listing changed/archived caches

Mopar

We all agree geocaching is growing by leaps and bounds. This is a good thing, of course, but as the number of local caches grow, waypoint management is getting harder. I have close to 650 active caches within 100 miles, and over 525 within 75 miles. I often do caches spur of the moment, just because I happen to be in the area, so I keep as many caches as possible loaded in my GPS. I'm constantly bumping up against my 500 waypoint limit. Its just impossible to notice looking at the local caches list if a cache that was on there last week has been archived, or been edited.

There has been plenty of talk over the last year about ensuring the freshness of the cache database, but once that data gets moved to my GPS, it's very hard to maintain that freshness. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's hunted a cache, only to find it had been archived since adding the waypoint.

Presently, deleting all my cache waypoints every week, and then getting a fresh list is the only solution to this. Editing 500 comment fields and icons every week is too time consuming to really be a viable option.

A way to search for archived/edited caches would be ideal.

At the very least, how about including a list of newly archived and edited caches along with the new caches in my weekly cache notification email.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

I actually contact Jeremy about the reverse: getting notification when a cache is un-archived. Example: Someone archives a cache because it's plundered. They go out and fix it and correct the page as necessary and then ask Jeremy to reinstate the original cache (unarchive it). There's no notification that this cache is back in service.

My suggestion at the time was that the back-end of the system track the date the cache is archived and the date the cache is unarchived, and send this data out in the weekly notification (for some reason, I don't seem to be getting these weekly?).

He indicated that it was a good idea, but that it might take some effort.

Maybe if he can kill two birds with one stone, it would get bumped up the TODO list. icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

I actually contact Jeremy about the reverse: getting notification when a cache is un-archived. Example: Someone archives a cache because it's plundered. They go out and fix it and correct the page as necessary and then ask Jeremy to reinstate the original cache (unarchive it). There's no notification that this cache is back in service.

My suggestion at the time was that the back-end of the system track the date the cache is archived and the date the cache is unarchived, and send this data out in the weekly notification (for some reason, I don't seem to be getting these weekly?).

He indicated that it was a good idea, but that it might take some effort.

Maybe if he can kill two birds with one stone, it would get bumped up the TODO list. icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

...I use a different GPS than, well, most everyone. It's a Geode GPS that plugs into my Handspring Visor (PDA). The nice thing is that the PDA has few limitations that conventional GPS units have.

At any rate, what would be really nice would be the ability to download one big file with all the caches for a county or state, updated ...say, daily.

I dunno if you guys can upload one big file of waypoints to your GPS, but I know I can. And I wish I could download such a thing to my GPS unit. It's hard to keep up with all the archived caches, new caches, etc, etc.

"What you do today will cost you a day of your life." --jabber's sig on /. and k5.

quote:
Originally posted by Exocet:

what would be really nice would be the ability to download one big file with all the caches for a county or state, updated ...say, daily.

That would be nice too, but would I wouldnt want to have to go thru those 500 caches and comment them, manually enter parking locations, change icons for found, not found, vituals, etc, every day! Especially since 495 of those 500 caches havent changed. If I had a list/email of changed and archived caches, I could just make the changes in EasyGPS and update the waypoints in the GPS.

Illegitimus non carborundum!