coordinate circumference

PirateKel

I have searched and cannot find this info....

I know that caches need to be at least 0.10 miles / 528 ft / 161 m from each other (stating that in case someone misunderstands my question B) )

But what I do not know is if there is a 'rule' about how close to the published coords they are supposed to be. Some people place them right on the coords, and some place them off a bit. But there is one cache that has been driving me insane because I cannot find it. I am wondering if I should widen or narrow my search. The cacher who placed it has been geocaching for quite some time now so I know he didnt post the wrong coords.

My actual question is - is there is a 'rule' about how close to the published coords they are supposed to be?

I have searched and cannot find this info....

I know that caches need to be at least 0.10 miles / 528 ft / 161 m from each other (stating that in case someone misunderstands my question B) )

But what I do not know is if there is a 'rule' about how close to the published coords they are supposed to be. Some people place them right on the coords, and some place them off a bit. But there is one cache that has been driving me insane because I cannot find it. I am wondering if I should widen or narrow my search. The cacher who placed it has been geocaching for quite some time now so I know he didnt post the wrong coords.

My actual question is - is there is a 'rule' about how close to the published coords they are supposed to be?

Listing Guideline Technical Requirements

Listings must contain accurate GPS coordinates. You must visit the geocache site and obtain all the coordinates with a GPS device. GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and finding geocaches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions.

Some hiders have been known to use "soft" coordinates to make their finds more challenging. You can fairly quickly determine if someone does that frequently. But sometimes even with very good coords a very clever hide can elude you. If you are not aware of this hiders history you won't know which is the case here unless you find it. And you should always be prepared to expand your search if you can't spot it at GZ.

ok... so then tell me this... if the pinpointed coords are pretty much right on a utility-type box... and the cacher that hid the one MAY work for the company.... is it okay to open it, examine every inch of it and do whatever it takes to find it?

Even under the best of circumstances, the coordinates obtained by a consumer-grade GPS unit, the type used by almost all cache owners, will have a margin of error of at least several feet. The GPS unit used by the cache seeker also has a margin of error. Combining these two sources of error, there is no way that the "pinpointed coords" can be guaranteed to be "right on a utility-type box." For that reason, and out of old-fashioned common sense, I would never recommend that you "do whatever it takes to find" a cache on a utility box, no matter who might have hidden it.

--Larry

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

And, your cache sense should be telling you that since you are zeroing out on a large metal object, the cache is likely on a magnet, stuck somewhere on the outside of it. I've seen a couple where the cache was inside a utility box. But, again, cache sense quickly showed me that the box wasn't connected to anything. I don't care where the cache is. You're better off to take a sec, and look around, to keep yourself safe.

Later!

I've heard that people offset like that, and call it a puzzle cache. However, I can't think of any reason in the world to offset by 200 yards. Ever. So, to answer your question, yes, you should look for easier ones. A lot of people recommend staying at like 1.5/1.5 and under until you get comfortable finding them.

Later!

I've heard that people offset like that, and call it a puzzle cache. However, I can't think of any reason in the world to offset by 200 yards. Ever. So, to answer your question, yes, you should look for easier ones. A lot of people recommend staying at like 1.5/1.5 and under until you get comfortable finding them.

Later!

Okay, it's listed as a 2/2.5 but not listed as a puzzle cache. And basically could be located anywhere ~200+ yards to the W,N or E of the coordinates, which is a lot of square yards......

Just double checking that this was NOT the norm....

you are making me curious..... what is the cache name? or post the link here :D

I, myself, have not done many puzzle caches yet.... too much brain power sometimes haha

I emailed the cache owner for clarity, but here is the name anyways "Fell over from fright" GC1ZZDV

This is the first one i've ever looked for so it might just be too much of a challenge, although it's listed as easy and has been found by many and recently. It's close to me so I will find it, eventually.

