IPAD or Tablet to GPS

Yes. Generate the pq in GSAK. Then transfer the PQ to the iPad or tablet. Then load it into an app such as official Groundspeak app which can read the PQ.

I don't have an iPad, but there are many apps on Android such as Cachemate that can do the job as well. Just check the Market or App Store for geocaching apps.

I may have misunderstood the question.

If you want to parse caches on the tablet and then load them on your GPS, this can be done on an Android phone or tablet; if your GPS uses a memory card and the tablet or phone also has a compatible memory card slot.

I used Cachemate. I would have the PQ emailed to my phone. Save it to internal memory.

Parse/filter the caches.

Export to the SD card in a format your GPS reads.

Load memory card in GPS and go caching.

Edited by GeoBain

I may have misunderstood the question.

If you want to parse caches on the tablet and then load them on your GPS, this can be done on an Android phone or tablet; if your GPS uses a memory card and the tablet or phone also has a compatible memory card slot.

I used Cachemate. I would have the PQ emailed to my phone. Save it to internal memory.

Parse/filter the caches.

Export to the SD card in a format your GPS reads.

Load memory card in GPS and go caching.

The GPS doesn't have a memory card, but the tablet has a USB connection. Will that work?

The GPS doesn't have a memory card, but the tablet has a USB connection. Will that work?

Are you using an iPad? Apple might have changed this, but I read the USB port provided by the camera connection kit lets you use the port to connect to a camera, USB microphone/headset, some keyboards, and nothing else. I don't think an app exists that would let you transfer caches from the iPad to your GPS.

You might want to get one of those laptop-tablet hybrids, which run Windows (and GSAK) and look and act like a laptop, but lets you rotate the screen 180 degrees and fold it flat over the keyboard.

As mentioned above you can put it on a sdcard and move it back and forth. With one exception you cannot hook your GPS up to a tablet and transfer data. That is because the tablet lacks the host controller software. There is one tablet with that (I think it its the Toshiba). Look for the tablet that has a standard usb connection which is required for the host controller. Nor a mini or micro.

You can view GSAK databases on an Android device using GDAK.

What GPS do you have? When I connect my Garmin Oregon to my Asus Transformer, I can copy PQs to the Oregon, or read field notes from the Oregon and upload it through the Transformer. If your GPS does not support USB Mass Storage Class (look like a drive when you connect it to your computer) you're out of luck.

If you go with an iPad, you could quit using GSAK altogether. When your PQ arrives in your email, open it in the GeoSphere app. You can do a lot in the app to view what types of caches you want to hunt. If your hunt is urban, or you have some means of protecting the device from the elements, you can also use the app to actually hunt for the cache. Works very much like the Groundspeak app at that point. Getting them from the iPad to a handheld GPS would still be a problem.

I'm seriously considering getting a Toshiba Thrive tablet soon (really, I'm just waiting to see if there will be any Xmas sales on it). It has a full size USB port built in, and after testing a friend's Thrive, it connects to my Oregon 450 just like a laptop. It will be easy to save and download PQs to it. The Thrive is a little fatter and heavier than the newest generation of tablets, but the full size ports (USB, HDMI, and SD cardreader) and replaceable battery put it over the top for me.

If you go with an iPad, you could quit using GSAK altogether.

Dang it Riffster, you beat ne to it AGAIN :D

I've been using Geosphere as my primary filtering tool for months now. Not as full featured as GSAK but more than adequate for my needs. My usual workflow is now the reverse of what most people used to do for paperless caching -- download and filter on my iPhone FIRST, then send it BACK to the computer to sync with other devices...

- Use my iPhone to download my pocket queries, which amount to a few thousand caches updated daily.

- If I'm planning to go caching that day, use Geosphere to filter a subset of 500 or fewer (what fits on my eTrex 10) for my hunt of the day

- Export that smaller subset as a GPX file using Tunes wireless sync. Save the GPX in Geosphere on the iPhone and it's instantly available on the computer in iTunes.

- Copy the exported GPX file from iTunes directly to the GPX folder on the Garmin.

