Asking to put it in their own words?

releasethedogs

I ask in my earthcache to find a named rock formation in a cave. They know this because it is noted on the sign. For the answer is it acceptable or not to just copy the sign? Not sure if this meets the educational requirements or not. Not sure how much they can learn by taking a photo of the sign and then copying it into an email later.

A little more information might help us come up with more ideas. Is it a certain kind of formation (stalactite, stalagmite, soda straw, etc) or is it just named after something it resembles (rooster rock, frog rock, etc)?

If it's the first sort, perhaps you could have them describe it to you and explain why it is that kind of formation, instead of another sort (possibly from a list of three or four types you give details about)?

Or have them explain how that type of formation "proves how the cave formed" (if, for example, it's flowstone caused by the chemicals in the waters that seeps through rocks, which supports karst processes formed the cave).

I'd say just telling you the words on the sign is slightly useful as a 'proof-of-visit' logging task, but not a good learning activity.

Is this the EarthCache?

If so, I like that question!

...unless of course the answer is spelled out on the sign. Even then it's still "OK" (because they at least I'd have to read the sign and learn something) it's just not as exciting as learning something more than I could from just reading a sign. I like to take something extra away from a visit to cool places. That's why I like to tag along with the managers of places like that, so I can learn extra little tidbits of info.

The learning is better if the cacher must process the info on the sign before answering the question. Just copying the sign suggests little processing and, hence, little learning. I would discourage this type of answer by expressly forbidding it on the cache page. Otherwise, you have no choice but to accept the answer because they did answer it.

I ask in my earthcache to find a named rock formation in a cave. They know this because it is noted on the sign. For the answer is it acceptable or not to just copy the sign? Not sure if this meets the educational requirements or not. Not sure how much they can learn by taking a photo of the sign and then copying it into an email later.

(Bolding mine)

From what you have said right here, I could surmise that all I have to do is send you a note saying "Found it". I don't have to tell you a thing about it and you don't ask for a photo. SO... to answer your question (IMHO) a photo at least proves they saw it. And what is the difference between a photo of the sign and someone typing out "Big Rock Candy Mountain"? Both tell you the name of the rock.