Confused

medic161

I have a problem I want to buy a new unit, and I'm confused. I have a Garmin 60cx, a great unit with the exception of it not being paperless. I want to get a new gps but with everything that is out there I just don't know which one I want. I need to keep the price down to at least $500, but I don't want to short change myself. This is what I want from a new unit...paperless, topo maps, city NT, and maybe touch screen. I'm not a newbie, been caching since '05, but with all the units out there I just need to get some input from other cachers.

The Delorme pn-60 has all of those features except for the touch screen. I don't think that's really a useful feature anyway. AS far as the paperless goes, I've got over 25,000 caches loaded on the memory card and have plenty of room to spare. I've found it to be extremely reliable and accurate in all kinds of terrain. It's right at the top end of the price range but worth every penny.

Hello,

My best recommendation is to go to a sporting goods store like REI, if you have one near you, and try out the units for yourself. I have a 60csx, legend HCX, and a Dakota 20. For me, I still like the feel of the 60csx but I like the bit bigger screen on the Dakota and the Oregons have an even larger screen.

Everyone will have their point of view with all valid points but it comes down to what you are going to like. You could like the new 62 series that are very similar to your CX.

Good luck.

Edited to add: I also have a PN-40 that I like a lot also but I don't personally like the small screen for reading as my eyes are getting older and I refuse to bring my reading glasses with me.

Edited by ao318

I agree with Splashy, for an 'all in one' unit the Montana is the best out there, just a shame it's also one of the most expensive!

How does the Montana audio work? I read it needs an external speaker, not a problem in the car, but a nuisance on the trail if you have a routable trail map.

Edited by seldom_sn

Take a look at the Garmin Oregon 450t, it pretty much covers everything you mentioned (pre-loaded USA Topo, stick in a CN microSD and you'll have North American road auto-routing, touch screen, and it's infinitely customizable with Profiles). I'd look for it to be had for between $350.00 and $400.00 (maybe cheaper) this upcoming holiday season. Good luck with your choice.

Bill

Edited by 2Wheel'in