I haven't found any way to get the GPX files from the iPhone to the Garmin without sending to the computer first, but the method above works and is easy enough for me.

---

Edited to emphasize that connecting the iPhone to your computer by cable isn't necessary any more, wireless sync in iOS5 is easier.

Edited by Portland Cyclist
I'm seriously considering getting a Toshiba Thrive tablet soon (really, I'm just waiting to see if there will be any Xmas sales on it). It has a full size USB port built in, and after testing a friend's Thrive, it connects to my Oregon 450 just like a laptop. It will be easy to save and download PQs to it. The Thrive is a little fatter and heavier than the newest generation of tablets, but the full size ports (USB, HDMI, and SD cardreader) and replaceable battery put it over the top for me.

You may want to wait a bit to see if the new generation of Tegra 3 tablets drive down the price a bit.

Did you try connecting the Oregon to the tablet with a microSD in the Oregon? When I did that on my Transformer, I could only see the microSD but not the internal memory of the Oregon. If I pop out the microSD, I could see the internal memory of the Oregon.

The Transformer does not have an on-board USB port, but you can add one using an adapter. Granted, it is extra cost, and one more thing to lose. It also requires a proprietary cable and power adapter for charging, and battery is not removable, so if those things are important to you, then the Thrive may be a better choice.

I love GeoBucket on my iPad. I can load caches in a specific map area and download PQs and see them all when offline. There is even a little little blue dot showing where I am.

What I want to do is quickly load a PQ or an individual cache onto my Garmin Nuvi and Oregon 550 from my iPhone when I don't have my net book with me.

We just bought a Acer Iconia but I'm willing to take it back and exchange it for an IPAD.

The Acer Iconia W500 runs on Windows7 and you can run GSAK on it PLUS link it to your GPS.

This would seem to be the way to go. We have an Acer netbook running Win XP and GSAK......works great in the field and is small.

I love GeoBucket on my iPad. I can load caches in a specific map area and download PQs and see them all when offline. There is even a little little blue dot showing where I am.

What I want to do is quickly load a PQ or an individual cache onto my Garmin Nuvi and Oregon 550 from my iPhone when I don't have my net book with me.

I was trying for some cute way to respond to this question which comes up several times a week but will instead keep it simple.

Can't now and never will be able to. iOS prohibits it.

I bought an Acer Aspire One just to run GSAK when I travel. User13371 (AKA Mr. Portland) has a work around when connected to his computer but once he leaves his home (likely with rain gear) he is stuck like us.

Are you using an iPad? Apple might have changed this, but I read the USB port provided by the camera connection kit lets you use the port to connect to a camera, USB microphone/headset, some keyboards, and nothing else. I don't think an app exists that would let you transfer caches from the iPad to your GPS.

You might want to get one of those laptop-tablet hybrids, which run Windows (and GSAK) and look and act like a laptop, but lets you rotate the screen 180 degrees and fold it flat over the keyboard.

Apple is still pretty restrictive with the USB connection on phones and tablets. I like their stuff for a lot of things, but you really can't "replace" a laptop with an ipad, if that's going to be your only computer in the house.

Edited by theosus

Cant see those helping. They still hook up to the iOS system which will only allow certain files to be moved. When some of these external wireless drives first came out there was a thought they would get pst that but a check of the reviews on Amazon showed complaints that they could only be used for pictures and videos.

I actually about a small Android tablet to handle my GPS while traveling but the Acer is so small and cheaper so for that rare occassion this works. In addition the ability to use GSAK onthe road is really nice.

But who knows maybe getting one from Best Buy seeing if it woaks and if not taking it back would be worth a try.

Cant see those helping. They still hook up to the iOS system which will only allow certain files to be moved. ..

Those hubs I posted are cross-platform solutions - will work equally well for Android, iOS, PC, Linux, etc. I routinely copy GPX files and maps from my iPad to my eTrex 20 using my router at home - and these portable ones will do the same.

