SUBMITTED (32023) - [FEATURE] Allow user-corrected co-ordinates on ALL caches

AZcachemeister

Ideally, any cache with 'bad' co-ordinates will quickly be corrected by an attentive CO.

Unfortunately there are more than a few cases where the owner doesn't know how to correct the co-ordinates and posts a note (or maybe some text in the body of the description). Sometimes the CO just doesn't seem to care and does nothing, despite the complaints and correct co-ordinates posted by finders.

I would like the opportunity to 'fix' the co-ordinates for myself if I so choose.

... the owner doesn't know how to correct the co-ordinates and posts a note (or maybe some text in the body of the description). Sometimes the CO just doesn't seem to care and does nothing

Rather than put a band-aid on the problem, more people should post a Needs Reviewer Attention[1] log and ask the reviewer to fix the coordinates for everyone.

[1] Unfortunately the "Needs Reviewer Attention" log is currently called a "Needs Archived" log. But that's a whole 'nuther bug report.

I was going to reply with this in the most-recently bumped thread. Better, I think, to bump the original post for this oft-requested feature.

Here's a list of topics that I could find (including this one):

Contained within those posts are these official responses:

We are planning to extend this functionality to all cache types.

It is planned to extend this functionality to all cache types. Before we do so, we are working on improving the mechanism so that the API and web site do a better job recognizing and synchronizing a user's changes.

It seems to be working for me. Keep in mind that only multi and unknown caches are able to use this feature at this time.

I am wondering if it is possible to get an update on any progress that has been made in implementing this feature?

I was going to reply with this in the most-recently bumped thread. Better, I think, to bump the original post for this oft-requested feature.

Here's a list of topics that I could find (including this one):

Contained within those posts are these official responses:

It is planned to extend this functionality to all cache types. Before we do so, we are working on improving the mechanism so that the API and web site do a better job recognizing and synchronizing a user's changes.

It seems to be working for me. Keep in mind that only multi and unknown caches are able to use this feature at this time.

I am wondering if it is possible to get an update on any progress that has been made in implementing this feature?

Now I am wondering if it possible to get an update on whether or not you will be updating us on any progress on implementing this feature?

Its OK to say no -- that way we know you are reading these threads and will stop bumping them.

Thanks!

Now I am wondering if it possible to get an update on whether or not you will be updating us on any progress on implementing this feature?

Its OK to say no -- that way we know you are reading these threads and will stop bumping them.

Thanks!

We've been told in the past that they do indeed read these threads, but don't respond because we have "unrealistic expectations":

We always read them. Since responding seems to lead to unrealistic expectations, we have cut back on doing so.

I personally don't consider silence to be the best choice, but it's the direction they've chosen and there isn't much we can do about it.

We've been told in the past that they do indeed read these threads, but don't respond because we have "unrealistic expectations":

That's fair, for threads where suggestions are made and no response at all is made by TPTB. However, the three threads I bumped all contained messages from TPTB that have set expectations which should be addressed:

It's a good ideea. I submitted the feature request to our tracking system.

Jeremy Irish

Geocaching HQ Staff

I can't give you any specifics or a timeframe, but an overhaul of the trackables system is currently in the brainstorming phase.

I personally don't consider silence to be the best choice, but it's the direction they've chosen and there isn't much we can do about it.

In these instances they should have stayed completely silent in the first place. Now we have expectations, realistic or not, set by them that something might actually happen. If they aren't going to implement these things then let us know.

Yes, it's most unrealistic and unreasonable of us to expect them to listen to what their paying customers have been requesting for years. It'd distract them from all the other stuff that nobody has asked for...

The last thing I want is someone changing the coordinates for my caches. Why should we assume that the "finder" has a better handle on getting quality coordinates than the person who places the cache?

Sounds like an ideal way for folks to screw up puzzle caches. Just post the final coordinates then no one else would have to try to do the puzzle.

Edited by two bison

The last thing I want is someone changing the coordinates for my caches. Why should we assume that the "finder" has a better handle on getting quality coordinates than the person who places the cache?

Sounds like an ideal way for folks to screw up puzzle caches. Just post the final coordinates then no one else would have to try to do the puzzle.

That's not how it works. If I change the co-ords on a cache it only changes the co-ords presented to ME, nobody else sees those changed co-ords. And FWIW this has been available to multi and puzzle caches for ages, and no puzzles have been screwed up because of it...

... the owner doesn't know how to correct the co-ordinates and posts a note (or maybe some text in the body of the description). Sometimes the CO just doesn't seem to care and does nothing

Rather than put a band-aid on the problem, more people should post a Needs Reviewer Attention[1] log and ask the reviewer to fix the coordinates for everyone.

[1] Unfortunately the "Needs Reviewer Attention" log is currently called a "Needs Archived" log. But that's a whole 'nuther bug report.

A reviewer once said that he/she wouldn't update coords without the CO's written permission. So even if the "CO just doesn't seem to care and does nothing" the reviewer will most likely not change the coords for the CO.

A reviewer once said that he/she wouldn't update coords without the CO's written permission. So even if the "CO just doesn't seem to care and does nothing" the reviewer will most likely not change the coords for the CO.

That's just not true, reviewers change the coordinates for caches frequently. There's even a special log type just for that.

That's just not true, reviewers change the coordinates for caches frequently. There's even a special log type just for that.

...but are they doing that without a request from the CO? I agree that it's common for reviewers to update coordinates on behalf of a CO, but only when the CO asks the reviewer to change them (usually because the change will be more than 161 meters/528 feet). I can't recall ever seeing a reviewer update the coordinates without the CO's permission.

That log type doesn't involve a reviewer. It moves the coords to the ones given by the CO and they must not be more thatn 528 feet.

This thread is not about changing the coords of a cache... this thread is about changing the *user-corrected* coordinates (the "pencil" icon).

And yes... PLEASE... enable this on ALL cache types. More than a half of all letterboxes (at least here in CH) do have a puzzle to solve and it's a pain to manage these solved caches without an external tool.