STARTED (31264) - [BUG] Website keeps tossing my cookies!

Zop

It seems that I have to log in several times throughout the day especially if I use any third-party tool that uses the API's. GSAK, Certitude, etc...

Is this something that can be resolved once and for all?

I would like my laptop, desktop and office workstations that I use frequently to be able to retain cookies so I don't have to keep logging in time and time again.

This is happening with FireFox, IE8 on XP and IE9 on Win7.

Grrrr.... :mad:

And it would be nice if you make the expiration time of the cookies user selectable like I already sugested in the UserVoice system.

In my 20+ years of cruising the Web, I don't remember any Web site giving me any choice when it comes to cookie expiration dates. Can you give me an example of a Web site that allows this?

--Larry

In my 20+ years of cruising the Web, I don't remember any Web site giving me any choice when it comes to cookie expiration dates. Can you give me an example of a Web site that allows this?

Well... I have. I can't recall the site I've seen it on (after 15 years of cookies it's hard to remember each and every one of them) but it can be done (check out cookies 101) so is this question relevant?

Well... I have. I can't recall the site I've seen it on (after 15 years of cookies it's hard to remember each and every one of them) but it can be done (check out cookies 101) so is this question relevant?

It certainly is relevant. You're asking for something that, as far as i'm aware, isn't offered by any Web site anywhere, even if it is theoretically possible. I have yet to see any examples of this. Why should you expect Groundspeak to be the first? Since 99% of all Web users (just my educated guess here) would have no idea what to do with this setting, it would be more confusing than it's worth.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

And it would be nice if you make the expiration time of the cookies user selectable like I already sugested in the UserVoice system.

cvsphoto.com has a checkbox under the login credentials which reads "Keep me signed in for 2 weeks". Check it, and your login cookie stays valid for 2 weeks. Leave it unchecked and it's only good for that session.

Allowing the user to select from more than that (or even worse, an arbitrary, user-entered length of time) just seems like a poor use of programming resources to me.

cvsphoto.com has a checkbox under the login credentials which reads "Keep me signed in for 2 weeks". Check it, and your login cookie stays valid for 2 weeks. Leave it unchecked and it's only good for that session.

Allowing the user to select from more than that (or even worse, an arbitrary, user-entered length of time) just seems like a poor use of programming resources to me.

Agreed. I see one of those "Keep me signed in for..." check boxes once in a while, though even those aren't used all that often. That's not at all the same as making the duration before expiration user-selectable.

--Larry

Edit for silly 4:30 AM typos.

Edited by larryc43230

You will always get logged out of GC.com when you login to Neongeo. It's a long-standing bug, and happens when you log in to any API-using program (GSAK 8, Neongeo, Certitude geochecker, etc.). It's annoying, and they've known about it for months and have not fixed it.

I did not find a similar topic here.

Could this be fixed, please. It is really annoying!

I use the GSAK API and I don't have a problem logging here. You got your cookies turned on?

Yep, cookies ("remember me") work OK e.g. when I turn the PC off/on.

The problem might not be that big after all, once the update rate on the new apps using the API slows down. Currently there may be couple of updates per week, which force me to re-authenticate to the new version of the app.

It seems to be this re-authentication, that invalidates my login (cookies) from the PC.

This is quite annoying, especially if you access the site from several devices/browsers:

1. sign in on the website on device 1
  2. grant API access to 3rd party app on device 1
  3. you're now signed out on device 1
  4. sign in on the website on device 1 again
  5. sign in on the website on device 2
  6. grant API access to 3rd party app on device 2
  7. you're now signed out on device 1 and 2
  8. rinse, repeat

Granted, you don't have have to grant API access again if your token is saved as a cookie, but some users don't allow persistent cookies for security reasons.

Edited by certitude