-corrected coordinates to the API and the beta map. I'm merging this thread into the existing thread on the topic.

Perchance can the functionality be modified as to having both the Dummy coordinates and the corrected coordinates for a puzzle?

I know that the functionality will be brought to the API, PQs, and maps, but what I am asking is: Can the corrected coordinates be added as a waypoint to the actual listing instead of moving the icon to the corrected coordinates? The idea that was stated above with a Red "?" would fit into this functionality very well. If this is not at all possible at this time, I will understand.

If you use GSAK (can i say that? i have no business connection with GSAK other than I am a user)...

Yep, no problem there. GSAK is an official API Partner.

Personally, I've always used GSAK to keep track of my corrected coordinates. Even if the site eventually has this feature fully-developed, I probably still wouldn't use it, but I guess we'll have to see how it works once it's done.

The feature is still a work in progress. Future releases will extend the user-corrected coordinates to the API and the beta map. I'm merging this thread into the existing thread on the topic.

As long as this is a work in progress, there is a related feature request for identifying caches which have user corrected coordinates on the search results pages. If the maps are going to use a modified icon to identify mystery caches (and other cache types...yet another feature request) for caches which have corrected coordinates it would be nice if search results pages used that same icon so that when we do a search for caches (for example, using the "Search for Geocaches near your home location..filter out finds link) we will be able to easily see which mystery caches have already been solved and which we still need to work on.

An upcoming release will extend the corrected coordinates to PQs, the API, the beta map, and the large map on the cache page.

So it has been 6 months!

what's up?

PLEASE Groundspeak - FIX THIS IN YOUR SMARTPHONE APP!

I hate that the puzzles I have updated on the cache page do not transfer over to the app.

Seems like a lot work if I have to make a PQ of solved puzzles (from a bookmark) to make this a viable caching option.

I have to rely on other geocaching apps as they ALLOW corrected coordinates to be just that...CORRECTED!

An upcoming release will extend the corrected coordinates to PQs, the API, the beta map, and the large map on the cache page.

So it has been 6 months!

what's up?

PLEASE Groundspeak - FIX THIS IN YOUR SMARTPHONE APP!

I hate that the puzzles I have updated on the cache page do not transfer over to the app.

Seems like a lot work if I have to make a PQ of solved puzzles (from a bookmark) to make this a viable caching option.

I have to rely on other geocaching apps as they ALLOW corrected coordinates to be just that...CORRECTED!

I REALLY wish that functionality like this that is actually useful to Geocachers took precedence over yet another Facebook integration modification.

So I make a bookmark list of puzzles I've solved, convert it to a PQ and then map the output from that PQ - and all the icons are at the fake coordinates rather than my corrected coordinates :(

Is it really such a big ask to have the icons on the map match the corrected coordinates?

Now simply to work out the most efficient route between all the solved puzzles I have to first plot them all in Google Earth :mad:

Edited by Team Microdot

I'm asking myself what's so complicated to implement this feature?

If the database model is designed well, the solution should be a simple change in the SQL statement of the database query.

The standard map is showing my hides and founds, so it should be not a big thing to show my corrected coordinates of solved puzzles.

Yes - I too, having spent hours plotting and planning another puzzle-hoovering expedition would like to know when this seemingly simple change can be made - please! :(

Moun10Bike, any news about this?

I recently started using my iPhone in addition to my Garmin. The other day I tried to find some puzzle caches with my phone, ones that I had solved and saved in the corrected-coords box. I was so surprised to see that when I went looking for the caches, the OLD coordinates came up when I searched for the cache. I could set a waypoint but that it time-consuming to do it for each puzzle cache when you've already put in new coords online! I thought maybe I was just missing a step but I see that others are having the same problem. Is the update still being worked out?

I own no iPhone nor do I use the Geocaching.com app (on android) regularly.

But the correct Mystery coordinates should appear if you import the mysteries from a pocket query.

But do not refresh those caches (unless loading a newer PQ).

The problem is that you do not have an indication telling whether the coordinates are corrected or "original".

What's the status of this? Why is there a no movement? Groundspeak has made a lot of misstakes and wants to make "better mistakes tomorrow" (own words from the challenge retirement post). Why is retiring the current pictograms a higher priority than improving the functionality?

What's the status of this? Why is there a no movement? Groundspeak has made a lot of misstakes and wants to make "better mistakes tomorrow" (own words from the challenge retirement post). Why is retiring the current pictograms a higher priority than improving the functionality?

Oh, how I agree with you! There are many helpers like Reviewers and Translators, but probably not so many taking after the website. I also do NOT understand, why some retiring of icons has higher priority??? It´s a change solving NOTHING! And of course without possibility of taking back the old ones, because I don´t like the new ones. What I am suggesting is based on choice and personification. Every user should be able to choose, which features he wants. But when there are not there... There are many so complicated things in the website, which could be much more easier.

I just recently started doing mystery caches and would love this feature to be implemented, corrected coords and icon color change.

I often use my iPhone when I have a few extra minutes waiting for someone or something and use it to go hunt a few caches nearby. That being said, it would also be great to have corrected coordinates on the phone apps as well as different colored icons to know when checking out the list of close by caches the ones you already solved.

Thank you for considering these changes.

The issue is if in GSAK I refresh or use the API to download new caches, then They are overwritten with the incorrect ones.

If you're using GSAK already, why not use its corrected coordinates function rather than the website? Then you don't have to worry about losing or overwriting anything.

