Amish Geotrail

Bolivar Bill

:blink: Did the Amish actually hide the caches?

From the website:

there is no commercialization here like you find in the larger familiar Amish areas in the Northeast.

I believe the correct word is "was", not "is". B)

By "commercialization" they must mean walmart and burger kings- the Amish sell furniture and rugs and such. It is very rural mostly dairy farm country.

From the website:

there is no commercialization here like you find in the larger familiar Amish areas in the Northeast.

By "commercialization" they must mean walmart and burger kings- the Amish sell furniture and rugs and such. It is very rural mostly dairy farm country.

I don't know... this looks pretty commercial to me, at first blush, at least. What's this about EnchantedMountains.com? Who exactly is putting this on? Is this an official Tourism board or something like that, or a private enterprise? I'm thinking the former, but it isn't entirely clear to me.

From the website:

I don't know... this looks pretty commercial to me, at first blush, at least. What's this about EnchantedMountains.com? Who exactly is putting this on? Is this an official Tourism board or something like that, or a private enterprise? I'm thinking the former, but it isn't entirely clear to me.

County tourism board. They aren't promoting the Amish shops, just touring the area.

From the website:

The EMGT or Enchanted Mountains Geotrail, is in the same neighborhood. I assume the same County tourism board came up with them both, but don't quote me on that. I plan to go to an Amish Furniture shop down there a week from Saturday, and grab 7 or 8 of the caches, but not enough to earn a coin. From what I remember from my advance planning (and this isn't all 12), a bunch are in cemeteries, one at a public fishing pond and one is on a rural Archery range owned by a Geocacher.

The EMGT or Enchanted Mountains Geotrail, is in the same neighborhood. I assume the same County tourism board came up with them both, but don't quote me on that. I plan to go to an Amish Furniture shop down there a week from Saturday, and grab 7 or 8 of the caches, but not enough to earn a coin. From what I remember from my advance planning (and this isn't all 12), a bunch are in cemeteries, one at a public fishing pond and one is on a rural Archery range owned by a Geocacher.

Correct- same tourism board. And correct on the locations. The pond (Cabic) is a pretty nice spot- they asked if they could use one of my pictures I posted on the cache page for a future travel guide- can't wait to get a copy of that! The one with the bikes. Some of the EMGT ones were a bit difficult, these are all easy. There are 2 or 3 on commercial property but you don't have to have anything to do with the business to log the cache.

What is your connection to all of this, Bill? Your profile shows three hides, none of which are related to this trail. You have been caching for a few years now. How did you get hooked up with this commercialized version of our little activity? Generally, we, as geocachers, hide our own caches, and we don't feel the need to affiliate ourselves with a board of tourism or other official agency, other than obtaining permission for our hides. This looks more like something that should be printed on the back of a cereal box to me.

I think some of the replies sound harsh. We vacationed in PA Amish country a year ago and IIRC, there have been several tourism board geo-trails done out east. We did part of one in DE, but not enough to earn the coin. There was another one done in rural southeast WA as well. They placed caches at landmarks in the area and you got a passport stamped or something to get a coin. As long as you don't have to buy anything, and in some cases get something, like a geocoin, for free, I don't get the negativity. :blink:

Mrs. Car54

I think some of the replies sound harsh. We vacationed in PA Amish country a year ago and IIRC, there have been several tourism board geo-trails done out east. We did part of one in DE, but not enough to earn the coin. There was another one done in rural southeast WA as well. They placed caches at landmarks in the area and you got a passport stamped or something to get a coin. As long as you don't have to buy anything, and in some cases get something, like a geocoin, for free, I don't get the negativity. :blink:

Mrs. Car54

Yeah, I am on the East Coast too, and there are boatloads of "earn a Geocoin" Geotrails. It had not occured to me if this was an east coast thing or not. As a matter of fact, I'm less than 50 miles as the crow flies from most of this Amish trail, and am going in a week and a half. I think Bill was just impressed by his new Geocoin, and wanted to share. Which incidently not only looks as big as a Dinner Plate, more like a Turkey Platter. :P

