Geocoin new owners

not tom

When geocoins are sold or traded after being in geocache world for a few years, why does the new owner delete all previous logs? Twice in 2 weeks. My numbers of discovered/moved is shrinking. Cache owner doesn't have the right to delete logs on a cache that is adopted unless the logs are bogus.

Both coins were transferred. Look at ***** and *******. My logs were posted in 2007.

I know something else that is soon to be transferred... this thread. To the Geocoin forum. :o

But meanwhile, I guess I don't even understand the basic premise here... why would somebody want to buy or sell or trade a trackable that has been in the wild already, anyway?

Edited by Eartha
TB numbers removed at Owner's request.
I own used trackables that I have bought "adopted" from other users, and I always delete any info that may be recorded when it belonged to the original owner. I don't want their records on my trackable.

I have bought coins that I adopted from the previous owner as well, but I left the old logs alone. It didn't bother me, and I'm lazy by nature. I didn't even think that I would be messing with the discovered list of geocoins of the other users if I had nuked the logs.

Both coins were transferred. Look at TBYHYB and TB1CAHD. My logs were posted in 2007.

I know something else that is soon to be transferred... this thread. To the Geocoin forum. :o

But meanwhile, I guess I don't even understand the basic premise here... why would somebody want to buy or sell or trade a trackable that has been in the wild already, anyway?

Many of us simply trade trackables because we collect them. Most are never released into the wild so to speak, but have been avtivated by the owner to prove ownership. Activated trackables usually sell for about half of the price of a new one would, but rare hard to find ones can be pricy. I think that may be part of the confusion, none that I have bought ever show a finder as they are part of a collection and not a "Wild Trackable". :)

Both coins were transferred. Look at TBYHYB and TB1CAHD. My logs were posted in 2007.

Many of us simply trade trackables because we collect them. Most are never released into the wild so to speak, but have been avtivated by the owner to prove ownership. Activated trackables usually sell for about half of the price of a new one would, but rare hard to find ones can be pricy. I think that may be part of the confusion, none that I have bought ever show a finder as they are part of a collection and not a "Wild Trackable". :)

How can you "collect" something that you don't have in your possession? Obviously, you can't show off your collection to impress your date.

How can you "collect" something that you don't have in your possession? Obviously, you can't show off your collection to impress your date.

You misunderstand. :unsure: I collect trackable geocoins, some have been activated and transfered/adopted to my account once the trackable is in my possession. :) I don't release trackables any more, they get stolen too often. :mad: But I still love hording them in ammo cans. :D

I don't mess with a trackables history for this very reason. Its history is its history. Just because you bought the coin, doesn't mean that the person who logged the discovery didn't discover the coin anymore. To take the credit away from them for doing so is pretty lame, IMNSHO.

You can't change the miles on that used car you just bought, or who your spouse was with before you by deleting their logs... it's all a part of history. Y'all should think about not trying to change history.

... Most are never released into the wild so to speak, but have been avtivated by the owner to prove ownership. ... :)

Not the same thing, I believe the OP was referring to trackables that had been in the wild (he discovered them four years ago) and had quite a bit of history.

As G&C says - history is history, winding back the odometer is illegal in this country. :o :o

I feel rather strongly that a coin's history should always be left intact. I have bought several activated coins on eBay that were then adopted over to me and I always left the history in place. To me, the history makes the coin more interesting and valuable.

If it were my choice, I would change Groundspeak's software so that logs could not be changed or deleted after a certain period of time such as one year. It would be possible to change or delete a log after a year, but only in special circumstances and after a review to ensure that there is a good reason such as slander in a log.

I own used trackables that I have bought "adopted" from other users, and I always delete any info that may be recorded when it belonged to the original owner. I don't want their records on my trackable.

I can certainly understand why you feel that way, but have you ever given a thought to the fact that you are also deleting the logs for any cacher who ever discovered or moved the coin? That seems a little unfair to me. Just my HO.

I can certainly understand why you feel that way, but have you ever given a thought to the fact that you are also deleting the logs for any cacher who ever discovered or moved the coin? That seems a little unfair to me. Just my HO.

The only geocoins that I have ever bought and altered info on have only had the previous owners info on them. Most were aquired from vendors or the coin designers and were activated. I only want my info on my collectables, but I can see the OP's point. I may have missed the main topic, but I have never seen "wild" trackables for sale. Only pre-owned ones. :)

Some men only want to date women that have never been kissed by anyone else. I have been with women who had never been close to another man and I have dated women who had some experience; Inexperienced women are not all that some people think they are. In many ways they can be callow and even uninteresting. More importantly, if a woman has experienced life, do you want her to lie and pretend that you are her first? Personally, I don't much like illusions or lies.

When I go to heaven, I don't feel any great need to be met by 72 unactivated geocoins with pristine logs.