Delinquent cache owner that needs maintenance

MajesticMike

What do you do when a cache owner needs maintenance on their cache but they've had 6 months to do it but yet nothing has happened?

I don't see a report button?

I've tried contacting the owner but got no reply for months.

There are many fount it logs saying it needs maintenance, and 3 people logged it as Needs Maintenance. It's needed it since May of this year.

cache GC1AQ0W

What do you do when a cache owner needs maintenance on their cache but they've had 6 months to do it but yet nothing has happened?

There are many fount it logs saying it needs maintenance, and 3 people logged it as Needs Maintenance. It's needed it since May of this year.

cache GC1AQ0W

Have you found the cache yourself and witnessed the maintenance issue first hand? If so, with 3 NM logs already posted, I would move to the Needs Archive log.

It doesn't mean it actually needs to be archived. It just alerts the reviewer to the problem. The reviewer will make a decision from there.

The cache owner needs maintenance? :blink:

You've posted a NM log.

Unless you want to take the step to post a "Should be archived", then there's not much more to do other than forget about it, move on, don't obsess over it.

I was wondering about that myself. How does one know if a CO need maintenance?

But anyways.

Similar instance (and my answer): I found a cache that was missing half the cover. It had 2 NM in the last four months. CO has not signed on in seven months. Yup. Time for NA. Friend of CO has performed maintenance and is asking the reviewer to re-enable the cache.

Sometimes that's what it takes.

Looks like the co is not a very active cacher. Hasn't been online since July. It looks like a na log is in order. If you live close and want to try an adopt it make a note in the log.

If you look at the cache owner's finds, you will see that he apparently travels quite a bit. Michigan, Germany, Ohio... and so on. It is possible that he is unable to get to the cache right now. However, given that he only has 51 finds and the last one was this spring, I'm guessing more that he was a temporary geocacher that has since gone on to other things. A NA log would indeed be appropriate, in my opinion. The reviewer will probably post a note, giving the cache owner some time to respond or fix things up, and if there is no response, archive it.

As to adopting... you can't adopt from a cacher that won't answer his emails. Moreover... please don't adopt just for the sake of adopting. Unless it is a cache of some historical importance (there are very few of those) wait until it gets archived, and if the place is worthy of a cache, put out a new one so you will bring people back that already found the older one. Personally, I would like to see cache adoption stopped.

Personally, I would like to see cache adoption stopped.

I have a slightly different take on this issue.

Please see my log at: http://coord.info/GC15GZX

The CO passed away last year. I found both caches she hid, and although I only met her once, I became a police officer in the town she was from, and have grown quite close to the friends and family she left behind.

After posting the log, I went to the VFW where all the ladies she knew were in tears... and her husband was there. One of the ladies received the facebook alert on my status, and they all knew about it before I got there.

The bartender came up to me and told me I *HAD* to tell her husband. So I went and sat with him and told him all about it. He knew of one of the caches his wife hid, but didn't know about the other. After explaining the condition of the caches, and expressing my willingness to provide the much needed maintenance, he told me she would want me to adopt her caches.

So.... how do I go about doing that?

The CO passed away last year. I found both caches she hid, and although I only met her once, I became a police officer in the town she was from, and have grown quite close to the friends and family she left behind.

After posting the log, I went to the VFW where all the ladies she knew were in tears... and her husband was there. One of the ladies received the facebook alert on my status, and they all knew about it before I got there.

The bartender came up to me and told me I *HAD* to tell her husband. So I went and sat with him and told him all about it. He knew of one of the caches his wife hid, but didn't know about the other. After explaining the condition of the caches, and expressing my willingness to provide the much needed maintenance, he told me she would want me to adopt her caches.

Glimmereyes got it right. Her husband will need access to her geocaching account, I suspect, so that he can approve of the adoption. But as an alternative to adoption, you could have put your own tribute cache to her out in the same spot, and that would bring cachers back that had found the previous one. They will not be back for the adopted cache.

Cache adoption Knowledgebook

Someone with access to her Geocaching account would need to start the adoption process by heading Here. If no one has access to her account, could e-mail Groundspeak and see if they'll transfer ownership since the CO passed away but that's a long shot.

One additional option may be for the family member to use the Password Recovery feature, assuming that the family member has access to the email account with which the geocaching username was initially created. Then they could log in and initiate the adoption process (which is really easy).

I've adopted a few caches from someone that left the area a few years. At the time I joined, that CO was one of the most well known cachers in the area and had a collection of some creative (and not necessarily difficult) puzzle caches. He also created a multi cache that is still one of my favorite caches I've ever found. Preserving his caches in the area, IMHO, preserves the history of geocaching in my area. I also adopted the first cache that I ever found when it's owner moved away. It's probably one of the most frequently found caches in the area due to it's location, the view, and ease in finding it.

Cache adoption Knowledgebook

Someone with access to her Geocaching account would need to start the adoption process by heading Here. If no one has access to her account, could e-mail Groundspeak and see if they'll transfer ownership since the CO passed away but that's a long shot.

It would not be a long shot at all if the e-mail to Groundspeak came from the husband of the deceased geocacher. If the gentleman requests that the caches be adopted to hydrashok407, I'm almost certain that Groundspeak will oblige.

I wish the "Needs Maintenance" and "Needs Archive" log types were changed to "Alert Cache Owner" and "Alert Reviewer". If it's a minor issue (log is full, lid is cracked, etc.) then it's just a post note for the cache owner.

If it's a major issue, (on private property, been missing for a long time, etc.) then the Reviewer should be notified so they can take action. Think of the "Needs Archive" button as just a way to alert the Reviewers of the situation. I try to word my NA logs to say that the cache needs some TLC, but failing that it should be archived. That way the cache owner knows I'm not just out to get them.

Edit to add:

By the way, when you do submit a NA log, the cache is not usually archived immediately (unless perhaps it was a major issue such as security asking for a cache to be removed). If it is a cache that just needs maintenance, the Reviewers typically disable the listing and give the cache owner x amount of days to correct the issue. If they still do not respond in that time, then the cache gets archived.

Edited by junglehair

I drop a Needs maintenance log weekly X 2 or 3 ... then if no response ... I drop a Needs Archived Log.

I think that dropping a needs maintenance log 2 or 3 times a week would be harassment. Really, all you should ever need to post is one. Keep an eye on it and if the problem isn't resolved, then post a Needs Archived. But don't attempt to nag the cache owner with repetitious NM logs.

I drop a Needs maintenance log weekly X 2 or 3 ... then if no response ... I drop a Needs Archived Log.

I think that dropping a needs maintenance log 2 or 3 times a week would be harassment. Really, all you should ever need to post is one. Keep an eye on it and if the problem isn't resolved, then post a Needs Archived. But don't attempt to nag the cache owner with repetitious NM logs.

I think you read it wrong. I chart how this is written and how I read it is that the person will post a NM one time a week for 2-3 weeks. Still nagging I think even once a week. I'd post it once and if it remains a problem log a NA.

You found this cache over a year ago and posted a nice log. Then this past summer you posted a Needs Maintenance log. It's now time to post a needs archived log and leave the issue to the reviewers.

If the OP found it over a year ago, I guess my question would be why the OP is obsessing over it? It is no longer their issue.

If it is that big a deal to you, fix it.

Edited by baloo&bd

I tend to agree that a NA log could resolve the issue, though I will add one extra step that I do, just because I'm kinda quirky that way; I will not post what I consider to be an armchair NA. If the condition of a cache, that I've found previously, troubles me for some reason, I will revisit it prior to posting anything, so my log is based upon actual observations, and not guesswork based on other people's logs.

I tend to agree that a NA log could resolve the issue, though I will add one extra step that I do, just because I'm kinda quirky that way; I will not post what I consider to be an armchair NA. If the condition of a cache, that I've found previously, troubles me for some reason, I will revisit it prior to posting anything, so my log is based upon actual observations, and not guesswork based on other people's logs.

That's not quirky. It's the proper way to do it (IMHO).

That's not quirky. It's the proper way to do it (IMHO).

Or, we're both quirky... :ph34r::blink::P

cache GC1AQ0W

What kind of maintenance is needed? Does the cache just need a new log sheet or a pencil? You can add a log sheet or a pen to a cache without waiting for a cache owner to do it. Is the container broken or leaking? You may be able to replace the container if you have something similar. But if the owner has hidden an unusual container or has camouflaged it in some special way you should try and contact them first to make sure it is okay to replace it. If the cache hasn't been found, some people will replace the container (especially if they found the cache before and know where it should be). Container replacement is frowned upon by some, especially when done by without the owners permission or when a person claims a find on the cache they replaced. My personal opinion is that replacement should never be done without permission from the cache owner.

Some maintenance must be done by the cache owner. For example renewing a permit for placing a cache, or moving the cache to a different location (only the cache owner can update to coordinates on the cache page).

If a cache is missing (or in such bad shape that the log cannot be signed and if replaced would soon become unsignable again, and the cache owner is not responding to NM logs, then it is proper procedure to follow up with a Needs Archive.

I wish the "Needs Maintenance" and "Needs Archive" log types were changed to "Alert Cache Owner" and "Alert Reviewer".

+1