Mrs. Car54

Yeah, I am on the East Coast too, and there are boatloads of "earn a Geocoin" Geotrails. It had not occured to me if this was an east coast thing or not. As a matter of fact, I'm less than 50 miles as the crow flies from most of this Amish trail, and am going in a week and a half. I think Bill was just impressed by his new Geocoin, and wanted to share. Which incidently not only looks as big as a Dinner Plate, more like a Turkey Platter. :P

There is (was) at leats one opporunity to earn a coin from the Chamber of Commerce of Canby, OR (near the Original Stash). There you just had to find a certain number of caches (10 or 12 if I recall), submit a form, and you got your coin.

Mrs. Car54

If you are referring primarily to my posts, I am simply expressing my opinion. There is nothing harsh or negative about it. It is just how I feel.

Back home from work. Yesterday we (the wife and I)got our 1 1/2" geocoins in the mail that we "earned" by spending a couple of pleasant afternoons traveling through the local farmland and logging a few geocaches. I thought they were quite nice and wanted to share with the group. I have no connection with the tourist board and had no agenda. As I am aware of several other tourist board sponsored "geotrails" I did not think there would be a problem with posting about this one here. I guess I was mistaken.

Back home from work. Yesterday we (the wife and I)got our 1 1/2" geocoins in the mail that we "earned" by spending a couple of pleasant afternoons traveling through the local farmland and logging a few geocaches. I thought they were quite nice and wanted to share with the group. I have no connection with the tourist board and had no agenda. As I am aware of several other tourist board sponsored "geotrails" I did not think there would be a problem with posting about this one here. I guess I was mistaken.

No problem at all with your posting, Bill. It wasn't clear to me if this was a promotional post, or simply a fellow cacher giving us the heads-up. My opinion on that type of promotional cache remains, but that has no bearing whatsoever on your post!

How did you get hooked up with this commercialized version of our little activity? Generally, we, as geocachers, hide our own caches, and we don't feel the need..

This looks more like something that should be printed on the back of a cereal box to me.

In my opinion,this is definitely a little harsh, and you are suggesting that you speak for "we, as geocachers." That's more than expressing an opinion.

How did you get hooked up with this commercialized version of our little activity? Generally, we, as geocachers, hide our own caches, and we don't feel the need..

This looks more like something that should be printed on the back of a cereal box to me.

In my opinion,this is definitely a little harsh, and you are suggesting that you speak for "we, as geocachers." That's more than expressing an opinion.

I would agree it is harsh...And I am glad the OP let us know about it. I am close and plan on doing this in the coming weeks :)

Thanks!

OK, "generally, we as geocachers hide our own caches" is a statistical fact. Better?

I would agree it is harsh...And I am glad the OP let us know about it. I am close and plan on doing this in the coming weeks :)

Thanks!

The OP, although not clear at all about it at first, has made it clear that he was not the one that hid these promotional caches. He was simply telling us about them, and I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with promotional caches. If you still find that harsh, so be it.

I'm not from or ever been there but I don't see anything wrong with it. We have one where you visit a specific cache in 22 different parks in the area.

http://baynature.org/articles/web-only-articles/midpeninsula-open-space-district-launches-geocache-challenge

I know it is not the same because these are parks and this is not. This is more like for tourism. Did you run it by Groundspeak first just to see what their take is on it? And why only 12 caches? You want more cachers to come they want more caches.

Wait I am not a powertrail cacher. ......no I was abducted by Aliens that doesn't count.... am I reading your thoughts?.....

I'm not from or ever been there but I don't see anything wrong with it. We have one where you visit a specific cache in 22 different parks in the area.

http://baynature.org/articles/web-only-articles/midpeninsula-open-space-district-launches-geocache-challenge

I know it is not the same because these are parks and this is not. This is more like for tourism. Did you run it by Groundspeak first just to see what their take is on it? And why only 12 caches? You want more cachers to come they want more caches.

Wait I am not a powertrail cacher. ......no I was abducted by Aliens that doesn't count.... am I reading your thoughts?.....

