Nuvi (2450) & geocaches

Lieblweb

Greetings Gang!

In a nut shell - we're taking a small trip and I'm playing around with the Geocaching PQ's (geocaches along a route) and putting them into my Nuvi 2450.

Success.... I have 925 some geocaches in my Nuvi. They're listed in my favorites & my extras (POI's). I didn't count all of them, but I can only assume they're all in there.

My question is.... Why aren't they all showing up as treasure chests when you look at the map? I can see a few of them along that route, but not nearly as many as I should be seeing. I've tried zooming in/out, changing some settings, deleting/re-uploading the POI's/PQ's/GPx files(using POI Loader), etc etc. I'm sitting here at my desk just scrolling through the route to look for the caches along that route (preparing for our trip).

I talked with someone at Garmin....and they told me they'll POP up as you get close to them. I can understand the alert system (that's neat!!), but at what distance do they pop up and will I miss my EXIT?? And why certain ones and not the others?

I guess I was hoping they'd ALL show up so I could just touch them and hit GO (ahead of time)as I go. Am I missing a setting? Or a certain add-on that will include ?? My current software is 2.30, and Firmware 2.7 (I didn't check to see if there's any updates - I have Web Updater).

I want to test this out this weekend - and get it all ready prior to our travels (Wednesday).

Or is this not the right unit to have for this? When we bought this unit, we weren't geocaching at the time. Having this feature (as I list above) would make our travels/navigating much easier. I'm not opposed to buying a better unit although this one is only a year old!!

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciatted! Thanks ahead of time!

Jandy

If i'm not mistaking they will pop up as you get within 50 miles of them. Typically the car nav units are not the best for Geocaching. It can be done but its a PITA to do at times. I started my caching life off with a Nuvi 1300. The lack of a compass screen giving direction and distance to the cache made things hard. But it is doable.

Now i use the Nuvi to get to the general area or parking location then take out my trusty hand held (Dakota 10) to get me to GZ.

Edited by mpilchfamily

Now i use the Nuvi to get to the general area or parking location then take out my trusty hand held (Dakota 10) to get me to GZ.

That's exactly what we're using it for - to get us within parking range. Our Oregon does the rest. This is the first time I've experimented with caches on the nuvi. UP to this point, we've been typing coordinates in the nuvi....or using the Oregon to navigate the roads to get near them. That's been a royal pain in the a**...(but doable).

Now, with caches in the Nuvi....(and the parking coordinates pop up if there are any), we can just easily hit the cache on the screen and hit GO.

If they pop up within 50 miles - that'd be awesome!! We'll play with this over the weekend...and see how it does.

Sounds like your going through a couple unneeded steps. There is no need to load the caches with the POI loader. Just take the same PQ your sending to your Oregon and send it to the Nuvi. I use EasyGPS to send the cache info to my Nuvi. The caches show as the treasure boxes and the other waypoints, such as parking and trail head points, will show as the little black boxes. Transferring that data to POIs keeps them off the map.

Sounds like your going through a couple unneeded steps. There is no need to load the caches with the POI loader. Just take the same PQ your sending to your Oregon and send it to the Nuvi. I use EasyGPS to send the cache info to my Nuvi. The caches show as the treasure boxes and the other waypoints, such as parking and trail head points, will show as the little black boxes. Transferring that data to POIs keeps them off the map.

Do they show up in favorites? Is there a limit on the number of caches you can load this way?

They show up in the favorites and count towards the number your Nuvi can hold. For my 1300 it can hold 1000 favorites. Haven't tried to load them onto an SD card since 1000 has been plenty to work with. You may be able to get more on there as POIs but then you don't see them on the map.

Loading them as custom POI also allows you to attach the description / hints / logs to each entry. I find it useful to read up on it before getting out of the car sometimes. But yeah, the 2000 ft limit to visibility on map leaves something to be desired.

So, I've downloaded EasyGPS and I'm a bit confused to what EasyGPS actually does in terms of getting the gpx files into the Nuvi. What's the difference? The POI Loader takes the gpx files and puts them in the NUVI also.

I have GSAK which I use to search & fine tune my PQ's....So, I don't need all that extra stuff EasyGPS has. All I need is something to get the gpx files into the Nuvi.

