Wanted Used GPSr

Inasuitcase

I need to upgrade my GPSr. The one I currently own forces me to enter the info manually and it takes FOREVER. I need to scroll through the list of numbers and letters, etc. I don't need anything "too" fancy but I would like to be able to type in the coords/name or be able to upload them straight from my netbook. I wish I had my GPSr with me right now but I don't. It's an ETrex model and yellow, if that helps. Any suggestions to an upgrade would be most helpful. I do have an IPhone and the app on it but my battery drains so fast! Thanks:-)

I need to upgrade my GPSr. The one I currently own forces me to enter the info manually and it takes FOREVER. I need to scroll through the list of numbers and letters, etc. I don't need anything "too" fancy but I would like to be able to type in the coords/name or be able to upload them straight from my netbook. I wish I had my GPSr with me right now but I don't. It's an ETrex model and yellow, if that helps. Any suggestions to an upgrade would be most helpful. I do have an IPhone and the app on it but my battery drains so fast! Thanks:-)

Why can't you upload the coordinates? I used to have that model and I uploaded to it all the time, if your computer doesn't have a serial port or you don't have a cord, then you can buy a USB cord for around $10 on Ebay.

Why can't you upload the coordinates? I used to have that model and I uploaded to it all the time, if your computer doesn't have a serial port or you don't have a cord, then you can buy a USB cord for around $10 on Ebay.

I'm not sure. My "geek guru" friend has tried numerous times a few years ago. I no longer talk to him to know exactly what the problem was but I do own a netbook, if that helps.

What you need is serial to USB adaptor. From what I understand, never used one, they sometimes do not work. How much are you willing to spend on a used GPSr?

Looking at my local craIgslist page I found several decent units from $75 - $250 with all sorts of extras included. You could also try one of the new Etrex series, either the 10 or 20, which come with warranties and are not too expensive. Ompared to the oregons and the do paperless.

Just ideas

I'm not sure. My "geek guru" friend has tried numerous times a few years ago. I no longer talk to him to know exactly what the problem was but I do own a netbook, if that helps.

Well it can be done and without knowing what your friend tried then we can't help you much. I suggest you try again, there is several tutorials on here that can help or you may want to seek out a local cacher who can help. If you have some extra money to spend and want a much better GPS then Cabela has the Garmin Oregon 450 for $249 on Black Friday (available online as well)