PROPOSAL: An Off-Topic Forum

AlphaOp

(This post was moved from the "general" area once it was brought to my attention that this would be a better area.)

Hey, there are a lot of neat people here at the Groundspeak forums, and this is a great place to discuss (if not the only?) geocaching. However, has anyone ever thought about the addition of an off-topic board here on the Groundspeak forums?

I frequent the OTF at planet Deus Ex, discovering it almost by accident, and I found it to be incredibly interesting and fun. Perhalps a place for "shooting the breeze" on the Groundspeak forums would be a good idea? icon_cool.gif

-ALPHA

CODENAME: ALPHA OPERATOR

daedalus://govlink/secure/majestic/12.12.12/ops/throne/AO

MAJESTIC-12: THRONE G6 LEVEL AGENT

http://www.planetdeusex.com

Wonderful! I'm pleasantly surprised at the support. I hope that the moderators or administrators consider this idea. (Well, it's not a very difficult procedure, to the best of my knowledge to add a new board to a system like this.) Like I said before, it would be an excellent place for everything else- intellectual discussions, conversations about current events and politics, and, of course, exchanging pictures of our pets. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Alpha Operator:

it would be an excellent place for everything else- intellectual discussions, conversations about current events and politics

Whenever I get into intellectual discussions or conversations about current events and politics, it generally turns out that nobody likes me anymore..... icon_frown.gif

GO FOR IT!!!!

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

Ok... so... (grabs pen and pad of paper) the people who currently like or are OK with the idea of a "Off-Topic" thread are:

-Alpha Operator

-Markwell

-gnbrotz

-gwho

-seneca

-clayjar

...well, this sure beats the living daylights out of the reception of my "Whale-Seeking Cambodian-Slave Labor Assembled $150 million (tax money) CFC-Emmitting Radioactive Missile" project proposal. icon_smile.gif

Add me to that list, as well.

A while back I suggested the same thing, since there are a large number of well-educated and highly experienced people here, I'd like a place where I can pose such questions as "Where can I find a good banana bread recipe?" or "Is there really a little elf that lives in my fridge that turns the light on and off?"

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

"Where can I find a good banana bread recipe?"

Hmm, you know, I'm used to the recipie that my mom uses, (I love banana bread) but I wonder if there is some variant that would make it a little more moist- it seems to dry out quickly. Then again, the microwave does wonders at making it warm and moist again.

quote:

I'd like a place where I can pose such questions as "Where can I find a good banana bread recipe?" or "Is there _really_ a little elf that lives in my fridge that turns the light on and off?"

How about a... ... locationless cache? icon_biggrin.gif

Heck,

I am always dragging a perfectly legitimate and intelligent discussion into some weird, bizarre, and hopefully funny direction!

If there were an off-topic forum, I might keep my silliness concentrated in there.

I certainly would support it and LOVE the idea.

Now, I understand about bandwidth issues, and I will abide by Big Daddy's decision (and just keep draggin' other threads through the mud, I guess.)

I say, "Yea, let us have some Phythonish, Star Warsy, HGTTGly, Firesign Theatre type area to put our collective junk in!"

(Just like a non-theme cache?!)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:

quote:

"Where can I find a good banana bread recipe?"

Hmm, you know, I'm used to the recipie that my mom uses, (I love banana bread) but I wonder if there is some variant that would make it a little more moist- it seems to dry out quickly. Then again, the microwave does wonders at making it warm and moist again.

My grandma (before she died) made the best banana nut bread imaginable. She said that the key to good banana nut bread is moistness, and the key to that is to use "very ripe" bananas. (I mean, the outside skins were black and the banana was into what I term "the Squishy Mode"!)

But, she was the besterest Banana Nut Bread maker I ever et!

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

I say, "Yea, let us have some Phythonish, Star Warsy, HGTTGly, Firesign Theatre type area to put our collective junk in!"

(Just like a non-theme cache?!)

--majicman

I only wish I could find Pyhthonish stuff n a cache.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

It's usually my favorite part of the boards I visit. I think with all the unique people here it would be really fun and uhm...interesting!

Go off-topic forum, go off-topic forum, wooo!

I've got the solution.

We'll all just hijack one of the current forums for use as an off-topic forum!

Right now, the South American forum has just 15 posts. I say it'd better be used as an off-topic forum.

Let's all move our banana bread discussion to South America!

Majicman, the ripe banana trick is key. When I make banana bread, I nearly let 'em get moldy. They are so soft that peeling them is difficult, and the skin is just a fraction of an inch thin... MMmmmm... but I'm always looking for something better. icon_smile.gif

Jamie

I once made a Hawaiian banana bread. You put crushed pineapple in it. Was very good.

