[FEATURES] location and map source alternatives

lekyfsirk

FEATURES for iPad and other iDevices

1- Enable use of bluetooth GPSr as one of the (Settings-My Location-Source) options. This would allow people with wifi only iPads and a tethered external GPSr to geocache.

2- Allow integration with the other sources of downloadable offline use maps. Currently the only options are: For street: OpenStreetMap, Bing Street and Google Street. For Topo: OpenCycleMap. For Satellite: Bing Satellite, Google Satellite and Google Hybrid. If we had the option to select alternative sources we would be able to have quite a nice selection of high quality, detailed maps available.

Since feature requests are considered based partly on responses in this forum, please consider this one more request for some way to download maps for offline use for anywhere in the world. My current workaround when outside the U.S. is to use the MotionX GPS app to download maps for offline use while I'm connected via wifi and then toggle between that app and the Geocaching app while I'm offline navigating to within close proximity to the cache GZ before switching exclusively to the Geocaching app once the map is no longer needed. The MotionX maps are not nearly as up to date as Bing or Google; but they are a whole lot better than no maps at all, and the options to select zoom levels and download maps either within a certain radius or along a route are nice.

Besides Google Maps, Bing Maps that have basically licensed themselves out of the offline market.

There are at least 5 or 6 other companies that license Map Data (for streets, topo & satalite) for use offline.

Obviously licensing fees are involved, & would have to be paid by geocaching.com. What Groundspeak can afford to license should be taken into consideration by us cachers.

However... Currently. With no STREETS, or SATALITE maps offline use capable with the geocaching.com iPhone app. It makes it totally unsuable when your in areas with no Data/internet connection.

Grounspeak... Please understand. We as cachers NEED some form of offline downloadable Streets & satalite maps for the geocaching.com app. I personally understand that licensing fees by some map data suppliers could be financially unreasable.

However... we do need to find SOME form of solution! SERIOUSLY!

TGC

We are definitely looking at other options at this time. However, you are aware that offline street maps are currently possible in the app, correct? You simply need to select OpenStreetMap for your street map provider and then save for offline use. Alternatively, you can simply toggle Topo Maps on for saving and they will save the OpenCycleMaps mapset, which include streets.

We are definitely looking at other options at this time. However, you are aware that offline street maps are currently possible in the app, correct? You simply need to select OpenStreetMap for your street map provider and then save for offline use. Alternatively, you can simply toggle Topo Maps on for saving and they will save the OpenCycleMaps mapset, which include streets.

Yes, Thank you very much. I am using OpenStreetMap currently. The quality is ok, but sadly not what I would call spectacular. It also isn't capable of showing satalite images as far as I know. Topo is fine. but personally not really fond of topo maps from anyone electronic or paper. LOL

It is very nice to know Groundspeak is looking at other alternatives. Thank you for that update. Thank you for acknowledging our concerns as well. I appreciate it.

TGC

However, you are aware that offline street maps are currently possible in the app, correct? You simply need to select OpenStreetMap for your street map provider and then save for offline use.

I am aware of that. Have you ever tried doing that for a 1000 cache PQ? I gave up after 3.5 hours... I don't know what algorithm it uses to determine which tiles it already has and which it still needs to download but from the time it takes to download this over a WLAN that it does it all over again for each cache, even if it is only 200 meters from the nearest one...

However, you are aware that offline street maps are currently possible in the app, correct? You simply need to select OpenStreetMap for your street map provider and then save for offline use.

I am aware of that. Have you ever tried doing that for a 1000 cache PQ? I gave up after 3.5 hours... I don't know what algorithm it uses to determine which tiles it already has and which it still needs to download but from the time it takes to download this over a WLAN that it does it all over again for each cache, even if it is only 200 meters from the nearest one...

I agree, this takes longer than it should. Is there redundant downloading of offline maps when a user has two caches in proximity to one another? Also, does a user have to completely re-download offline maps each time a pocket query is saved, even if none of the caches are different in the new query compare to one he already has?

Allowing users to import their own map files (like from gpsfiledepot.com) would give us the option to have specified, detailed, free maps of our choosing and wouldn't have to spend hours downloading offline (and mediocre) maps. The iPhone app ought to take the preparation out of geo-caching; however, in offline mode, getting the iPhone ready to go caching takes hours more time than a garmin.