Is it that POI Loader inputs them as POI's and EasyGPS inputs them as Favorites ( what are they?)?

POI Loader was simple and quick. EasyGPS is somewhat complicated for what I want/need it to do. I just need to understand its purpose....and is it worth me learning to use it?

If you have GSAK then stick with it. Its better then EasyGPS. I use it because its free and doesn't have a nag screen. Even then i don't use it very often. Only when i want to edit down a couple of PQs and get them saved as a single PQ.

The POI loader put the caches in as POIs. Thus hiding them from the map screen but giving you all the paperless data. Personally i don't think i need the paperless data on my Nuvi since i have it on my Dakota. But EasyGPS and GSAK will load them as favorites and they cah be displayed on the map as you want them to be.

Just like GSAK you can open your PQ in EasyGPS then simply transfer the info to your GPS. They load as favorites and not POI. So stick with GSAK.

If you have GSAK then stick with it. Its better then EasyGPS. I use it because its free and doesn't have a nag screen. Even then i don't use it very often. Only when i want to edit down a couple of PQs and get them saved as a single PQ.

The POI loader put the caches in as POIs. Thus hiding them from the map screen but giving you all the paperless data. Personally i don't think i need the paperless data on my Nuvi since i have it on my Dakota. But EasyGPS and GSAK will load them as favorites and they cah be displayed on the map as you want them to be.

Just like GSAK you can open your PQ in EasyGPS then simply transfer the info to your GPS. They load as favorites and not POI. So stick with GSAK.

All the reading & research I've been trying to do to figure this out....much head scratching and head banging has occurred (laugh).

I'm very new to GSAK also - but I enjoy playing and experimenting. Mind boggling....

I exported ONE geocache onto the unit using GSAK but I still can't see an icon unless I'm navigating to it and zoom in far enough (it's a black box which I've read is/was an issue of some sort). This is all while sitting at my desk. Updated my firmware. I didn't realize the alerts had to be setup in the file (and not automatic to the Nuvi).

I'll just have to input more geocaches and play with them this weekend. I might be over-thinking this ...(as I normally do).

If anyone uses GSAK and is interested - this is the youtube video I used:

By the way, for custom POI, they're visible on the map only if you're zoomed in far enough, and if you're within 2000 ft of it.

I just recently changed to a 2460 and I noticed I don't always see the geocache icons within 2000 ft of me. I'm experimenting with turning up details in the map to see if it helps. It's a shame that they don't show up consistently - in almost all other ways it is superior to the Nuvi 650 I'm replacing it with.

One unrelated optimization I suggest is that on your home screen, add an icon to custom POI and another to coordinates. Saves a few presses. It's too bad voice navigation (on the 2460) can't bring you to custom POI...

Edited by Chrysalides

I use a Nuvi 1350 for geocaching and with the exception of a compass rose and distance to cache it works every bit as well and as accurately as my old Etrex Legend. As I am quite comfortable with Lat/Long I don't need the compass rose.

All that to say that I'm fairly sure that unless you set up your geocache file as a TourGuide gpx file, you will not see geocaches unless they are within the normal alert distance on your route, and certainly not far left or right of your course. TourGuide gpx files are interpreted to show these positions within a radius distance from the point (maximum radius is around 30 miles or so). I use GSAK and set the radius distance for 250 meters (Canada) for geocaches. On a slightly different note, I set rest area TourGuides for 2 kilometers. I currently store 1150 geocaches and numerous other .gpx files so I have no idea how many geocaches a Nuvi 1350 can store. I use a micro sd card and I do not let the unit copy the files to its internal memory.

GSAK is a good and very complete program that allows you access to your own user log where I add "WINTER FRIENDLY" and similar attributes as well as select "hints" gleaned from geocache logs. Then the macro I use copies my logs faithfully to the gpx file for Garmin's Poiloader V27 (using v27, don't forget to rename your .poi file to .gpi). What I like about GSAK is that when I download a newer pocket query, it does not overwrite my own user log file.