Folks who complain "IOS can't do that" just haven't taken the time to figure out how to use the software. I use Sratospherix File Browser. There may be other file managers that would work, that's just the one I use.

I've just ordered the RAVpoewer one for the office (for file sharing iwith tablets and smartphones in conference rooms). Should have it some time this week and will let you know how well it works.

Edited by user13371

I didn't buy a tablet specifically because I can't hook it up to my GPS. I already have an iphone 5, so having an IPAD (or similar tablet) would be redundant. I bought and ACER ONE 11.5" netbook with Windows 7 Home Premium on it. I have GSAK loaded on it also. I haven't actually had to use it yet to transfer PQ's to the handheld, but everything is there if/when I need it.

Edited by Lieblweb

I recommend to buy tablet for such apps. IPAD does not provide the support for third party apps. Compatibility issues annoy every time, so better to go for tab.

Really? No support for third party apps? Last time I checked there was 750,000 third party apps available for iOS devices. Now, there is no support for USB "host mode" which makes things a bit difficult for specifically loading a GPS from an iPad but hardly a lack of apps.

...... no support for USB "host mode" makes things a bit difficult for loading a GPS from an iPad...

"A bit difficult" is a good way to put it, as compared to the "can't be done" refrain you usually hear.

I've discussed in other threads how to copy thing from your iPhone or iPad using a router that includes a USB port and Network Attached Storage. Of course, the push back from the "can't do it" folks is "but I can't do that when I'm out geocaching!" or "but my router doesn't support NAS and I'm not going to buy one just for that!"

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I've just ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQUMZRA/ ...

a portable, battery powered wifi hub with both an SD card slot and a USB port. I didn't buy it for geocaching but I will post a geocaching-centric review as soon as I've had a few days to work with it.

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I've just ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQUMZRA/ ...

a portable, battery powered wifi hub with both an SD card slot and a USB port. I didn't buy it for geocaching but I will post a geocaching-centric review as soon as I've had a few days to work with it.

Oh that looks useful for my travel with DSLR and an iPad Mini project. Would be handy for getting photos over to USB HDD without requiring a laptop :)

Walt, NorthernPenguin, &C: The RavPower WiFi disk works perfectly with FileBroswer from Stratospherix. I was able to copy files (maps and GPX files) to and from my iPad. Setting it up took less time than composing this sentence.

And it works for iOS, Android, Linux, and Windows - I've already tested it with all of those combinations around my workplace. I was able to exchange between each of those systems and etrex 20, a flash drive, and to an external hard drive.

I'll likely post pictures and how-to notes in another thread this weekend - unless the weather is so nice that I'd rather be out on my bike. If I can find a collaborator in Portland Oregon, might even do some kind of instructional videos to put on yYoutube.

I hae more uses for this than geocaching, so for me it's worth $50 for the gadget and $8 for FileBrowser. Value equation might differ for others.

Walt - how much time and money have you spend on USB to-go cables, additional power wiring, time/effort making your various devices work?

Edited by user13371

I haven't spent that much money. Less than the $50 for the device you got.But a lot of time and using the phone size screen was not fun. Post the video here is you want when you make it up. I might be interested. The reasons for the laptop were more than just for GSAK although that was a big part.

Might be interesting to see if the Monterra when it comes out will do it directly. I might grab one from REI and see and if it doesn't return it

I had sucess in transferring files from my Note 2 to my Oregon 450 using an OTG cable.

Works well, I see that GDAK now supports gpx file import / export as well.

I was in the market for something with a bigger screen and was looking at the Galaxy Note 10.1

Apart from caching I also wanted to be able to subscribe to the digital version of my regular magazines and read them on a bigger screen.

Plus on trips it would be nice to geotag my RAW photo's and perhaps give them a star rating for later editing in PS.

But that meant finding a few apps to do what I wanted and having to make the tablet jump through a few hoops via apps.

I eventually went for a - Samsung Series 7 ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T

Runs GSAK,Geosetter, Photoshop, Adobe DNG converter, ZINIO reader etc no problem, no hoops and additional cables.

Edited by AndyT1