Geocache Blogging Etiquette

JeepFreak81

Hey everyone,

So I've decided to jump into the world of Blogging after years of resisting the movement, lol. I'm not here to promote my blog or anything like that. I'm doing this because I want to have some fun with it and if anyone gets some enjoyment from reading my blog that's just a plus.

Anyway, to my question. What is the general etiquette concerning mentioned caches in a blog post. For example, if I want to write about my short adventure today where I visited a cache, could I name the cache or give the GC code. And what about trackables, can I write about the trackables that I dropped and/or picked up during my adventures without posting the tracking code? I'm sensitive to avoiding any hints, or spoilers but didn't know if there were any rules, written or unwritten, about naming caches and things in a blog or other public posting area.

Thoughts? Ideas? Complaints? Let's hear em!

you seem to have a good understanding of what is allowed and what not, so to me i don't see any problems, GC codes and names are fine....have fun writing :D

i wish i could but its all in my head and it refuses to leave and move on to the keyboard :lol:

Edited by t4e

Hey everyone,

So I've decided to jump into the world of Blogging after years of resisting the movement, lol. I'm not here to promote my blog or anything like that. I'm doing this because I want to have some fun with it and if anyone gets some enjoyment from reading my blog that's just a plus.

Anyway, to my question. What is the general etiquette concerning mentioned caches in a blog post. For example, if I want to write about my short adventure today where I visited a cache, could I name the cache or give the GC code. And what about trackables, can I write about the trackables that I dropped and/or picked up during my adventures without posting the tracking code? I'm sensitive to avoiding any hints, or spoilers but didn't know if there were any rules, written or unwritten, about naming caches and things in a blog or other public posting area.

Thoughts? Ideas? Complaints? Let's hear em!

Very nice of you to be concerned. I've always thought that many Geocache bloggers, most of whom seem to be newer to the sport, had a high incidence of posting spoilers to the blogs. Most usually pictures of the container, and usually in it's hiding spot. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't too big of a deal, despite the fact they usually named the cache, and had these pictures on the internet. But yes, naming the cache itself, and talking about trackables is no problem. I personally would avoid posting pictures of the container itself, even if out of it's hiding spot.

Seems odd talking about this, seeing as there was an extremely high profile case recently where a newbie Geocacher made spoiler videos of caches (without naming them) and put them up on YouTube. Ultimately, it was decided that it is OK to do this. Took a month of extreme drama before it was decided though. :lol:

I love the surprise and challenge of the hunt and intend not to jeopardize that for anyone else. I'm also the type of guy that hates knowing what I'm going to get for Christmas...haha. I knew I hadn't seen any official rulings on this I just didn't want to stray from proper geocaching manners. Thanks for the input!

I just read all of your blog. You knida' mentioned you have to use a GPSr. That isn't entirely true. Might need one to hide a cache but you sure as heck don't need one to find one. Keep up the good work.

I don't know if the site has been changed recently but if you're referring to the following statement:

Geocaching: A hobby that involves using GPS to find another "Pirate's" treasure.

That doesn't say that a GPS *receiver* is required. A smart phone with a GPS chip *is* a GPS receiver, and a GPSr is only one part of the Global Positioning System. Even if one uses Google Maps or other satellite imagery to play the game, those maps include waypoint information that required the Global Positioning System to capture the coordinates and render information on the map.

And what about trackables, can I write about the trackables that I dropped and/or picked up during my adventures without posting the tracking code?

If you're wanting to reference a specific trackable, make sure to use the reference code as opposed to the actual tracking number that's on the tag. The reference codes can be found on the trackable's page on the left side.

For example searching TB14KWK would take you to the page for a travel bug I found once, but it won't let you log it or anything like that. Using the actual tracking code would let anyone log the trackable.

While I agree that a smartphone with a chip is a GPSr I added that smartphones can also be used. The average Noob probably would read GPSr and assume that they had to have a dedicated unit. It wasn't until I had been geocaching for a week or so that I realized smartphones could be used to play this game.

Technically you don't even need one of those of course. I find almost all mine using a map. OK, it's lousy deep in the woods or if you don't have handy landmarks, but it can be done and can be fun as well. Promise.

The one thing to remember when writing anything would be 'will this ruin the hunt for someone else?'

Mentioning a geocache in particular, GC code or about your adventure is not going to spoil anything - it is all available freely on the geocaching site so won't be ruining anything. Mentioning swag I would possibly avoid (so as to prevent people/thieves heading out only for the swag) but trackables would be fine - again they are listed on the cache page, so not exactly a secret (though remember to use the public code, not the private one on teh tag itself)

I would avoid anything specific about the exact GZ, pictures of the cache or any details about how it is hidden beyond what is mentioned on the cache page.

Good point, Smartphones are as much a part of this sport as GPSr's and I hadn't really given that a thought. Thanks for the tip!

Eerr...thanks I guess. I meant that some of us don't use a GPSr to find caches at all. That would be too easy... :rolleyes:

Ya that never even occurred to me. I have a hard enough time finding them WITH my GPSr....haha