What about sending messages through profile?

magkirk

I think it works fine... as long as the sender ensures that they check the box underneath their email text box, "I want to send my email address along with this message."

Then, the recipient can reply directly to them when they click on the 'Reply' button.

If the sender hasn't checked that little box and the recipient clicks 'Reply' then their reply email flies off into the ether to the land of <noreply@geocaching.com> never to be seen again by man nor hamster. <_<

MrsB

Maybe kunarion would care to comment?

Why Kunarion?

Probably because

I have contacted him/her a threetimes (in english and in swedish), but he/she didn't replied! :mad:

I really don't know, what to do. :(

The Profile messages don't work. They tend to disappear when you send them, and even more so when someone replies (the TB holder may have answered your email, and you never got it). It's a problem.

MrsB :)

Maybe kunarion would care to comment?

Why Kunarion?

Probably because

I have contacted him/her a threetimes (in english and in swedish), but he/she didn't replied! :mad:

I really don't know, what to do. :(

The Profile messages don't work. They tend to disappear when you send them, and even more so when someone replies (the TB holder may have answered your email, and you never got it). It's a problem.

MrsB :)

I captured the effect in progress one day, couple of months ago. I sent a profile message to a member, he sent one to me, neither of us got a message, and neither of us got a notice that the message was sent. I typed the play-by-play right here in the forum, as it happpened (or didn't happen). Documented fact, timestamps, solid evidence, no doubt, it's real*. Still nobody believes me. Which is beside the point. :anicute:

There are so many ways communication can fail around here, you must type your message directly into a log, for the cache or trackable (unless it's for the member's eyes only, in which case, you may still log and mention sending a message). This bypasses mail server problems (or user errors, or anything else that causes a breakdown in communication) wherever they occur.

*I also did a nice write-up in a couple of spots in the Feedback Site which has now been shut down.

Edited by kunarion

I have used the profile email many times and never a problem. I would suspect most problems have to do with filters on the received side or maybe the receiver chooses not to answer and says it want received.

That's my guess as well.

I captured the effect in progress one day, couple of months ago. I sent a profile message to a member, he sent one to me, neither of us got a message, and neither of us got a notice that the message was sent. I typed the play-by-play right here in the forum, as it happpened (or didn't happen). Documented fact, timestamps, solid evidence, no doubt, it really happened. Still nobody believes me. Which is beside the point. :anicute:

There are so many ways communication can fail around here, you must type your message directly into a log, for the cache or trackable (unless it's for the member's eyes only). This bypasses mail server problems wherever they occur.

Can we get a link to the thread? I missed it.

As a side note, not having seen your thread, you will not get a copy of the message unless you check the box that says you want to receive a copy of it.

I have never had problems sending messages via the profile. And as of yet, I've not had anyone not reply to me.

However, I do experience that quite a lot in the forums. But that's another issue altogether.

However, I do experience that quite a lot in the forums. But that's another issue altogether.

You get ignored like me when you post a helpful message? :P

I found it. LINK

For a few days anyway. A lot of folks don't see the message indicator here. (And yes, I suspect some ignore me on purpose. You know who you are. :anibad: )

You get ignored like me when you post a helpful message? :P

I found it. LINK

For a few days anyway. A lot of folks don't see the message indicator here. (And yes, I suspect some ignore me on purpose. You know who you are. :anibad: )

Can you find the old "new and improved" Feedback site (the recently gone version)? I can't find any posts or anything about this effect (I had all the appropriate links and stuff there). Next time it crops up, I'll perform it live again. Pay attention if you enjoy that sort of thing.

I really only did it for the purpose of watching it in action (members not getting profile messages). I thought for sure it was a box not clicked or Spam folders not set up or people deleting messages accidentally or on purpose. Something dumb that people were doing that makes messages go boom. Until I could actually see messages evaporating, I chalked it up to operator error. If there's a message problem, there's nothing in the universe I can do about it... even if I prove it happens (which I'm pretty sure I did). I merely did it for my own edification, your results may vary.

I know, I've heard that "it works for everybody" (despite hundreds of forum posts around here like "I sent a message and got no reply!!"). Go ahead and do it as you see fit, but if you don't get a reply, try a more direct route.

Edited by kunarion

I know, I've heard that "it works for everybody" (despite hundreds of forum posts around here like "I sent a message and got no reply!!"). Go ahead and do it as you see fit, but if you don't get a reply, try a more direct route.

Ahhhh, grasshopper, "I sent a message and got no reply!" is not the same as "I sent a message and it was never received." ;)

Ahhhh, grasshopper, "I sent a message and got no reply!" is not the same as "I sent a message and it was never received." ;)

Yes, that was my theory as well. Which is one reason I put it to the test.

But if you send a message and get no reply, it doesn't matter where the breakdown happened. Place the message into a log note, and you're done. As a bonus, messages get sent (because it's working fine).