I'd make it again, but I have this bizzare pineapple allergy that only seems to hit me when it feels like it (painful sores in my mouth and sometimes I don't breath so good). OH how I wish there was a forum for me to get some insight from . .uuhhh . . insightful Geocachers concerning my horrible mallady!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44

Just a thought. What would we call this off-topic topic forum? I'm sure I'd have some creative ideas if I shouldn't have been in bed 45 minutes ago.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

Just a thought. What would we call this off-topic topic forum? I'm sure I'd have some creative ideas if I shouldn't have been in bed 45 minutes ago.

Bret

__"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."_

Mt. 13:44_

How about Off Topic. This tends to be the norm on most of the other bbs I've been on lately.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

-Hawiian Bananna Bread-? Wow, that sounds pretty neat! Sounds like it would give it a very interesting, tangy taste. I wonder now what would happen if you added a little strawberry puree' to the mix?

One of the most interesting off-topic forums I've been to was the Planet DeusEx off-topic forum. There was an incredible mix of people there from the US and Canada, Portugal, England, Denmark, Jerusalem, and Australia. Some of the people there were extremely intelligent and excellent conversationalists as well.

And yeah, along with the intellectual conversations, the crazy stuff is great as well. (I actually opened a virtual restraunt, "Sol's Bar and Grille" as a kind of hangout on the thread, still being patronized today.) icon_cool.gif

quote:

They are so soft that peeling them is difficult, and the skin is just a fraction of an inch thin...

If the skin on your unripe bananas isn't just a fraction of an inch thin, maybe you're not using bananas. "Bananas" are yellow and look like parentheses. That big green-and-white stripey fruit with the inch-thick skin is called a "watermelon."

warm.gif

quote:

-Hawiian Bananna Bread-? Wow, that sounds pretty neat! Sounds like it would give it a very interesting, tangy taste. I wonder now what would happen if you added a little strawberry puree' to the mix?

Wow, Tropical nut bread - Bananas (very ripe), pineapple, and a dash of strawberry puree!

I gotta have my wife make me some of this to try!

--majicman

So, who should we contact to request that a forum like this be started? I'm sure someone who is an admin or has mod Powerz has seen this by now.

Also:

Oh yeah, and hopefully J** K**** (probably unmedicated bi-polar sociopath who works at a fireworks store where I work, yeah, great place to find a person like this.) Anyways, hopefully he won't kill or incapacitate me tomorrow, since yesterday he clearly threatened to kill me in front of a few other workers, twice. But if I suddenly drop off the radar within the next two weeks, that's probably what happened. Either way, I prepared a shank-resistant vest (5+ layers duct tape- very hard to slice open) and there are security gaurds there, so I'm crossing my fingers and trying to be positive.

Oh yeah, and they know he's kinda wierd, so if I get hurt, my family's gonna sue the company for at least $10+ million wrongful injury/death. (Most of the money collected would go to a nonprofit organization that does disaster relief.) icon_cool.gif

Of course, if he just hurts me or (temporarily) incapacitates me, we'll just politely ask that the medical bills be covered.

[This message was edited by The Alpha Operator on June 26, 2002 at 03:15 PM.]

I support the idea as well.

If Jeremy for whatever reason doesn't want to allocate the bandwidth, you can find most of these types of conversations in the usenet group alt.fan.cecil-adams (Amongst those things currently being discussed is whether it's okay for an airline to charge extra for heavy people) You can check the group out through Google groups.

I'm planning on sending an e-mail to the site coordinator and even making a web page with a list of the people who are for an off-topic forum. Kinda like a petition to the admins. Hell, maybe I'll even add a manifesto of sorts. icon_cool.gif

I agree, but there should be a definate distinction between the Geocaching and non-geocaching sections, not just another forum thrown into the mix. I just hope this doesn't evolve into a slew of off-topic forums as most usenet or mailing lists tend to. Just a simple hangout all by it's lonesome for shooting the breeze.

to what is happening on the regional geocaching boards.

I'm wondering if the Chicago/Texas/Utah/?? Geocaching associations have room on their boards for an off topic forum?

For all I know there could already be one out there...anyone know?

It would still be geocachers chit-chatting about movies, terrorist, and whatever else came down the pipeline of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

to what is happening on the regional geocaching boards.

I'm wondering if the Chicago/Texas/Utah/?? Geocaching associations have room on their boards for an off topic forum?

For all I know there could already be one out there...anyone know?

It would still be geocachers chit-chatting about movies, terrorist, and whatever else came down the pipeline of life.

I thought alt.rec.geocaching was off topic!!!!! :-)

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Oh yeah, and (Majicman, I think) proposed a coup'de'tat to take over the South America board and use it as off-topic. However, due to the follwing risks:

1. Jeremy would be p****d.

2. The South American folks would be p****d (and I saw movies about them, and a lot of them seem to have AK-47s or similar weapons)

3. Either may result in users getting their accounts terminated.

4. I told Jeremy we wouldn't do it.

Anyhoo...