beta maps

I like them. I mean, they're definitely a substantial improvement on the old maps. The map fills the entire screen (especially useful on a big 24 inch monitor - even better when there is two of them!) - but as mentioned before, this makes them useless on my iPhone.

The only issues I have at the moment with them is:

a) Sometimes Google location markers take priority over geocaching icons, which makes it hard to select caches.

B) When hiding a selection of caches, they can still be 'hovered' over and this makes the maps 'sticky'.

c) There is no tool indicating how many caches are currently displayed on screen.

and d) It would be nice if the cache icons stayed 1 zoom level higher than they currently do.

But - hey! That's why they are BETA maps. No doubt they will be improved on in the coming months.

Edited by Hurricane Luke

Just to clarify, I have no problem with the beta maps when working on my laptop. I still prefer the old maps and frequently switch to them, but the beta map is okay on the laptop. Where it does NOT work is on our Motorola Xoom tablet. The caches don't show up and never have, making the app useless for us.

I like the maps, but just how long does something need to stay Beta before polishing it and making it official? Getting sick of the popup

You can (mostly) turn off the popup. There is a checkbox for that. It still comes back for me every now and then... not sure why, but most of the time its gone.

Sounds like the only people with serious issues with it are those using alternative computing devices. I mostly love it, but I use it on a regular computer. I sure don't miss the old "Too many caches" message!!

No. I click that box every.single.time. iPad, windows, Mac, it doesn't matter. It pops up every darn time.

Me too, sometimes it works for a few times and sometimes it doesn't. Not sure if it's not saving the cookie or something like that. But in either case I would think that it's time to make the maps an official release rather than Beta.

I sure don't miss the old "Too many caches" message!!

Just goes to confirm the old saying "one man's junk is another man's treasure" I actually liked being able to zoom out far enough to see the map without the cache clutter, so that you could actually read the map. I guess that's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

Just goes to confirm the old saying "one man's junk is another man's treasure" I actually liked being able to zoom out far enough to see the map without the cache clutter, so that you could actually read the map. I guess that's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

When you wanted to see a lot of caches on the map, say to see how big a powertrail was, you couldn't.

If you actually want to read the map, use Google maps.

Eh, I'm certainly not giving up my iPad or iPhone! I'll either: bitterly go without the use of maps, wait until I get to work and use the old windows based junk computers that takes eons to load pages, or even just get up and walk over to the Mac and fire her up. I just hate sitting at a computer though. Really prefer my iPad.

So mostly, I'll just go bitterly without.

I like them. I mean, they're definitely a substantial improvement on the old maps. The map fills the entire screen (especially useful on a big 24 inch monitor - even better when there is two of them!) - but as mentioned before, this makes them useless on my iPhone.

a) Sometimes Google location markers take priority over geocaching icons, which makes it hard to select caches.

B) When hiding a selection of caches, they can still be 'hovered' over and this makes the maps 'sticky'.

c) There is no tool indicating how many caches are currently displayed on screen.

and d) It would be nice if the cache icons stayed 1 zoom level higher than they currently do.

But - hey! That's why they are BETA maps. No doubt they will be improved on in the coming months.

It is a bit annoying at times, but... think of it as telling you to zoom in a bit more. Google Earth will give a little diagram that allows you to see what is shared at a point with multiple close items... Beta nope... but like I said you can either 'feel around' for the cache with the cursor or zoom in until it separates... and as you say it is still in Beta mode. Also helps if you turn off the labels and such.

Doug 7rxc

Eh, I'm certainly not giving up my iPad or iPhone! I'll either: bitterly go without the use of maps, wait until I get to work and use the old windows based junk computers that takes eons to load pages, or even just get up and walk over to the Mac and fire her up. I just hate sitting at a computer though. Really prefer my iPad.

I'm just saying that that is part of the price you pay for the latest and greatest.

I'm just saying that that is part of the price you pay for the latest and greatest.

Indeed. I can't argue with that.

But how many months do we have to wait......

If you want to see the map instead of the caches, just de-select the cache types and the map will be clear.

I like the maps, but just how long does something need to stay Beta before polishing it and making it official? Getting sick of the popup

You can (mostly) turn off the popup. There is a checkbox for that. It still comes back for me every now and then... not sure why, but most of the time its gone.

Sounds like the only people with serious issues with it are those using alternative computing devices. I mostly love it, but I use it on a regular computer. I sure don't miss the old "Too many caches" message!!

I only use them with one of my computers. They stink. why must we have to look at every cache in an area when we run the map from the PQ page.

I like the beta maps. Can't use it on my Droid running Dolphin HD, but I do like to use it at home. It's nice to see every cache in an area, so if I know I'll be in a different part of town, I can poke around and find a few nearby that fit what I am in the mood for.

I've never seen the popup come back.

No. I click that box every.single.time. iPad, windows, Mac, it doesn't matter. It pops up every darn time.

Have you got cookies turned off? I'm pretty sure it is using cookies to "remember" that you wanted it turned off.

Cookies on here, and although I check the box......it still pops up, even when I close then go back to it in the same session.

I like the "Beta Map" however, I find that even after you log the find the map doesn't update or refresh as the older map.

Even after I do a refresh the map doesn't show the cache as found even though my total finds does update.

Don't know if I have a setting wrong or it's just a glitch on my home PC.

The older map refreshes very quickly.

I think it would be nice to have an option on the Geocaching.com Maps Beta to remove display of archived caches. I would turn them off when searching for a area to cache and turn it on when looking for an area to hide a cache. I understand that they are a different color, but the option to include/exclude archived caches would be helpful.

I think it would be nice to have an option on the Geocaching.com Maps Beta to remove display of archived caches. I would turn them off when searching for a area to cache and turn it on when looking for an area to hide a cache. I understand that they are a different color, but the option to include/exclude archived caches would be helpful.

Archived caches are not displayed period, not in any color. Do you mean disabled caches? Different animal. The maps might be useful for a general idea, but certainly is not good enough for cache placement. See the knowledge books on the ways to check for cache proximity. Maps are not among the methods mentioned.

Have you got cookies turned off? I'm pretty sure it is using cookies to "remember" that you wanted it turned off.

Cookies on here, and although I check the box......it still pops up, even when I close then go back to it in the same session.

If this happens, try purging your cookies and trying again. It sounds like a corrupt cookie may be involved.

Useless to me and my iPad. Cant see caches unless I'm at a random mystery zoom level. But even then, literally useless.

I agree - caches don't show up on Beta maps on my iPAD. I thought that is the idea of having the map! :). Useless!!!

I only see two fixes for iPads. Either they start supporting Java and Flash or you'll have to wait until the switch to HTML6.