Cheap Boots

Oh dude. I bought a pair of Regatta boots earlier this year for £60. Absolute rubbish!

One of the soles peeled off after three walks. I glued it back on. Shoelaces both snapped the next time I used them. They both leaked from day one. The heel collapsed after the fifth walk, meaning that the boot had a definite left tilt and as it was 3 miles back to the car, by the time I got there I had strained ligaments. I binned them at the car park and drove home in my socks.

I wouldn't class £60 "cheap", and they were very comfortable in the shop, but I'll not be buying Regatta boots again any time soon!

(I now have a pair of Berghaus that the missis got in some sales cheap - very very nice boots)

Edited by dartymoor

I guess regatta are crap then :). I was drawn to the £80 RRP half price bit (and a name I've heard of), plus they are very comfortable (much more so than the karrimor "trainer" type that I have).

I can't see a problem returning them to the shop, getting a replacement pair might be though as Halifax isn't renowned for good value outdoor shops :)...might be a trip to Castleford on the cards in the near future! (mountain warehouse and others)

Aldi have a range [well different sizes/ male /female anyway] of boots for about £25. They stock them about 2 or 3 times a year. I bought a pair to live in my second car and honestly they are o.k !

The soles are rather bendy and they are not goretex lined so leak in wet weather but are as good as any other 'cheap' boots costing £30 times as much.

For long walks / the mountains I still use my mountaineering boots which cost me approx £140 more ,but the Aldi ones are o.k

I always buy the best I can afford, as I do in excess of 1000 miles each year in them. Recently purchased a set of Meindl's with a memory foam inner, just like wearing my slippers.

I have tried Regatta's, Hi-Tec's etc but they just ain't for me. But I have been told I have funny shaped feet so perhaps it's just me.

I know these are not what ‘walkers’ would consider ‘walking boots’ .... But.....

ukpara.gif

They are very light weight (You don’t even notice your are wearing boots at all)

They are waterproof (I have paddled through streams and feet have stayed dry)

I wear them every day for work (and I do do some miles while working)

I always wear them for caching, I even wear them for weddings! :laughing:

I have walked long distances (Do you remember the walk from Llandudno to Abergele Don? 23 miles)

I wear them crossing muddy fields, cow pat farm yards, across rocky beaches and scrambled up a rock face or two and still kept my footing.

I buy a new pair about every 3 to 4 years and they cost anything from £30 to £50 (depending where I get them.

They polish up like a dream and look great with a mini skirt!

black-zara-blouse-glitterati-skirt-black-random-find-boots-black-anthology_med.jpg

((NOT ME!))

I wear padded army socks with them (£1 each from army & navy stores) so my feet never get sore and blistered no matter how many miles I do.

wooly%20socks%20.jpg

I have slept in them numerous times (on cold camping trips)........ What more can I say?

>>Except to find my size is a lot harder than your average person (size 3) <<

12161376611737574266drunken_duck_boots_stiefel.svg.med.png

As the original poster, I had a cheapish pair made by Regatta. Though mine lasted quite well. I have done many miles in them, but they are now consigned to just occasional light use, as a couple of the cloth lace eyes (my pair has a mixture of metal and cloth eyes) have disintegrated. For hiking boots since that pair I have looked to have all metal eyes.. though you don't seem to have had luck with metal ones either.

@FantasyRaider.. I have some fun fashion boots too. Although they are comfortable to wear, and have worn them on whole days out to London and concerts, I wouldn't go hiking in mine.. way too heavy.

My old Regatta pair next to my pair of Demonia's:

DSC00858.jpg

@FantasyRaider.. I have some fun fashion boots too. Although they are comfortable to wear, and have worn them on whole days out to London and concerts, I wouldn't go hiking in mine.. way too heavy.

My old Regatta pair next to my pair of Demonia's:

DSC00858.jpg

Good Lord ...I had a pair of 'Rock' boots when i was a young lass, with soles like that. :laughing:

But my boots are plain old army boots ...nothing fashionable about them & they are REALLY light!

I generally get cheap boots from the factory shop, brantano, sports direct and other cut price outfits, and they are so hit and miss. I have decided they are generally seconds of some kind and it depends what the problem was whether they last. I bought a great pair from factory shop about 7 years ago, they were by Groundwork and lasted me about 3 years for £15, wore them everywhere, not just hiking, cos they looked good, were lightweight and had great ankle support, never seen them again. Still have them for dry day walks even though the soles now leak. They are brown with little bits of pink on just to make me feel a bit girly, but I have always suspected it was the colour choice that meant they ended up in the cheap bin. Others you can pay up to £30 and they fall apart in a few weeks.

The factory shop is great though, everytime we go we guess at what we will get free, another time I got a pair of awesome trainers free, they just forgot to scan them, other times they seem to have the wrong prices on them, I always make the husband walk away from the till so he doesn't break out in a big grin when he realises they have messed it up again :D

Just to update

The replacement boots lasted 70 miles and the sole started to fall off. Receipt lost so I fired off an email to regatta customer services just explaining my displeasure at their kit. Probably not helped by my buying a coat from them without reading the label carefully, waterproof is good, not breathable is bad, and means that I may as well wear a binbag.

Anyway, CS gave me the number of the "local" store, and they replaced with yet another pair the same, hopefully this time it's a good'un, though we were in Bakewell a few weeks ago eyeing up Brashers, maybe when I've got a few quid spare....

Just to update

The replacement boots lasted 70 miles and the sole started to fall off. Receipt lost so I fired off an email to regatta customer services just explaining my displeasure at their kit. Probably not helped by my buying a coat from them without reading the label carefully, waterproof is good, not breathable is bad, and means that I may as well wear a binbag.

Anyway, CS gave me the number of the "local" store, and they replaced with yet another pair the same, hopefully this time it's a good'un, though we were in Bakewell a few weeks ago eyeing up Brashers, maybe when I've got a few quid spare....

Ex Military combat boots, £10 each, does the job nicely, as long as they're kept clean, and left to dry out properly they're fine! :anitongue: