Geocaching in Ottawa

cheryl1701

I would like to know if there would be any interested parties in forming a new geocaching association in the Ottawa area. The sole purpose would be to have fun and not take it too seriously, we already have one association here, but they seem to be all about the numbers, and I have been in contact with a few that others don't share their opinions. The new one would emphasize the fun and adventure of it.

Edited by cheryl1701

I would like to know if there would be any interested parties in forming a new geocaching association in the Ottawa area. The sole purpose would be to have fun and not take it too seriously, we already have one association here, but they seem to be all about the numbers, and harsh on people who don't share their opinions. The new one would be friendly and non judgmental.

Wow... The group of folks you are referring to were nothing but accomodating to myself when I attended an event in the Ottawa area and any other time I've had the opportunity to deal with them in person at other events.

I recognize that everyone will have different preferences though, so best of luck in creating your new group.

I assume you have issues with specific cachers in general? I am a member of the CCC and do not appreciate being painted with your broad brush when I don't even know who you are. Have you signed in to the CCC website (http://www.canadascapitalcachers.ca) and attempted to meet other members? Have you attended any of the many events that the CCC have on monthly basis?

You are more than welcome to create yourself a splinter group, all the power to you. But, seeing as how you have not made any attempts at meeting the rest of the community, I can't really see who you'll be successful in recruiting.

Please, pop over to our forums and chat. Show up at an event and meet the rest of us, we number in the hundreds.

Edited by Kirok

I've been on the CCC forum and have found that the CCC members are not about the numbers. Quality over quantity seems to be the motto for most of the outspoken members.

But if it's not a comfortable fit for you, starting another club could work. In my the Golden Horseshoe area where there are several clubs and they all seem to be working well.

Edited by Lone R

I've been on the CCC forum and have found that the CCC members are not about the numbers. Quality over quantity seems to be the motto for most of the outspoken members.

But if it's not a comfortable fit for you, starting another club could work. In my the Golden Horseshoe area there are several clubs and they all seem to be working well.

I have a few friends who are interested in forming a a new group, just putting some feelers out there, no offense is intended,

Edited by cheryl1701

they seem to be all about the numbers, and harsh on people who don't share their opinions

The new one would be friendly and non judgmental.

So you're judging the hundreds of members of Canada's Capital Cachers as being "all about the numbers" and "harsh", yet you promise that the group you form won't be judgemental? Surely you're being sarcastic... :blink:

As Kirok said, please try coming to at least one event and meeting people before you decide what you think of them. I've always found the CCC people to be very friendly in person (even those with whom I have heated arguments on the forums).

Or maybe you somehow met the evil version of the CCC in a parallel universe? According to the Star Trek tradition, the evil version of people can usually be recognized by the beard (for men) or sexier outfits (women) :laughing:

can one bad apple spoil the whole bunch?...probably not, but it can definitely send out the wrong message, and even intimidate some people

i don't advocate stereotyping but i have seen comments in this forums supporting the OP's impression

it is very unfortunate because this is supposed to be a fun activity

Sometimes I wish that Niagara was as lucky as Ottawa or Kitchener/Waterloo or Mississauga. A monthly group outing would be fun. Or maybe there is one and I don't know about it.

Timings don't always, or often, work out but having a "come if you can" approach would be great.

Ottawa is really lucky to now have more than one option. I was out with some of the CCC people for breakfast once, and enjoyed a day of GAGging. They seem like every other group... some were awesome, some quiet, some have opinions, and some weird. Sounds like almost every family I know. I feel the same way about the Crew from Waterloo. I don't know the Mississauga people but I suspect they are the same.

But yes, there are locals that I adore (and they likely know who they are) and locals that annoy me (and maybe it is mutual) but I wouldn't trade it for anything because we need all types so we know when we have it good. And I do. Niagara is full of great caches placed by great people that I would love to spend more time with.

B) BQ

edit: smiley

Edited by The Blue Quasar

Ummmm I think the issue here may not be one of whether or not the Ottawa people are naughty or nice. I think it is one of walking in to a public Forum and saying "I don't like those people." and not expecting a backlash. I don't like a lot of people, in fact, I think I like less people than I don't like. I am pretty brash but I am not sure I have ever walked in to a room and loudly pointed out the people I don't like and named and shamed them. I know there was not a finger pointed at a single person in the OP but change what I said above and think about someone walking in a room and singling out a group of people and saying "I don't like that group for such and such a reason." You think that would not be a room silencer?

Forums are the technological equivalent of a large room. Although we are sitting alone at a computer, the concept is that of a large group conversation. Sorry, OP, but I am going to tell you that you walked in and pointed out a group and acted like they weren't there and named and shamed them.

Most of the posts have been about defending the group. Never met the group, agree with Blue Quasar, I am guessing there are some I would like and some I don't (and some that like me and most that wouldn't). But this should not be about defending the CCC group it should be about how we act in public forums.

I am going to be the one to name and shame now. I think the post was rude. It could have been crafted a different way. "Is anyone interested in creating group in Ottawa for this very narrow purpose." No need to mention your negative feelings towards someone else in the room.

End of rant....

The CCC (Canada's Capital Cachers) whom I assume you are referring to as the other association in the opening post is open to all. Which makes them a family in the area. I see that others have pointed out that by accepting all it means that you might not always like everyone (just like family) but that there is someone for everyone and we pull together when we need to, and like family, disagree at times and sometimes louder then maybe we should. (average once a year on my 6 years with the group) Sorry, if you caught the group not at their best moment. The CCC has done a lot to communicate with different agencies in the Capital area on behalf of geocaching, such as the bomb squad :o , been a part of The EX with a display, and have held many workshops to help newbies and experience cachers learn new things and work together on keeping geocaching fun. I encourage you to come out to one of the events in the area and meet some of the many members.

I am wondering if you are looking to form another association or if you are looking for people to cache with? I know of several caching circles in the area, splinters, SOBS, GEOMOB to name a few. New geocaching circles sprout up all the time, of like minded friends who enjoy geocaching when they have time. All of which come together at the family reunion of GAG events. Many individuals are seen at the monthly dinners and geoworkshops which have been going strong for several years. (both posted of GC)

I wish you luck at forming your group and hope that you are open to all, which may mean accepting the very people you commented on in the OP. You are always welcome to meet the other cachers in the area by coming out to one of the events, we hold no grudges and would be happy to see you.

As for your apology, you sound like your part of family and seem to fit right in, if you would like ;) We will just assume we caught you at an off moment as well.

hidnseek

(One who dosn't worry about the numbers, but enjoys time with the friends I have made geocaching)

Thank you hidenseek, glad to see we live in a world where all opinions are welcome, the new splinter group i have found has a very interesting theory..., no numbers what so ever, they cache as a group but only one person will log the find, when they said they had done my caches a long time ago, i ran and got an old logbook from one of my caches, and sure enough, there were 4 names and only 1 had logged (online), apparently they take turns writing logs online, i gotta admit, after a long day it's nice not to have to write a novel to record your finds, when i asked how they keep track, so they don't do the same ones over again, they simply said "ignore list". well each to their own, there is no law that says you must log it. lets say they do 4 finds in one trip and there are 4 people on the outing, each person would go home and log one only. some of their group policies are very impressive, no urban caches,no meetings, if they get to a location and they are totally unimpressed, no logs at all. Im still reading their webpage, but it all sounds right up my ally.

Thank you hidenseek, glad to see we live in a world where all opinions are welcome, the new splinter group i have found has a very interesting theory..., no numbers what so ever, they cache as a group but only one person will log the find, when they said they had done my caches a long time ago, i ran and got an old logbook from one of my caches, and sure enough, there were 4 names and only 1 had logged (online), apparently they take turns writing logs online, i gotta admit, after a long day it's nice not to have to write a novel to record your finds, when i asked how they keep track, so they don't do the same ones over again, they simply said "ignore list". well each to their own, there is no law that says you must log it. lets say they do 4 finds in one trip and there are 4 people on the outing, each person would go home and log one only. some of their group policies are very impressive, no urban caches,no meetings, if they get to a location and they are totally unimpressed, no logs at all. Im still reading their webpage, but it all sounds right up my ally.

What's the philosophy behind only one of the group logging it? Would the person who finds the physical cache be the person who logs it online? If so then if Jane finds all 4 does she log all 4 online?

What's the philosophy behind only one of the group logging it? Would the person who finds the physical cache be the person who logs it online? If so then if Jane finds all 4 does she log all 4 online?

I am not sure... perhaps it is so each person only has to write one note at the end of a day. (as opposed to many). i have to admit as a cache owner, it is nicer to read individual stories, instead of "found with (username)" 4 or 5 times.

There are a few people who cache with others and do not log online at all or very rarely. They are more into the getting outside then be at the computer. How each person geocaches is somewhat up to them, no urbans, no logging, only trads, complete the grid.... Finding someone who shares your philosophy could be fun. Thus it sounds like you looking for a caching circle of friends, good luck. I just ask you respect how others play the game (those number people) and they hopefully will respect the way you play. In the end we are all still looking for tupperware in the woods ;)

There are a few people who cache with others and do not log online at all or very rarely. They are more into the getting outside then be at the computer. How each person geocaches is somewhat up to them, no urbans, no logging, only trads, complete the grid.... Finding someone who shares your philosophy could be fun. Thus it sounds like you looking for a caching circle of friends, good luck. I just ask you respect how others play the game (those number people) and they hopefully will respect the way you play. In the end we are all still looking for tupperware in the woods ;)

thanks again Alison