Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Onslow Fisherman

A School Geocaching Project

A School Geocaching Project

An initiative by a geocaching school in Canada has given me the idea to do something the same at our local Area School.

The Canadian project has been to obtain 40 TB tags and have them identified as belonging to a particular school group (class). These have been posted to eight geocachers around the world, five to each. The undertaking given by these geocachers was to release them, place them, in caches to commence their journeys back to their owners.

The following link is to one of the TBs that I released:

My link

This project is explained at:

My link

I have approached the Principal of our local school and he is very much in favour of the idea and we will put it into action early next year, 2012.

I am asking for volunteers from some European, Asia and South American countries who would be prepared to release one of these in or near their area.

Jim

Best of luck on your project but please do be aware that many TBs either get stuck in a small area or go missing. About 50% of mine have gone missing over the years and several others have been "trapped" in a never ending pass around in some local area.

"An initiative by a geocaching school in Canada "

Wow - there are geocaching schools in Canada? A very enlightened country, indeed!

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Teaching 8-12 forum.

Jim,

Can you write up the lesson in a lesson plan format? This forum allows for attachments and everyone can benefit from your pioneering! Thanks.

Mark

Jim,

Can you write up the lesson in a lesson plan format? This forum allows for attachments and everyone can benefit from your pioneering! Thanks.

Mark

Hi,

I am just the facilitator of this project and not a teacher.

The person who would be of most help to you would be the one whose email address follows. It is his idea that I have copied.

Eric Godbout <godboute@me.com>

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

I emailed Eric the day after and again today. Can you check with him and maybe get him to write it up and post the lesson plan? It sound GREAT and others would greatly benefit.

Mark

I teach a high school Advanced Algebra II class. There is an optional honors portion to the assignment and one of the honors projects I've created has to do with the math behind GPS and Geocaching. I've attached the document if you want to see it at all.

Thanks.

I'll take a look at that and it might be helpful going forward.

Jim

I teach a high school Advanced Algebra II class. There is an optional honors portion to the assignment and one of the honors projects I've created has to do with the math behind GPS and Geocaching. I've attached the document if you want to see it at all.

Thanks.

I'll take a look at that and it might be helpful going forward.

Jim

Making the assumption that I can understand it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Hi. I teach maths and gifted students from a variety of year levels (age 8 to 12 years of age) at a local area school. I LOVE geocaching and thought I would try a version of it at school with some of my classes. They did not have the technology, so I did math-caching with them as a version of geo-caching.

I photocopied a map of the school and divided it into a grid with about 12 to 18 lines on each axis which I labelled. I then hid about 27 caches around the school. On a separate piece of paper I gave the name of the cache, the co-ordinates using the grid on the map, and a cryptic hint. The hints often involved having to solve a maths problem then translate the answer into a word to get the hint. On the map grid I only wrote whole numbers, but I used decimal co-ordinates so the kids had to estimate where the cache was.

It was interesting to see that the kids, though bright, sometimes struggled to interpret the map with the actual physical buildings in the school. Some also struggled to understand the hint. However they LOVED doing it and even spent their lunchtimes looking for the ones they ran out of time to do in my lessons. As I put many of the caches on the cross-country course, it was good physical exercise for them too.

I asked them which were their favourite ones, and usually it was the ones that were either physically challenging to get (one where they had to jump or ride piggy-back to reach the cache) or the ones where they had to solve something first.

Two of the caches went missing completely and one of them was accidentally damaged. I thought that was not too bad considering there are 1500 kids at the school, although only about 80 kids from my classes participated.

After they had found all 27 of them, they had to create some caches of their own. I encouraged them to find good places to hide it, cryptic clues, accurate co-ordinates and a bit of a challenge. They then gave the clues to their class-mates to find.

The last lesson involved getting the kids to go and collect the caches so I could use them again next year. It was a very successful unit and I will repeat it again this year.

I encourage any teachers or school volunteers out there to do this in their school. It was fun to set up and when the kids were out there looking, I had the time to get on with other work.