Trackable Buttons - How much would you pay?

CedarPointFreak

I am in the beginning stages of getting a new line of trackable products out to the geocaching community!

What I have is a button machine that makes 2.25" buttons, and plenty of supplies to keep going for a while...

I already have several designs approved, which I will unveil after I have all my starter designs finished up and the website to sell them from complete...

What I would like is a little input as to what a fair price would be to sell them at?

How much would you be willing to spend on a trackable button?

Keep in mind that most of these buttons will be sold as customizable with at least being able to put in your caching name / team name, or other text that you want...

I don't plan on selling buttons that are not trackable, and I'm considering a different price for if you buy a single button VS buying a quantity of at least 10 or 12 of the same button.

I will post a picture of one of my buttons to give you an idea of scale:

7528030_orig.jpg

3988297_orig.jpg

I'm sorry if I'm a bit off-topic in the Geocoin Forum, But I figured what I had was closer related to geocoins, rather than just a travel bug.

They are round, have custom designs, and are trackable...

If you have your own button machine, then I'm sure that is the better option for you, but even at that rate, you have to get at least 50 codes at a time, and this way I can offer smaller quantities of personalized travelers...

I just happened to have the equipment, and it started out with me wanting to do this for myself, like you are thinking, but then i figured why not offer it to others, if they are interested.

..And if it's not your thing, that's OK too... I'm sure it won't be for everyone...

Commercial postings wouldn't be allowed in the TB forum.

Personally I think you should also consider making buttons that are replacement for lost coins. Just use the original image.

I am already kicking around some ideas for Designs just for that purpose, although because the artwork for the origianl coins is likely copyright protected, I will probably come up with a couple of nice designs showing respect for a fallen coin/bug...

The couple Ideas I am fleshing out for those will be a "R.I.P." with some image of a gravestone etc... and the other Idea I was considering was an image of a Phoenix, with the number of the old coin between the outstretched wings...

But also, because you can customize the buttons I am offering, you could pretty much put your old number on any of the designs i will have, unless I have a special limited run of a specific design or something...

If someone wants their own design made up, that will be available too... anything is possible, it's just me doing this, not some big company.

I appreciate all the feedback, this helps allot, however, back to the question I asked to start this thread off...

Considering that these are TRACKABLE buttons how much would you think is a fair price for just one?

Remember these factors when considering a "fair price":

* Each code costs $1.50 from Groundspeak

* My cost for button supplies is about $0.50 per button

* Custom Icon is a one-time $150.00 fee (all the buttons would have the same custom icon, and would just be called "Trackable Button")

* I will be taking the time to allow customizations of username/team name on the buttons

So two different prices would apply:

One price is if someone wanted a single button or two, and another discounted price if they ordered a minimum of 10 of the same button, with the same customizations.

Ideally I would like to sell them at a lower cost than a traditional geocoin, but perhaps the same, or a bit more than your standard travel bug or tag...

I would like to include shipping in the price, to simplify the ordering process on my site also, so consider that too...

So what would you consider fair?... $3.00, $4.00, $5.00, $6.00, $7.00 ??????

How much for just one?

How much for 10?

How much for 50?

How much for 100?

I'll take a stab at this. The ICON is a sunk cost, if yo want to do it then do it. You really can't charge everyone for that. The reason I say that is, if you only sell 50 that is $3 a button. If you sell 150 that is $1 a button. Tough to gauge the market. No one is going to pay over $5.00 you might find a few people to pay $3.00. I did a search on google for custom buttons, and selected the second link. They quote buttons right there in quantities of 10 or more. Full color were only $1.25 so at that plus tracking you are at $2.75.

The problem is finding the market. This is the only Groundspeak forum you can advertise in and "most" of the people here like coin and these buttons are far from that.

To answer your question personally, I just bought a Trackable name tag from a geocoin vendor. Very nice and solid, with magnet to hold it in place instead of a pin. If I was going to do anything to wear to be trackable that is what it would be. Not customized but everyone knows it is trackable. So my long winded answer ends with less than #2.75 and not likely to buy at all. Sorry and good luck.