SUBMITTED (17393) - [FEATURE] iPad support in Geocaching app

CarbaughFamily

The Ipad has been out for a while almost three years yet Groundspeak has not made a Ipad app. The Iphone app works well but still lacks many usefull features like landscape keyboard and full screen ability. Many people use Ipad for geocaching it would be nice if Groundspeak would listen to the crys of Ipad owners and make a Ipad app or convert Iphone app to work well on both Iphone and Ipad. I ask people to call Groundspeak at (206) 302-7721 and tell them what they want since they dont seem to listen to they people via the forum. Thanks

The Ipad has been out for a while almost three years yet Groundspeak has not made a Ipad app. The Iphone app works well but still lacks many usefull features like landscape keyboard and full screen ability. Many people use Ipad for geocaching it would be nice if Groundspeak would listen to the crys of Ipad owners and make a Ipad app or convert Iphone app to work well on both Iphone and Ipad. I ask people to call Groundspeak at (206) 302-7721 and tell them what they want since they dont seem to listen to they people via the forum. Thanks

This being your first post on the forum you may not know how to get the power's that be attention about these things. If you where to start a topic off with [Feature]- iPad support in Geocaching app. Then outline the features your looking for a GS rep will see it and let you know if its being worked on, should be worked on, or isn't something they are looking to do.

Thank you, mpilchfamily. I have edited the topic title to something more appropriate.

CarbaughFamily, please read the pinned topic at the top of this board before posting: READ FIRST! Posting in the Geocaching for iPhone Forum.

Please, do not call Groundspeak about this issue. You will just end up talking to the person sitting next to me and she is well aware of the desire for an iPad-native (or more compatible) app. We have this request in our database already. Even if we don't come out with one soon enough for some, I'm sure some enterprising individual out there will obtain an license to use our API and be able to write an excellent app for the iPad on their own.

Thank you, mpilchfamily. I have edited the topic title to something more appropriate.

CarbaughFamily, please read the pinned topic at the top of this board before posting: READ FIRST! Posting in the Geocaching for iPhone Forum.

Please, do not call Groundspeak about this issue. You will just end up talking to the person sitting next to me and she is well aware of the desire for an iPad-native (or more compatible) app. We have this request in our database already. Even if we don't come out with one soon enough for some, I'm sure some enterprising individual out there will obtain an license to use our API and be able to write an excellent app for the iPad on their own.

This is not the first time me or anyone else has mad this request to Groundspeak with very little feedback from Groundspeak with more and more people buying tablets it only make since to make a Ipad app and yet there is none from you i like the iphone app but still ipad app would be better. Landscape keyboard would be big inprovement but full screen would be good as well.

Two things when are they going to create an app for the iPad iPhone works ok but wud be better it they did one for the iPad also they should put on it when you drop a trackable it doesn't give you the potion of visiting if they can do it for the android version why can't they do it for the apple version?!!

I would love to see better suppor for the iPad.

The thing is Geocaching.com/Groundspeak can take two directions.

1. They can write & release TWO versions of their Geocaching.com app. One specifically for the iPhone & a app specifically for the iPad. This option has many advantges as well as disadvantages. a. Disadvantage... If you have a iPhone & a iPad. You would have to purchase the app twice. One for each device. On the other hand... an advantage is that each app would be written for each device and thus total app size for each device would be smaller & more efficient.

2. They can write ONE app. The app would be device aware & would recognize the device it is running on & provide the features needed for that device. Advantage: You buy one app, it would run on both your devices your iPhone & iPad. No need to buy two apps & pay twice. Disadvantage. App size would be greatly increased. As the app would be a single app that would have coding specifically for each device. Code for the iPhone, Code for the iPad. Thus the app takes more storage space on each of your devices.

You can examples of both types of apps in the app store allready. The TiVo app for example. One app, runs on both iPhone & iPad. It recognizes which device it is currently running on & operates accordingly. One app for both.

On the other hand. An app such as "Word with Friends". Is two apps... One for the iPhone & one for the iPad. If you want the paid version on both your iPhone & your iPad. You have to pay TWICE for it. Pay for the iPhone app, & pay for the iPad app. Assuming you want it to run on both devices.

My Vote for Groundspeak/geocaching.com though... ONE APP... that supports BOTH the iPad & iPhone and recognizes which device it is running on & takes full advantage of each device.

Notice geocaching.com: I DO NOT WANT TO PAY TWICE for the app! If you release an iPad version. I DO NOT WANT TO have to buy the app again! I allready paid 9.99 for my iPhone app. It should be upgraded to have full support of the ipad. Please do not release a iPad only app.

Thanks

TGC

P.S.... When you do release an iPad version. It should support the use of EXTERNAL GPS devices. Either via Bluetooth, or those that connect through the 30pin dock connector.

FYI... While the 3g does have some limited GPS capability, and the WiFi only has even more limited GPS capability. I would like for people to note. That the GPS units inside your iPad are NOT FAA aproved for using as a GPS device for in-Flight navigation. That is becaue the GPS inside the iPads is NOT accurate &/or reliable enough. 3rd party companies have released external 30pin & Bluetooth GPS receivers that work with the iPad AND ARE FAA aproved for in-flight navigation. (By Private/sport pilots) Yes, I will agree, 99% of cachers don't need this extra accuracy or reliability of GPS data on their iPads, even when they are in locations with limited Data connection. However for those of us who do have external GPS receivers & use them with our iPads even in our vehicles. It would be nice if the geocaching.com would support use of those external GPS receivers.