Edited by NEwhere

that is actually rather difficult, because going by certain info I would think that it is not actually in the woods. I know where I would look, myself, but I am far from being an "expert". Hopefully they will give you some info. If you didnt already, read ALL the posts from people who have found it - look for clues. interesting phrases, capital letters... look for any info that seems 'interesting'

"Fell over from fright" GC1ZZDV
I read the cache description. It says "located about 200 yards in the woods so please do not disturb anything near the church". It does not say "200 yards into the woods of the posted coordinates".

I would expect the cache to be located at the posted coordinates, which appears to be "located about 200 yards in the woods" (depending on where you start).

I read the cache description. It says "located about 200 yards in the woods so please do not disturb anything near the church". It does not say "200 yards into the woods of the posted coordinates".

I would expect the cache to be located at the posted coordinates, which appears to be "located about 200 yards in the woods" (depending on where you start).

Indeed, there are several log entries that indicate it is at the posted coordinates. To NEwhere, a big part of caching is to read the description very carefully and critically. Do not make assumptions until you have ruled out the obvious by visiting the site. Don't forget to use the hint and the log entries. As you find more caches your geosense will become more acute. Until then, remember there is no substitute for practice and experience. And most of all, enjoy your new hobby!

Indeed, there are several log entries that indicate it is at the posted coordinates. To NEwhere, a big part of caching is to read the description very carefully and critically. Do not make assumptions until you have ruled out the obvious by visiting the site. Don't forget to use the hint and the log entries. As you find more caches your geosense will become more acute. Until then, remember there is no substitute for practice and experience. And most of all, enjoy your new hobby!

Thanks for all of the suggestions posted above. The confusion was all my doing, i pasted the coordinates into Goggle maps and it plotted them in the middle of the cemetery. So without using the app for my Iphone, but after having read the description and all of the logs i went in search. The whole 200 yards thing gave me the impression the cache was 200 yards in the woods from the coordinates.... After not finding it, and posting here, i looked up the map here and on my phone and discovered the actual coordinates to be located in the woods. When i returned and followed my phone to the correct cords i found it no problem.

The only remaining issue i have with this cache you all can see for yourself looking at the maps here, the cache is not 200 yards into the woods, and it's not even 200 feet, more like 50 feet into the woods from the clearing.....but when following the iphone app you don't need that tidbit of information, why bother including it?

The confusion was all my doing, i pasted the coordinates into Goggle maps and it plotted them in the middle of the cemetery.
Yeah, when you paste coordinates into Google Maps, you'll get two markers. The red marker (shaped like an upside-down teardrop) shows the nearest address to the coordinates. That's where Google's driving directions will take you. The green marker (shaped like an arrow pointing down) shows the actual coordinates.

You aren't the first to confuse the two. You certainly won't be the last.

Thanks for all of the suggestions posted above. The confusion was all my doing, i pasted the coordinates into Goggle maps and it plotted them in the middle of the cemetery. So without using the app for my Iphone, but after having read the description and all of the logs i went in search. The whole 200 yards thing gave me the impression the cache was 200 yards in the woods from the coordinates.... After not finding it, and posting here, i looked up the map here and on my phone and discovered the actual coordinates to be located in the woods. When i returned and followed my phone to the correct cords i found it no problem.

The only remaining issue i have with this cache you all can see for yourself looking at the maps here, the cache is not 200 yards into the woods, and it's not even 200 feet, more like 50 feet into the woods from the clearing.....but when following the iphone app you don't need that tidbit of information, why bother including it?

Because most geocachers don't use an iPhone to find caches? Ok, that was a a bit flippant, so...

I can only speculate because I haven't found the cache in question, but the CO may have include that bit of text to prevent those searching for the cache from disturbing gravestones in the cemetery. At one point there was some specific language in the guidelines regarding placements in cemeteries. Some areas won't allow caches at all in cemeteries, but it would be okay to place it "near" a cemetery. In fact, the reviewer for that cache may have explicitly asked the cache owner to include some language in the listing to indicate that it was not in the cemetery.