Original macro: GPX_by_Cache_Type_TourGuide.gsk (available from the GSAK forum). This macro outputs separate TourGuide.gpx files for various kinds of geocaches, an audible warning .wav file (which I have since replaced with a silent .wav file") and various geocache .bmp icon.

I'm a senior so I have modified this macro to display different coloured text and larger fonts - anything to help older eyes. Regarding the attached photos, in #2 and #3, the original font size for all the text description are the lines "Last found" and "Poi Created". Hope I didn't stray to far from the original question.

scr1.jpg

scr2.jpg

scr3.jpg

I'm experimenting with turning up details in the map to see if it helps. It's a shame that they don't show up consistently - in almost all other ways it is superior to the Nuvi 650 I'm replacing it with.

One unrelated optimization I suggest is that on your home screen, add an icon to custom POI and another to coordinates. Saves a few presses. It's too bad voice navigation (on the 2460) can't bring you to custom POI...

Yes, it is inconsistant and seems flakey at times. Obviously, it's been taking us to caches (usually by looking in the POI list and GO to one) but between shutting the car off/on - one minute the treasure chests are there and the next, the black box is there. The alerts were inconsistent.

And yes...I've put the 'Extras' icon and the Trip Planner icon on the main screen. At least for our upcoming trip, I've picked 6 geocaches along the route and once we get there, we can cache however we want (POI list) once we get there. And that surely is much better than how we've been doing it!!

You can load caches from GSAK into your Nuvi as either Favorites or POIs. POIs contain all the info from the cache page, but you have to be zoomed in to see them. Favorites does not contain the information but you can see from a further zoom out (most models I'm not sure about your specific model). Sounds like you are sending them as POIs try to send as favorites. Look at the top for GPS cllick on it then send waypoints. Pop up screen will appear, look at the bottom for GPS Setup button. See if that helps you see them.

I use a Nuvi 1350 for geocaching and with the exception of a compass rose and distance to cache it works every bit as well and as accurately as my old Etrex Legend. As I am quite comfortable with Lat/Long I don't need the compass rose.

All that to say that I'm fairly sure that unless you set up your geocache file as a TourGuide gpx file, you will not see geocaches unless they are within the normal alert distance on your route, and certainly not far left or right of your course. TourGuide gpx files are interpreted to show these positions within a radius distance from the point (maximum radius is around 30 miles or so). I use GSAK and set the radius distance for 250 meters (Canada) for geocaches. On a slightly different note, I set rest area TourGuides for 2 kilometers. I currently store 1150 geocaches and numerous other .gpx files so I have no idea how many geocaches a Nuvi 1350 can store. I use a micro sd card and I do not let the unit copy the files to its internal memory.

GSAK is a good and very complete program that allows you access to your own user log where I add "WINTER FRIENDLY" and similar attributes as well as select "hints" gleaned from geocache logs. Then the macro I use copies my logs faithfully to the gpx file for Garmin's Poiloader V27 (using v27, don't forget to rename your .poi file to .gpi). What I like about GSAK is that when I download a newer pocket query, it does not overwrite my own user log file.

Original macro: GPX_by_Cache_Type_TourGuide.gsk (available from the GSAK forum). This macro outputs separate TourGuide.gpx files for various kinds of geocaches, an audible warning .wav file (which I have since replaced with a silent .wav file") and various geocache .bmp icon.

I'm a senior so I have modified this macro to display different coloured text and larger fonts - anything to help older eyes. Regarding the attached photos, in #2 and #3, the original font size for all the text description are the lines "Last found" and "Poi Created". Hope I didn't stray to far from the original question.

Wow....

My husband is the techie and knows GSAK pretty well (but still learning)..... He really appreciates the information you posted - and he's currently experimenting and mouse/keyboard crunching.

Wow...that stuff is WAY over my head!! He got all the detailed info in the Nuvi (using macro) and they're showing up on the map. I think he's still trying to wrap his head around it.

How many geocaches can you load using that method? Or how many have you successfully loaded? Are you using an SD card at all? Or directly on the nuvi?

He got all the detailed info in the Nuvi (using macro) and they're showing up on the map. I think he's still trying to wrap his head around it.

I'm confused (and maybe made an assumption too many). I thought you were using a GSAK macro to generate to POI file? How were you doing it earlier?