Edited by texasgrillchef

I have, and use an iPad for geocaching and I'd rather see 2 separate apps as well.

I don't care about $10, thats only 2 double tall peppermint mochas, which I get daily. Or the cost of my lunch at work, or the cost of one rosemary-grapefruit-tini, etc, etc..

The app last a bit longer than a mocha.

Eta-lately this forum won't obey line breaks!!

Edited by JesandTodd

After some carefull consideration & desires.

I have changed my point of view on desiers in regards to an iPad App.

At first I wanted 1 app, for both the iPhone & the iPad, but be more like the TiVo app. Very aware of which device it was running on. Save me the extra $10.

However. I have changed my desires to haveing 2 seperate apps, & am willing to pay another $10 for the iPad app.

The capabilities of having 2 apps, generating MORE revenue for Groundspeak will help them as well. It will allow each app to be specific to the device that they are going to run on, without including extra coding that won't be needed on whichever device.

So I too have changed.. and now want 2 apps. One iPad Specific, and one iPhone specific.

TGC

Im not for sure if I can use this thread to make suggestions about the features the iPad version has... but...

To the Developers...

1. When you design the iPad app keep 2 things in mind.

a. Some of us have iPad mounts in our vehicles, & use them in our vehicles. Then use our GPS &/or iPhones to find the cache "on scene". So when used in the car, we need a UI that makes it easy to see, & opperate safely. Big Text, Big buttons. The one nice thing about using the CURRENT version of the iOS app, is the big text, and big buttons that are on the iPad when you hit the "X2" button. Much easier to see & read etc... than your iPhone. Yet, when we aren't in our vehicles... The smaller txt, and smaller buttons would be ok to use.

b. Some cachers wouldn't use this in their vehicles as much as they would use it "on scene" to find caches. Or use it for other purposes, even replacing their laptops. As the iPad is easier to log a cache than the iPhone.

2. Work in both landscape, and portrait modes.

3. In landscape mode have the OPTION, of viewing the entire map in full screen (when in map mode) or be like the iPad "Notepad" app when in landscape mode. Show a list of caches on the left, and a smaller map on the right. The list of caches can be the list of caches pulled by the app doing a "Search" or can be a SAVED list.

If I think of some more that would be iPad specific I will add them to the list.

Thanks

TGC

Well it has been almost a year since i started this post and still Groundspeak has still not put out a ipad virsion of its app. I do not care if i have to pay again i would just like a ipad version i still think they just dont care.

Some how I have a hard time stretching 5 months into nearly a year.

Those of us without iPads would DEFINITELY rather see two separate versions...

1) there's plenty of bugs already; don't compound the situation

2) let the development team devote their time to the existing app and those who already paid the $10

If you want an entirely new app for an entirely separate platform, pay for it.

I have an iPhone and bought the official geocaching app for the iPhone within a day or two of it being releases. I recently bought a tablet but it's not an iPad (an Asus EEE transformer, an android based device). I suspect that if GS is working on an iPad app that the same people on the development team would work on it whether or not it's a separate app for both devices or one app that would work on both and most of the code would be exactly the same. From a developers point of view, adding iPad support to the existing app just makes more sense to me. That said, even if they did create a separate app and I owned an iPad I probably wouldn't get it because I just can imagine using an iPad out in the field for geocaching for the type of caching I like to do.

Those of us without iPads would DEFINITELY rather see two separate versions...

1) there's plenty of bugs already; don't compound the situation

2) let the development team devote their time to the existing app and those who already paid the $10

If you want an entirely new app for an entirely separate platform, pay for it.

I agree, what's 10 more dollars. I mean I barely have any money left over from bills, BUT I WOULD,COULD,SHALL MAKE A ONE TIME PAYMENT FOR 10$.

I'm new to Geocaching and to this forum. Please be gentle if I'm not following protocol. :)

Here's another vote for native iPad App support. I don't care if it's the same app or if I have to shell out ten bucks (or more as is the general trend for an "HD" version of an iPhone App.)

I haven't found an App I like for Geocaching as much as Groundspeak's iPhone app. I'll be happy for now but when a good iPad App comes along they will get my money. I hope it's Groundspeak!

Well we now have 3 Ipad tablets out the and still no geocaching app for the ipad out there Groundspeak loves to keep us waiting why dont they just say that they will NEVER make an app for the ipad and get it over with.

Now 4 going on 5. Hopefully, nobody's been holding their breath waiting.

Well we now have 3 Ipad tablets out the and still no geocaching app for the ipad out there Groundspeak loves to keep us waiting why dont they just say that they will NEVER make an app for the ipad and get it over with.

Now 4 going on 5. Hopefully, nobody's been holding their breath waiting.

My experience (ipad2) is that the iphone app doesn't work on the ipad the way t does on the phone.

Ok. As long as i know that. Thank you guys for this thread.

I guess it will be a waste of my time to attempt a fix for my issue (ipad2): the app opens to splash screen and immediately closes again.... Just downloaded the most recent update. Will uninstall and reinstall anyway....pretty frustrating yesterday when i had 2 10 year olds anxious to geocache and the app wouldn't work.

Thx again ;)