If we can all agree that it's working fine now, maybe some behind-the-scenes update happened, then let's drop it. I promise to stop telling people it's broken, since it's not broken now. It got fixed. It doesn't even matter if it ever was broken, because it's not. It's ancient history. So that's settled. And pay attention, cause next time I'll perform it live again. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

Yes, that was my theory as well. Which is one reason I put it to the test.

But if you send a message and get no reply, it doesn't matter where the breakdown happened. Place the message into a log note, and you're done. As a bonus, maybe messages get sent.

If we can all agree that it's working fine now, maybe some behind-the-scenes update happened, then let's drop it. I promise to stop telling people it's broken, since it's not broken now. It got fixed. It doesn't even matter is it ever was broken, because it's not. So that's settled. And pay attention, cause next time I'll perform it live again. :ph34r:

Since the other feedback site is no longer available, can you repeat your methodology here?

Since the other feedback site is no longer available, can you repeat your methodology here?

That site's still there, or it was. What's the URL? I hoped it hasn't been wiped.

One day someone mentioned his messages were going into limbo. I thought, "yeah right, let's see what he's doing wrong", and I sent him messages, he sent some to me. No messages, no notices arrived on either end. That's not possible if it "works fine". We were on two different ISPs, which makes it less likely it was an ISP issue. At least one of the test messages did get to me a few days later. We sent email directly to each other at that time, as well (those worked fine). I think that about covers the stuff I tried.

If an email remains in limbo floating in the Interweb, any servers will eventually discard it. The way GS works, profile message email is not returned undeliverable ("bounced emails"), it's killed. My theory is the messages were somehow trapped inside GS mail servers (and so there's the limbo thing, time limited to delete at some point), but I actually can't tell what was going wrong. It's all well beyond what I can do. I just wanted to see if it was something simple that the guy needed to change.

Edited by kunarion

Serendipity.

My real concern was, if someone writes to me, they never know I didn't get the message. But if the system is working, all is well, since I can be confident that the lack of a message simply means none was sent.

One of my ideas was to have an indicator on the web site when someone attempts to send me a Profile message. But I don't remember actually posting that on the Feedback site due to the fact that now that I think about it, it seems pointless and silly to suggest (if the actual message can't itself be shown on the site).

Did I ever mention how sweet the message system is? I don't know what I was thinking. I hope nobody got the impression that there's an issue, because there's certainly not. Boy is it nice. It works fine. Wow, I love it. Sweet!

Edited by kunarion

My real concern was, if someone writes to me, they never know I didn't get the message. But if the system is working, all is well, since I can be confident that the lack of a message simply means none was sent.

One of my ideas was to have an indicator on the web site when someone attempts to send me a Profile message. But I don't remember actually posting that on the Feedback site due to the fact that now that I think about it, it seems pointless and silly to suggest (if the actual message can't itself be shown on the site)

You're right, that is a concern. I wasn't looking at it that way. Sorry.

Very true, I have no idea if someone tried to contact me, if the system has failed. I only know about the emails that got through the system.

And the option of sending a copy of the email to yourself doesn't help much, does it?

You know, there is the "new" feedback forum, where features can be requested:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=8

I think it works fine... as long as the sender ensures that they check the box underneath their email text box, "I want to send my email address along with this message."

Then, the recipient can reply directly to them when they click on the 'Reply' button.

If the sender hasn't checked that little box and the recipient clicks 'Reply' then their reply email flies off into the ether to the land of <noreply@geocaching.com> never to be seen again by man nor hamster. <_<

MrsB

Thanks for saving me the time. This is the real issue. Somebody gets an email, they think they replied to it, but it goes to the noreply address.

Given up on this as nobody ever writes back.

only time i use it now is if someone initiates contact through it first.

My experience is very different. Might be a regional thing. I'd estimate that I get a 95% response rate when I send a message to someone, even a total stranger, when I send them a message through their profile.

--Larry

About a month ago, I sent an email requesting a small hint on puzzle to the CO. I had solved the puzzle, came up with a solution (which was the hardest part of the puzzle) but didn't know how to convert the answer to numbers. I simply asked if I was on the right track.

No reply.

I found it strange. Even if you replied with, "sorry, I don't give hints" it would be better than no response. This is a measly 2.5 puzzle, and since I'm new to puzzles, I just don't have a big list of puzzle-solving tools under my belt.

I now wonder if he just didn't get my email? To be completely honest, this is the ONLY time I've ever had someone ignore a simple request for help. It just seemed strange.

My experience is very different. Might be a regional thing. I'd estimate that I get a 95% response rate when I send a message to someone, even a total stranger, when I send them a message through their profile.

--Larry

Same here. I email people using the system all the time! I had nothing but success with people emailing me back, and usually within a few hours! (with my one exception above)

Edited by JesandTodd

Feel free to sent a test message to us via our profile. I promise to send a reply... if it arrives!

MrsB

I sent you a test message 30 mins ago, just when you posted this....

Safely received... and replied. (Slight delay in sending reply due to daughter on the phone requiring Motherly advice on some cooking utensils! :D )

MrsB