I've been using a customized version of the original PilotSnipes macro. And it still doesn't consistently show geocaches when I'm in 3D view, because the 2460 would zoom in and out on its own.

BTW using the PilotSnipes macro I have about 5000 entries in my custom POI file.

Edited by Chrysalides

Hard to say how many geocaches are on the my Nuvi 1350 micro sd card. GSAK says 2001 but as I don't download Multis or WhereIgos or Virtuals, there's likely about 1800-1900. Seeing as I am more of an occasional geocacher, I just like figuring out what I can do with a 1350 rather than storing several thousand GCs. I also do have many, many files of interesting eating places and the like - great devices this GPSr!

I haven't yet found a GSAK macro that lets me add pictures to a geocache (not spoiler pictures) so I also create my own geocache.gpx file which includes a GoogleEarth image of where the geocache might be or just general layout. I only do that for about 30 GCs.

I also have a map of much of Europe on the sd card too for trip planning references. I like the Nuvi because of the larger screen and general ease of use but I plan to purchase an Etrex 20 in 2012 because of the much better battery life and AA batteries (I carry several sets of Eneloop NiMH for my Canon S51s and my Etrex Legend).

I'm confused (and maybe made an assumption too many). I thought you were using a GSAK macro to generate to POI file? How were you doing it earlier?

I've been using a customized version of the original PilotSnipes macro. And it still doesn't consistently show geocaches when I'm in 3D view, because the 2460 would zoom in and out on its own.

BTW using the PilotSnipes macro I have about 5000 entries in my custom POI file.

This is all here-say from what I learned at the time....

At first, I was taking the gpx files from the PQ's and putting them in a separate folder (for testing purposes) and using POI Loader to put them in the Nuvi. NO GSAK at all. They inputted fine but I wasn't seeing all of them on the map (before I realized to zoom in far enough). Little black box icons.

Then, I discovered you could export POI's directly onto the NUVI using GSAK (without a macro). Whatever caches you had in your search filter (in the window), would put them in as a gpi file on the nuvi as POI's.

My husband was playing around with it and tried (what seemed) to be several different ways to get them in the nuvi (POI loader,GSAK export, macros/poi loader,as favorites, as POI's... bla bla bla). Each way he did it, had a different glitch.....and/or was inconsistent. Even grabbing PQ's off Geocaching.com was glitchy and not including some of the caches.

I think my husband is gonna throw something across the room (laugh)

Edited by Lieblweb

Before he remodels the house, give this site a try:

http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/

It's not as nice as the advanced macro - it shows ALL caches and waypoints as the "traditional geocache" icon but it is easier to set up, with step by step instructions. It is what I used on my 650, 660, 755t, 295w and 2460LMT :)

For the 2460LMT I picked the same profile as the 6xx series.

It is with this one that I notice icons appearing and disappearing as I'm driving around as the screen zooms in and out as I approach junction.

What problem did your husband encounter with PQs?

Before he remodels the house, give this site a try:

http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/

It's not as nice as the advanced macro - it shows ALL caches and waypoints as the "traditional geocache" icon but it is easier to set up, with step by step instructions. It is what I used on my 650, 660, 755t, 295w and 2460LMT :)

For the 2460LMT I picked the same profile as the 6xx series.

It is with this one that I notice icons appearing and disappearing as I'm driving around as the screen zooms in and out as I approach junction.

What problem did your husband encounter with PQs?

Thanks for the link!!

No problems at all really - just an urge to understand how it all works and dig & play with it. We just got back from our trip and (for the most part), used GSAK directly to load the Nuvi with POI's. As you mentioned, the geocaches pop up as the Nuvi zooms in or out. They show up as black boxes. The alerts weren't showing up either.

For our trip,I picked 6 geocaches (most favorites) along our route and simply hit GO in the Nuvi.... it was GREAT!! Once we got there and were done finding the cache, would hit the Extras/POI's to find the nearest ones from that location. When we were done with that general area, go to the next (of the 6) and do it all over again. We couldn't be happier how it worked!!

But, as the techno-urge continues....he's currently playing with the macro tour guide from your link and we'll probably take 'er out for a spin tomorrow.