Because I use my blackberry, playbook, linux in addition to gsak on windows. Basically I am a big mess.

I totally agree with Neersianer. It´s almost a year!! What is so complicated with implementing such an easy feature??

Perhaps because it's not as easy as you might think. At least in the case of displaying user-correctly coordinates on the map they may be constrained by what the API they're using allows them to do. Then there is the fact that that PQs generate files in GPX format, and that format has a schema that doesn't define field for corrected coordinates. Making changes to the schema which describes the Groundspeak extensions is not something to be taken lightly. Even though I've been developing software a long time I'm hesitant to make any claims regarding whether or not a particular feature would be "easy" to implement because I don't have access to the GS source code and thus can't tell what might need to change.

I totally agree with Neersianer. It´s almost a year!! What is so complicated with implementing such an easy feature??

Perhaps because it's not as easy as you might think. At least in the case of displaying user-correctly coordinates on the map they may be constrained by what the API they're using allows them to do. Then there is the fact that that PQs generate files in GPX format, and that format has a schema that doesn't define field for corrected coordinates. Making changes to the schema which describes the Groundspeak extensions is not something to be taken lightly. Even though I've been developing software a long time I'm hesitant to make any claims regarding whether or not a particular feature would be "easy" to implement because I don't have access to the GS source code and thus can't tell what might need to change.

It doesn't really need a field for corrected coordinates - although it would be nice to have original and corrected coordinates you are right that changing the schema would break so many things downstream it's not a sensible option.

It seems to me it should be very easy to simply return the corrected coordinates if available and original coordinates if not available. That would have the effect of plotting icons on the map where it wouldn't be immediately obvious whether the coordinates were the original or corrected coordinates, although I'd have thought the map interface could show the ? icon in a different colour even if the GPX file couldn't support such a distinction.

You're absolutely right that it's dangerous to just assume a change is easy but considering it with a view to minimising the impact on downstream systems would appear to suggest that this approach shouldn't have any unexpected pitfalls.

Then there is the fact that that PQs generate files in GPX format, and that format has a schema that doesn't define field for corrected coordinates.

The GPX schema does indeed allow a field for corrected coordinates. If Groundspeak had bitten the bullet and upgraded to GPX 1.1 (say about 8 years ago when it came out) it would be even easier.

One vendor had a broken GPX parsing engine, and the response to that was for Groundspeak to return to their broken GPX 1.0 specification instead of the more reasonable response which would have been to put in a stopgap converter solution until the vendor fixed their problem.

That vendor, by the way, has long since fixed the problem but Groundspeak doesn't use GPX 1.1 (the thing they call "GPX 1.1" is not.)

But the choice not to include the corrected coordinates on the flagship products that are aimed at the future (i.e. wireless devices) is just beyond belief.

Any word on when this might happen? Will it apply to the map on the smartphone apps (Android in my case, but I'm sure Apple users would appreciate it).

I like to be able to bring up the map and see what's close, often geographical features (rivers, the estuary, hills) separate posted coords from the final meaning I might be close to the final one day but don't realise it.

It appears that GS has silently started supplying corrected coordinates in the API. I'm sure if you log on to the GSAK forum and look around a bit, perhaps in the features forum, you might find some details. It has already been incorporated in to the program. I would give links but don't wish to incur the wrath of the mods.

i like the red/blue question mark idea that was mentioned too .. red for corrected coords

i am sure i am not the only one that has solved a bunch of puzzles but no way on the map,

or even on the search list screens to know at a glance which i have solved and which i have not

I believe the suggestions with different icons, colors and lines in the map are just great. But, only getting the standard icon moved to the corrected position would be a huge help when planning my hunting. As this is already done in the API, I hope the work to get it done in the map in the web can get prioritized just a little higher.

How is this work progressing?

Showing solved Mysteries in another color and at the corrected position on the map.

I would appreciate so much, if this feature would be realized as soon as possible.

What can i do to make the feature being realized, except of still being a paying Premium Member???

Showing solved Mysteries in another color and at the corrected position on the map.

I would appreciate so much, if this feature would be realized as soon as possible.

What can i do to make the feature being realized, except of still being a paying Premium Member???

I agree.

This and the implementation of the nano cache size are the two things almost everyone here askes for.

We are all paying for premium memberships for what?

I seriously am thinking not to renew my membership. If everyone does that, maybe someone at Groundspeak will wake up.

So I make a bookmark list of puzzles I've solved, convert it to a PQ and then map the output from that PQ - and all the icons are at the fake coordinates rather than my corrected coordinates :(

Is it really such a big ask to have the icons on the map match the corrected coordinates?

Now simply to work out the most efficient route between all the solved puzzles I have to first plot them all in Google Earth :mad:

I use Chrome (browser) and an extension called cachelist - this allows you to 'check-off' caches on the geocache.com site and download a basic gpx/loc that you can put in gsak (and refresh for corrected coords info) then import into the cach'eye site or into google earth

Another cacher does the same but uses geocaching.com's bookmark list feature and basically does the same thing (takes it to gsak, updates for corrected then goes to cache'eye)

hope that helps somewhat

even if you dont have GSAK ..you can use cach'eye website but you would have to manually change the

coords to corrected before hand. If you do have gsak, use the macro and the corrected coords come up red and uncorrected stay pink-ish

Moun10Bike, any news about this?

Moun10bike - now a couple of years down the track, any update on when this feature might be released?