2nd Annual Presidents Day Geocaching Tour

Hello fellow geocachers,

I just set up a geocache event for the 2nd annual Presidents Day Geocaching Tour on February 20, 2012.

The purpose like last year's is to promote the theme of history with geocaching. Like last year we will release some historical themed travel bugs and set up new history themed geocaches at historical significant locations.

We would like to get some ideas flowing from those interested in not only using history as a theme for geocaching but how we

can use Presidents Day to bring more public awareness to the fun of geocaching on Presidents Day 2012.

It would be meaningful to have a free flow of ideas from similar minded geocachers by replying to this thread.

-RKO

HistoryCaching

I'm writing articles for publication on using the theme of history with geocaching so shoot me an email if you will be joining in as I will

be looking for more content for the story.

Hello fellow geocachers,

I just set up a geocache event for the 2nd annual Presidents Day Geocaching Tour on February 20, 2012.

The purpose like last year's is to promote the theme of history with geocaching. Like last year we will release some historical themed travel bugs and set up new history themed geocaches at historical significant locations.

We would like to get some ideas flowing from those interested in not only using history as a theme for geocaching but how we

can use Presidents Day to bring more public awareness to the fun of geocaching on Presidents Day 2012.

It would be meaningful to have a free flow of ideas from similar minded geocachers by replying to this thread.

-RKO

HistoryCaching

We have a Facebook page and a great venue that has a historic and nature trail and 3 caches on the property.

Official Page for Presidents Day Geocaching Tour

I will be presenting an award to anyone who can log the most historical or Presidential themed geocaches for the day. Please email me or join our Facebook page if you wish to enter this contest. You can do this from any area, your area and does not have to be in the area we are have our Presidents Day Geocaching Tour. This will help collect information about more historical themed geocaches around the globe.

-RKO

http://www.historycaching.us/

Edited by History-Cacher

WOW I feel so lucky to have found this thread!!! In the process of planning a day of Historical Geocaching in Northern Ontario. The North Channel Event is to be held on Sept 29,2012. Our event is not registered yet as it is just in the planning stages but all our caches will be of historical significance. The first Copper Mine in Canada is located in our small Town and we are steeped with history. The fall date was chosen as our trees will be in full colour at that time of year. I am really new to geocaching and was surfing these boards looking for knowledge.

WOW I feel so lucky to have found this thread!!! In the process of planning a day of Historical Geocaching in Northern Ontario. The North Channel Event is to be held on Sept 29,2012. Our event is not registered yet as it is just in the planning stages but all our caches will be of historical significance. The first Copper Mine in Canada is located in our small Town and we are steeped with history. The fall date was chosen as our trees will be in full colour at that time of year. I am really new to geocaching and was surfing these boards looking for knowledge.

Cool, thanks for sharing. I love visiting Ontario. Send me the GC ID when you get it.

Also I'm trying to get the good folks at Geocaching to recognize historycache as an official variation of geocaching. Then perhaps we can have different proximity rules. I can't tell you how many historical points of interest where we could not do a geocache because it was too close

to some other geocache.

Are you on Facebook? I strongly recommend it in promoting geoecaching events. I'd post a link to our Facebook event page but I'm not sure

what the rules on that are.

-RKO

Did I mention that we have three geocaches located at this historic site? With some nearby cool geocaches like Space Shuttle History geocache.

Self guided historic and nature trails with interesting exhibits. Also we have a facebook page where you can meet other attendees. Just go to the link above and looking on the right side to find the portale to Facebook.

Not to nit pick, but since you're extolling the historical significance of the weekend, you may want to refer to it by the right name. The holiday isn't Presidents Day, it's Washington's Birthday. I know most folks have taken to calling it Presidents Day, but it ain't.

When you use the word "But" it negates everything you say in the previous clause.

Actually you're wrong, they are two different days. Washington's birthday is the 22nd and the Presidents' Day is the

20th.

-RKO

Actually, you're wrong. And I'm not quite as sorry to nitpick this time.

There's a difference between George Washington's birthday (lower case B) and Washington's Birthday (upper case B).

George Washington was born on February 22, so yes, that is his birthday.

The federal holiday that celebrates his birth, Washington's Birthday, is fixed by federal statue on the third monday in February, regardless of the date (see 5 U.S.C. § 6103). Though a few states have added other presidents to the mix and called it Presidents Day, Florida still celebrates Washington's Birthday (see Fla. Stat. § 683.01(1)(g)).

And no offense, but when you use the words "Actually you're wrong," you need to make sure that, actually, you're right.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, and I made my point, so I'm done. In all seriousness, I do hope the event goes well.

(edited to kill the emoticons)

Edited by hzoi

Actually, you're wrong. And I'm not quite as sorry to nitpick this time.

There's a difference between George Washington's birthday (lower case B) and Washington's Birthday (upper case B).

George Washington was born on February 22, so yes, that is his birthday.

The federal holiday that celebrates his birth, Washington's Birthday, is fixed by federal statue on the third monday in February, regardless of the date (see 5 U.S.C. § 6103). Though a few states have added other presidents to the mix and called it Presidents Day, Florida still celebrates Washington's Birthday (see Fla. Stat. § 683.01(1)(g)).

And no offense, but when you use the words "Actually you're wrong," you need to make sure that, actually, you're right.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, and I made my point, so I'm done. In all seriousness, I do hope the event goes well.

(edited to kill the emoticons)

Angst free information from the U.S. Government Office of Personnel Management:

2012 Federal Holidays

Federal law (5 U.S.C. 6103) establishes the following public holidays for Federal employees. Please note that most Federal employees work on a Monday through Friday schedule. For these employees, when a holiday falls on a nonworkday -- Saturday or Sunday -- the holiday usually is observed on Monday (if the holiday falls on Sunday) or Friday (if the holiday falls on Saturday).

Monday, January 2* New Year's Day

Monday, January 16 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Monday, February 20** Washington's Birthday

Monday, May 28 Memorial Day

Wednesday, July 4 Independence Day

Monday, September 3 Labor Day

Monday, October 8 Columbus Day

Monday, November 12*** Veterans Day

Thursday, November 22 Thanksgiving Day

Tuesday, December 25 Christmas Day

* January 1, 2012 (the legal public holiday for New Year's Day), falls on a Sunday. For most Federal employees, Monday, January 2, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See section 3(a) of Executive order 11582, February 11, 1971.)

** This holiday is designated as "Washington's Birthday" in section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees. Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.

*** November 11, 2012 (the legal public holiday for Veterans Day), falls on a Sunday. For most Federal employees, Monday, November 12, will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See section 3(a) of Executive order 11582, February 11, 1971.)

Note: No nits were picked in the production of this reply.

Edited by Road Rabbit

Yes we are on facebook 1st Annual North Channel Geocache and the web site is www.northchannelgeocache.com but we are having a few issues with getting it live. We are running into the same problem some of the historical caches are too close to each other so will not be able to plant a cache at them. It will be a fun day of caching and exploring the history of the area.