Geocaching term

Blackavalanche

Soft coordinates aren't necessarily caused by the cache owner's laziness. I've found caches in locations where it was impossible to get a good signal. Generally, the CO apologized for the soft coordinates in the cache description, and provided good hints to compensate. (Although, to be fair, as far as I could tell given the poor satellite reception, the coordinates were spot on.)

What does it mean when somebody says "the Co-ordinates are soft"?

IMHO it means the CO was to lazy to get decent coords OR the hide is so bad that you really have to hunt for it. In other words.... don't waste your time.

This. /\ /\ /\

From what I've read in the forums, some people post "soft coords" intentionally, either to make their hide more "devious" or to annoy their fellow local cachers.

Poor form, no matter the reason.

Soft coordinates aren't necessarily caused by the cache owner's laziness. I've found caches in locations where it was impossible to get a good signal. Generally, the CO apologized for the soft coordinates in the cache description, and provided good hints to compensate. (Although, to be fair, as far as I could tell given the poor satellite reception, the coordinates were spot on.)

I agree, Here in Northern New Jersey I have been to caches where GPS units change their accuracy and direction to the cache while you are standing still. I have seen fluctuations of over 65 feet then down to 4 feet and back again within seconds. I know for fact it's not my GPS unit or that the satellites were all directly overhead, as most of the people who vist the cache describe the bounce as being severe.

As always the GPS only gets you to the general spot. Sometimes it's dead on.