Long Beach Cache Machine

travisl

No changes. Rumor is that #47 Powered Up View GC2EY09 requires high clearance or a hike, that #51 South Nemah GCNZ7X is swampy, and that it's better to access #64 Cape Cache GC10GJR through the campground other than the route I posted, but those aren't so much changes as they are FYIs. See y'all tomorrow at 7:15 AM!

(Also, I failed to notify the local police this time, so just be aware that they might not know we're here, so say Hi and introduce us if you see a cop.)

At dinner on Saturday, Shelrik asked me to post a photo of all of my cache machine "logbooks". Happy to oblige:

TVV4y.jpg

Legend:

1 Spokane 9/20/03

2 Victoria I 7/12/03

3 Whidbey 1/3/09

4 Victoria II 9/20/08

5 Port Townsend/Port Angeles 9/24/05

6 Gig Harbor 1/8/05

7 Portland 6/26-27/04

8 Quad Cities 4/18/09

9 Tri Cities II 9/19/09

10 Olympia 1/3/04

11 Tri Cities 9/20/04

12 (hidden) Wenatchee I 4/2/05

13 Vancouver (WA) 1/5/08

14 Vancouver (BC) I 3/27/04

15 Centralia/Chehalis 1/2/10

16 Yakima II 3/29/08

17 Methow 9/17/11

18 and 20 Belfair 1/2/11

19 Long Beach 1/7/12

21 Moses Lake 9/25/10

22 Walla Walla 3/20/10

23 Missoula 6/1/08

24 Yakima I 3/29/03

25 Grays Harbor 9/22/07

26 Astoria 6/26/10

On shelf but not visible: coaster from Wenatchee II 3/26/11

Missing:

Bremerton I 12/28/02 (never existed)

Bremerton II 7/16/05 (did I forget)

Vancouver BC II 6/27/09 (no log, because dinner was a snafu)

Portland II 6/25/11 (how'd this disappear?)

Most of these are empty. Missoula's 3½ year old bottle's sealed, but looking rather brown. It's getting close to time to clean out another four years' worth, I think.

Where is the one for Wenatchee?

The bottle for Wenatchee I is #12, and is directly behind bottle #11, at the perfect angle to make it invisible. It's there, though.

Wenatchee II didn't have a bottle; it had a coaster, which can't be seen in the photo, but bottle #18 is directly on top of it.

Well, I had a blast even though I did the majority of the CM solo (meaning two of my trio had to stay home). I wasn't able to attend the dinner but met up with some great folks on the trail.

I just had to ask though - because I got a little bit behind in the afternoon - too much time on a multicache - when I got to the Pickled Pepper series, I met up with a carload of cachers and we attempted to get from stop #40 to stop #41 but found a sign saying the road was closed to motor vehicles. Did you all just go around the loop of caches the opposite way from there? I actually just wound up using the cut through to cache #59.

Thanks for another great CM Travis. We hit the weather perfectly. Sunday was an amazing day in Long Beach weather-wise! B)

we attempted to get from stop #40 to stop #41 but found a sign saying the road was closed to motor vehicles. Did you all just go around the loop of caches the opposite way from there?

Yeah, that was the biggest route fail of the day. Stupid geese. My car (Team THAK represent!) backtracked west all the way to Peninsula Highway/Sandridge, headed a mile south to 101, grabbed #59 (Rusty Pickle) out of order, and then proceeded to #41 (The Superstitious Pickle), which we DNFed in the gap between the time the cache went missing and the time someone replaced it. If I'd known, I'd have backed the "if you're behind schedule..." point one cache earlier.

PqNVd.jpg

We managed to complete the route all the way to #63, (Boston Harbor Benson Beach Booty) before we needed to run into town to get a pickle jar and dinner. We'd already grabbed #67 (Black Lake Cache) earlier in the day when we had to retreat from the route to get gas. I hit #65 (Room With a View) solo on Sunday morning.

when I got to the Pickled Pepper series, I met up with a carload of cachers and we attempted to get from stop #40 to stop #41 but found a sign saying the road was closed to motor vehicles.

We now know the answer to the final! The next time we are in town, we will finish it. It was great to meet you!

when I got to the Pickled Pepper series, I met up with a carload of cachers and we attempted to get from stop #40 to stop #41 but found a sign saying the road was closed to motor vehicles.

We now know the answer to the final! The next time we are in town, we will finish it. It was great to meet you!

Hey you too! B)

I would love a nudge on the final (if you don't mind) - at least tell me where we were going wrong with the numbers. (I imagine we had the wrong sign) I hope to make it back up in that area in March. Help! :D

Bumping this three-year-old thread to post a relevant photo. It's the end of the road for this "logbook" collection. They're simply taking up too much space. One photo, and they're into the trash bin.

15934815330_47ff0acf0b_o.jpg

I'll be holding future CM logbooks for only a few months. Even I have to admit, these were getting a bit gross.

At dinner on Saturday, Shelrik asked me to post a photo of all of my cache machine "logbooks". Happy to oblige:

TVV4y.jpg