That same County, Cattaraugus County, NY (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) has another "earn a Geocoin" Geotrail, so there are many more that 12 to go after in the name of tourism.

As I said before, these earn a coin Geotrails are all over the Northeast. They must be spreading slowly. Coming to your area soon. :P I hid one for the Seaway Trail Geotrail over a year ago. That one has 75 caches, and you can earn 5 Geocoins, one for each of 5 regions. And believe me, there are plenty of people who have all 5, even though it's a good 500 miles from end to end.

I don't know about "Groundspeak approval" for any of this, but I'm sure any reviewer from the Northeast could weigh in on the subject.

Because more is not always better. The point of this trails isn't to find as many caches as possible. The point is to get out to a rural area, enjoy the scenery and atmosphere of a different way of life. Placing 50 caches instead of 12 would mean that those that chose to try and finding them all in a day would have less time to enjoy the scenery and the Amish way of life. Since I live about 125 miles from this trail and haven't really explored that part of the state I'm considering a weekend away, staying in a B&B in the area and doing the trail. If I encounter other geocachers while there I'd prefer to meet others that are there to enjoy the rural Amish atmosphere than those that just want to increase their find count.

Because more is not always better. The point of this trails isn't to find as many caches as possible. The point is to get out to a rural area, enjoy the scenery and atmosphere of a different way of life. Placing 50 caches instead of 12 would mean that those that chose to try and finding them all in a day would have less time to enjoy the scenery and the Amish way of life. Since I live about 125 miles from this trail and haven't really explored that part of the state I'm considering a weekend away, staying in a B&B in the area and doing the trail. If I encounter other geocachers while there I'd prefer to meet others that are there to enjoy the rural Amish atmosphere than those that just want to increase their find count.

Amen Quality not quantity. I love going to Amish communities and just drive the backroads. So much history and beautiful scenery. The caches are only a bonus. Sounds like a slow drive in the rural areas and only going after 12 caches might do some of these posters a lot of good. Slow the pace, stop and smell the roses, appreciate the way of life these people have, learn about the land, the area, the customs, etc etc. That to me is what geocaching is all about. Not hopping out of a car every tenth mile to write my name on a piece of paper.

Point being, to each their own. If this isn't the type of caching you like, don't do it. Just don't put it down and criticize those that took the time or organize these type of trails. I, for one enjoy these types of trails and I am sure there are plenty more that enjoy them too.

I am very appreciative of the OP for this info and feel badly that he got beat up on this post. I just don't understand where all the harshness came from. Commerialization? Pull all the caches out of Walmart parking lots. Noone makes you shop at any of the Amish stores or buy their wares so what's the difference? Not your type of caching? Fine just don't put me down for enjoying the slower pace areas.

I am very appreciative of the OP for this info and feel badly that he got beat up on this post. I just don't understand where all the harshness came from. Commerialization? Pull all the caches out of Walmart parking lots. Noone makes you shop at any of the Amish stores or buy their wares so what's the difference? Not your type of caching? Fine just don't put me down for enjoying the slower pace areas.

Sigh... the OP did NOT get "bet up" at all! In the first couple of posts, I was commenting about a quote from the linked-to website. A little bit later, I asked what his connection to the trail was, because that was not made clear. His first post is nothing but a picture and a link. Only because I asked that question, I now know that he is just another geocacher like myself that brought that trail and its website to our attention.

My opinion on promotional or commercial trails is based on a concern that we as geocaching turning commercial. I don't like that. Others may see nothing wrong with it, and that's fine. That is their opinion. One or two commercial or promotional trails might seem like a big deal, but when does it become a big deal... on the sixth? The eighth? The hundredth? I don't like 'em, and I don't have to like 'em. We have enough enterprising geocachers in my area to hide all the caches that need to be hidden.

OK, "generally, we as geocachers hide our own caches" is a statistical fact. Better?

Yep. Better. :)

I actually agree with you more than I don't. Some of this stuff concerns me too. Especially the ones that encourage cachers to do all the maintanence and replace missing caches. I hate that.

I don't mind organazations that seem to embrace geocaching and do it right. So far this one seems to be doing that.