[FEATURE] New Attribute - Internet Required

quercus74

The attribute could look like this:

3372ce0a-e4df-4a65-9b4a-89604bb2ea9e.jpg

What's an example of a multi that would have this attribute?

Well, I don't want to spoil a mystery, so I won't give the link! But it had a QR code (2D bar code) at the first location that contained a bookmark to a map server, which showed the location of the final point. Internet access was neccessary in order to log the cache (I had to go back home for the access :mad: )

A new attribute is required: Internet required

It is a marker for the many multi who expect an Internet search while hunting.

I would just list that as a Mystery with the Field Puzzle attribute. The requirement for internet access would then be in the description.

Most people either don't have or don't check the attributes when cache hunting. They get very annoyed when they start a multi and then find out half way through that they can't finish it.

Most people either don't have or don't check the attributes when cache hunting. They get very annoyed when they start a multi and then find out half way through that they can't finish it.

Conversely, I know that many members use attributes to build Pocket Queries (Avoiding caches tagged as needing maintenance, <1 hour for a pit stop on a road trip). I personally filter out rock climbing & UV caches. Not that i expect a lot of them. but I don't want to waste my time of reading through the description to find out I don't even want to attempt the cache.

Actually, I'd like to see a QR code attribute first.

Edited by Tha Duh Feez

The attribute could look like this:

3372ce0a-e4df-4a65-9b4a-89604bb2ea9e.jpg

What's an example of a multi that would have this attribute?

Is this idea still alive? More and more smartphones are used for geocaching, geocaching app's and now and then also mobile internet.

Off line app's are ok (code tables, GPX files etc.) but without mobile internet several caches are not findable.

A new attribute may be required soon. I like the very simple and plain www logo.

But of course we can create a more modern look like:

WiFi-internet.jpgor

NewsItems-34-attachment1_wifi.jpgor

logo.png

Any ideas and what is HQ thinking?

imho, IE is too commercial and not unique. The original idea of 3372ce0a-e4df-4a65-9b4a-89604bb2ea9e.jpg is neutral and understandable. But now......how to recommend by Groundspeak? This thread is already two years old :unsure:

Quick question - is there a special program for making those Attribute ideas or do you just use something like Microsoft paint? I have an idea for the wifi one.

Quick question - is there a special program for making those Attribute ideas or do you just use something like Microsoft paint? I have an idea for the wifi one.
I just use GIMP. I take an existing icon, black out the artwork in the middle (leaving the rounded corners), and draw my own artwork in the middle.
I just use GIMP. I take an existing icon, black out the artwork in the middle (leaving the rounded corners), and draw my own artwork in the middle.

Thanks! Idea coming up....

imho, IE is too commercial and not unique. The original idea of 3372ce0a-e4df-4a65-9b4a-89604bb2ea9e.jpg is neutral and understandable. But now......how to recommend by Groundspeak? This thread is already two years old :unsure:

I used Paint.

(note: I was kidding about the IE logo :P)

Why not base if off just the standard icon that's generally accepted for a data signal?

system-icon-signal-full.png

That's not a data signal - that's phone signal. :)

yeah yeah :P cell reception. Other than being used for a PAF, it's recognizable as 'need mobile device with signal' - which could be anything in theory from having to call some phone number as part of a puzzle in the field to get a hint to needing some other form of mobile info retrieval (ie, data). In other words, mobile device required.

But mainly, it's not copyright (afaik), it's recognizable, it's simple. Just sayin' :)

How about this?8906b4d0-4336-4cc9-9b38-3aa3c75119f2.png
Only findable at sunrise/sunset?

I miss the smiley B)

Nice idea, keep on thinking and posting here. I just got an answer from HQ, so maybe it's in the "system" yet.

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback and suggestion. We will pass it on to the relevant department.

We appreciate that you took the time to let us know about this!

Enjoy your day!

Jane

Community Manager

That feels more like an outgoing signal, or radio... :antenna:

Yep! Just what you are looking for... a data signal being transmitted... by radio... in the form of either WiFi or similar connection.

I still chuckle when people tell me they don't have a radio, just a cell phone. If it has wires it's a telephone, if it doesn't it's a cellular radio-telephone. Unless you just use data in which case it still uses a radio link.

Still it's like some out there miss large parts of reality at times.

I'd lean toward something like the insert link icon. three chain links indicating a link required.

Doug 7rxc