Different ICON for Micro caches

CacheUsOut

I liked the idea enough that I implemented this in GPSBabel long ago. I see different icons on the receiver based on cache type. I think most of the trendy GPX munchers like Spinner and Watcher do this, too.

Since I don't hunt from my terminal, I don't much care what the icons are there.

Micros as a different type just because of their size?

I think that's not a very good idea at all.

Here's why. You have to consider why you're thinking micros are different. Most of the "film canister sized traditional" caches around here are just that, a full blown cache in a miniature size. That's the only difference.

Just because many people have opted to put out caches that you can't trade in, or doesn't have a log, or is harder to find doesn't mean all micros should be painted with the same picture.

If you want to make a type to categorize these ultra small log-only or code-word-only caches then be my guest, but leave micro-sized trading caches with logbooks alone!

CR

72057_2000.gif

I'm fine with micro's still be called traditional caches. because in most cases, they are, just smaller. Micro really just relates to the size of the container. I WOULD like to see (and others have mentioned this over the years as well) a cache size in between standard (ammo box) and micro (35mm canister). Maybe something called "mini" for all those caches out there that are smaller then your average cache, but really not micros.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I agree size alone should not create a new category. It's the non-trade, log-only or code word only characteristics that make most micros stand alone. Maybe having a small size choice for traditional caches as well as creating a new category for those micros that have the characteristics I mentioned above would benefit the most cachers. To clarify, I'm not suggesting two new categories, just an additional size option for traditional caches and ONE new category for log-only, code word or other non-trade caches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I want to see a sunrise, I'll STAY up for it!

I like what CacheUsOut is suggesting, but you'd only have to add the log-only/code word/other non-trade cache type. There's already a micro size available--maybe change that to small (although the micro name could still stay the same.) If you add anything there, it'd be something between micro and regular or regular and large. Then you could hide a traditional micro cache or a large log-only cache. Given choices like that, I'm sure someone will come up for a good reason for a large log only cache (if it hasn't been done already.) I'm thinking about using a container that has a similar effect--it's normal sized on the outside, but it only holds about the same as a micro.

Letterboxes could arguably be logbook-only caches and their not much better that a decon container or sandwich-sized Tupperware containers, just with the addition of a stamp.

However, that's not to say there couldn't be a larger container to hold a full-sized notebook. Hide one of these at a really nice viewpoint and invite finders to right about their experieinces, how they got involved with caching, etc. The full-sized logbook gives them plenty of room and is easier to write in than a smaller log.

Take that one step further and make the log sort of like a scrapbook so people can bring pictures of lost loved ones and write about them in the book. A large scrapbook would probably take a 5 gal bucket to hold it.

But, then again, the above is so rare that they could easily fit in the Unknown category.

What I would prefer is even to leave the logbook-only micros where they are. In it's basic form a cache is nothing but a logbook. A well constructed logbook-only micro certainly fits.

If you're gonna make a new category, I'd prefer it include those things that fall outside the basic definition of a cache. Mainly these codeword caches where people would prefer to not put a logbook in the cache for whatever reason. But these function more like a virt than a traditional in that you email for confirmation and the like. I've liked the idea for a Virt-hybrid for a while.

I vote for the new category of Virt-Hyrid over the breaking out micros into a seperate category!

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

If you're gonna make a new category, I'd prefer it include those things that fall outside the basic definition of a cache. Mainly these codeword caches where people would prefer to not put a logbook in the cache for whatever reason. But these function more like a virt than a traditional in that you email for confirmation and the like. I've liked the idea for a _Virt-hybrid_ for a while.

Well, that would mean they would have to ALLOW code word ONLY caches, which they don't (someone else can markwell THAT discussion). I think MOST (not all) codeword only caches where by people too lazy to put together a real cache anyway, so I would be happy to see them stay gone. With ome of the examples I've heard were submitted for codeword caches, like a tennis ball with a word on it tossed in the woods, or waypointing a soda can (the codeword was COKE), lets stick to requiring logbooks. Besides, I think the logbook requirement has brought the creativity level of micros to an all-time high. I've seen pics of some amazing and evil micros that contain logbooks. I would much rather continue to see people creating things like fake hollow pinecones, then just writing a codeword on a natural one.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Hey, I agree with you Mopar on keeping it to logbooks only, but with so many grumbling about micros i'd rather them come out code-words than push real micros into some other category.

You'd also want very strict guidelines for these, as well, to prevent exactly what you say. I'd say you would have to justify a code-word only cache--it's have to be pretty small, like listerine strips container or smaller.

I'd rather it be left alone, but if it's either moving micros to another type or making codeword only, I'd rather have codeword only and leave micros where they are.

CR

72057_2000.gif