Sound files format

tipouette

I have built a cartridge with sound fils in MP3 format. But some GPS devices can't play these files. Do you know if the Wherigo website converts the MP3 format to the good one for these devices when the player uploads the cartridge?

garmin uses it's very own sound file format - *.fdl - which cannot do much more than play beeps. to make your own, look for system beep recoder (don't have a link at the moment). but: all other platform cannot play fdl-files, so if you want sound on all platforms you'll have to check for platform and deliver the right sound file.

Edited by laufkaefer

(Housekeeping: I adjusted the topic's title and subtitle.)

Around January 2008, Jeremy made a post about how you could create an FDL file for a Garmin GPSr. He even contributed a small application (I'm guessing he wrote it) that would allow you to create an FDL.

Since FDLs are beeps and MP3s are real audio, it's not really possible for the site to make such a conversion. I do believe, though, the site strips out the MP3 audio if you download for a Garmin Player. If this is not happening, I'd consider it a bug.