Kids Only?

wheres_aldo

I recently took a trip to NYC and thought I would get some caches in NY and NJ. So I loaded up a pocket query centered on the Battery Park area and including states NY and NJ but when I got there and tried to choose some caches but the first 20 where marked "FOR CHILDREN ONLY" in the first line of the description. I've never seen this before. So my question is: should I select 'Kids' on the attributes to exclude section? Not that I have anything against kids and I wouldnt want to miss out on a nice cache that tolerates adults.

P.S. I wouldn't let a kid near the crappy area where these were located - I wouldnt even go into the area except during broad daylight so it seems kind of strange that they're all marked Kids Only.

Children only is kind of weird. It's not like 8 year olds should be wandering around hunting gocaches alone.

I looked at a bunch of caches near Battery Park and couldn't find any children's only cache. You have a few examples?

I was able to find a few, but not in New Jersey or New York.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=site%3Awww.geocaching.com+%22FOR+CHILDREN+ONLY%22&oq=site%3Awww.geocaching.com+%22FOR+CHILDREN+ONLY%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2016l8559l0l9711l27l27l0l21l0l0l358l1445l0.1.4.1l6l0

Children only is kind of weird. It's not like 8 year olds should be wandering around hunting gocaches alone.

I looked at a bunch of caches near Battery Park and couldn't find any children's only cache. You have a few examples?

I was able to find a few, but not in New Jersey or New York.

http://www.google.co...445l0.1.4.1l6l0

And if you look at that list more closely, only one of the caches, Sock Monkey, actually states that it is "For Children Only."

--Larry

I recently took a trip to NYC and thought I would get some caches in NY and NJ. So I loaded up a pocket query centered on the Battery Park area and including states NY and NJ but when I got there and tried to choose some caches but the first 20 where marked "FOR CHILDREN ONLY" in the first line of the description. I've never seen this before. So my question is: should I select 'Kids' on the attributes to exclude section? Not that I have anything against kids and I wouldnt want to miss out on a nice cache that tolerates adults.

P.S. I wouldn't let a kid near the crappy area where these were located - I wouldnt even go into the area except during broad daylight so it seems kind of strange that they're all marked Kids Only.

I think this almost has to be a glitch in the PQ or how your GPSr read it. The phrase you describe leads the short description for the cache ruthny pointed out, and there is no long description at all, so I'm hypothesizing that the PQ or your GPSr got confused (by the lack of a long description, which it was anticipating?) and maybe copied the short description to a bunch of other cache listings.

You're fine to log whatever you decide as you see fit. Even the one cache that really is marked FOR CHILDREN ONLY is being happily logged by plenty of non-children.

Seems to me that even if it said for kids only, you could claim a find on it. Having to be a kid in order to find the cache is no different than saying only people over 6' tall are allowed to log this cache. Now, don't get me wrong....I have 2 kids that both love to go geocaching with me (2 and 7). I think kid THEMED caches are great, but why shouldn't any player in the game be able to log that "game piece".

The only cache in NYC that I know of, where the CO requests children only is: http://coord.info/GC1R67Y

Reading the logs of that cache are quite funny:

"Ok - my good deed is a warning: don't do this Cache with your kids!"

"So we wouldn't say this is kid friendly. Our good deed is a warning to those with kids: To get the cache you have to walk in the street, or tromp the vegetation in the park. The container is not waterproof. The log is all wet. Not much fun for our kid."

"I agree with many before that the rat bait boxes next to this container hardly let this qualify as children friendly, but hey: We are no children so it was fine for us. Although I really was happy to see the next sink to wash my hands..."

"Not sure how this qualifies as being "for the children" when I found it very close to a rat bait box. And a car passed mere inches from me as I was on the road side of the fence. Thanks--my kids are safe at home!"

"I found poison there."

As for "kids only caches" -- I would certainly log them as I am a kid at heart anyway. :D

I ran a pocket query for 500 results centered on Zip 10007 with NY and NJ selected for states with Traditional only and Small, Regular, and Large selected. When I went to Liberty State Park NJ and started scrolling through the caches looking a candidate, the first 20 or so descriptions had "For Kids Only". It was strange because there were no caches in the park and the area around the park where the caches were located is a very rough neighborhood. I'm wondering if these caches might be being used for criminal endeavors. I gave up on NJ and went back to the NY side.

My original question was whether there is a way to filter these caches out without loosing caches that are tolerant of adults.

I used the maps to look at the Liberty State Park area. I viewed several caches around the area, but didn't see any claiming 'kids only' in the write-up.

I have heard there are parks 'back east' where you could get a ticket (or arrested!) if you are there without a child you are accompanying...could this have some bearing on the issue?

I think we need to see some examples to help figure out what is really going on.

I have heard there are parks 'back east' where you could get a ticket (or arrested!) if you are there without a child you are accompanying...could this have some bearing on the issue?
It isn't just back east. Playgrounds with "Adults must be accompanied by children" signs exist here in California too.

My very smart and pretty wife says the main attraction of geocaching is to be able to act like kids playing in the woods all over again.

To the OP-got any gc code#'s to share with us?

2/3 traditional caches within Liberty SP have the kids friendly attribute.

The other one predates the attributes, and the adopting owner hasn't added any to the listing.

I ran a pocket query for 500 results centered on Zip 10007 with NY and NJ selected for states with Traditional only and Small, Regular, and Large selected. When I went to Liberty State Park NJ and started scrolling through the caches looking a candidate, the first 20 or so descriptions had "For Kids Only". It was strange because there were no caches in the park and the area around the park where the caches were located is a very rough neighborhood. I'm wondering if these caches might be being used for criminal endeavors. I gave up on NJ and went back to the NY side.

Having done all of the caches in Liberty State Park (except one of the power trail EarthCaches), there are not a lot of large caches. But there is no need to slander Jersey City. Hope the people in the million dollar condos don't hear you calling it 'very rough' neighborhood! There's no place in Jersey City or Bayonne that I'd be afraid to go.(Well, except the Tonnelle Avenue Traffic Circle, but that's a different story.)

Of course, no one has figured out what you ar talking about. There are no 'kids only' caches!

My original question was whether there is a way to filter these caches out without loosing caches that are tolerant of adults.

No, since there isn't a "For Kids Only" attribute.

No, I hsve no finds in that area. I just clicked the preview for the same query and I'm not seeing any of the caches I saw before, i.e. I now see several caches in the park where I didnt see any before and I'm not seeing the caches that were listed in the surrounding area. I might still have the GPX file but I dont know how I could ship to someone.

While it seems there was some confusion here between Kid Friendly and Kids Only, the topic reminded me that many playgrounds in New York (and elsewhere) now have signs that forbid adults who are not accompanied by children. It occurred to me that a cache hidden in or near one of these playgrounds might be a Kid Required cache.