Happy 11th birthday Yellow River Stash

Ramness

In October of 2000 I came across a thread about this new game called Geochacing on a forum for Nissan Xterra owners. At the time there were only about 6 caches posted in the entire State of Georgia, 2 were rather close by. Halloween 2000 I went out in search of Stone Mountain Cache GC1E for cache find #1, at the time I believe it was the second cache placed in the state.

Had fun hunting a cache and set out to hide my own. November 13th 2000 I placed Yellow River Stash GCB6 in my favorite Gwinnett County Park, Yellow River Park which at the time was a just gravel parking lot, a porta potty and miles of multi use trails in the woods. I waited anxiously to get a notification that someone had found the cache, days and weeks went by, nothing. Finally December 8th, almost a month later it was found. These days I don't think it would of lasted 4 hours.

11 years later and it’s still there. Currently the 4th oldest original (never muggled and replaced) cache in the state of GA. Cachers travel from all over to score a find on it due to its age, apparently it qualifies for many of the Geocaching Chalenges. Hopefully it will live on for many more years to come!

If anyone knows of a search function that allows me to see all caches in the US or worldwide listed by date placed. I would like to see where it ranks.

We found your Yellow River cache this fall, enjoyed it very much. It is nice to find an original container and log, and a cache still being maintained by the original owner. Congratulations, and best wishes for at least another decade.

Re finding oldest caches, a number of cachers have built bookmarked lists of oldest caches.

Here's a link to one of them

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=b066dcb0-0726-4c30-ad70-b04cc7fc10f9

by using the search function of a pocket query, I find only 50 active caches in the world that

predate yours.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

In October of 2000 I came across a thread about this new game called Geochacing on a forum for Nissan Xterra owners. At the time there were only about 6 caches posted in the entire State of Georgia, 2 were rather close by. Halloween 2000 I went out in search of Stone Mountain Cache GC1E for cache find #1, at the time I believe it was the second cache placed in the state.

Had fun hunting a cache and set out to hide my own. November 13th 2000 I placed Yellow River Stash GCB6 in my favorite Gwinnett County Park, Yellow River Park which at the time was a just gravel parking lot, a porta potty and miles of multi use trails in the woods. I waited anxiously to get a notification that someone had found the cache, days and weeks went by, nothing. Finally December 8th, almost a month later it was found. These days I don't think it would of lasted 4 hours.

11 years later and it’s still there. Currently the 4th oldest original (never muggled and replaced) cache in the state of GA. Cachers travel from all over to score a find on it due to its age, apparently it qualifies for many of the Geocaching Chalenges. Hopefully it will live on for many more years to come!

If anyone knows of a search function that allows me to see all caches in the US or worldwide listed by date placed. I would like to see where it ranks.

Cache maggots watch the forums just for posts like this and really feed on it when they can muggle an old cache.

Well looks like this one may not make it to its 12th Birthday. Got a couple no find logs, finally made it out to check and confirmed the location where the cache should be was empty. Went out 2 afternoons in a row searching the woods hoping to find it had just been thrown into the woods nearby and poked my hiking stick in several alternate spots. Also walked downstream along the nearby river, no luck. There were some freshly cut trees nearby so I am hoping the park maintenance crew that was working out there found it and has it, still have not heard back from the park maintenance director though.

I emailed the last person that found it to see how it was hidden when they were there. From what they told me it sounds like someone changed the hiding spot from the location it had been in for last 6 years to just sitting next to a tree. Not sure if it was one of the maintenance workers that found it and left it sitting out allowing a muggle to find it or someone else left it out, hopefully a Geocacher would not leave an 11 year old cache just sitting next to a tree in a fairly busy park like that.

Unsure about replacing it, at the time it went missing it was the 43rd oldest (as far as I can tell) original cache in the world. What I mean by original it was the same cache placed 11 years ago with all of its logbooks still inside. That is not replaceable and I don’t feel just putting another ammo can out there with a new logbook would do it justice.

Apparently this cache plays a role in the Jasmer Challenge due to the month it was placed so I have received numerous emails from people that have planned trips to this area requesting me to replace it ASAP along with offers of people that want to replace (and claim it as a find) as well as offers to adopt it. One cacher actually traveled a significant distance to find some caches in the area this weekend and put a box where he thought the cache should go. He is awaiting approval to log his “find”. I had informed this person already that if it was going to be replaced that I had an ammo can already and would be replacing it myself. Another cacher emailed to say he looked around and took pictures to show he was there and also wants to claim it as a find.

Not trying to start an argument here or call anyone out but this raises a few questions. Should you log a cache as a find when 1. It’s listed as disabled and confirmed missing by the owner, and 2. You replace the cache yourself? And should that “find” be used as credit on a challenge?

Hoping to get word from the County on Monday if they found it or not. But then I was also told there are new Gwinnett Parks Geocaching guidelines and I have to look over those as well to see if I can even put it back out there in the same place.

Hey Ramness,

I heard about it being missing from a friend who searched for it. Such a shame. We found it on 1/1 and it was in a stump hole. We took time to flip through all the old logs and enjoy the scenery. It was a great old cache. I really hope you're right that the park office has it. If not you should consider restoring it. I know it won't be the original and won't be as special, but as we saw in Mingo the listing and the spot are also part of the history.

As for the cachers wanting to claim a find. I don't think that would be appropriate. I know they drove a long way to get there but using a throw down or just finding the spot is frowned upon. As the cache owner you have the right to allow those finds, but I know I would not allow them on one of my caches.

I do hope the county has the original ammo can.

Should you log a cache as a find when 1. It’s listed as disabled and confirmed missing by the owner, and 2. You replace the cache yourself? And should that “find” be used as credit on a challenge?

No, just politely explain to these "finders" that the cache is missing, and that you're considering what to do about it.

Their pursuit of a challenge cache is their issue, not yours.

It's hard to delete finds, it makes people unhappy, but it's bad for the game to encourage fake finds, and "throwdowns".

Throwdown being the term for putting a some sort of cache in the spot where you've just DNF'ed the owner's hide.

If it's possible to replace an ammo can in the same spot, I gently encourage you to do it. It was a good place for a cache - and replacing the occasional missing or damaged container is just part of the game. Your decision, obviously.

You mean you contacted the last posted finder, who dropped a "tftc" log on the 155th cache placed in the world? Sorry, personal pet peeve there. :ph34r:

Sounds like Mingo all over again; people sure want to "help out" when it's an old historical cache, and one with Challenge cache implications. You know what? As much as I don't like Throwdowns, or people claiming finds for finding the area, and taking pictures, log deletions can get real ugly. I would seriously almost consider allowing the picture finder and the throwdowner finder to log it, and avoid any headaches. But no more than them!

I can tell you're greatly saddened by this, and don't seem too enthused about a new ammo box with a new logbook. But I'd urge you to go this route too. Assuming the County is OK with another cache being put in the spot.

Editing to say that I now see that no one has actually posted a find log for a throwdown or finding the area, but both have ASKED to log a find. I'd still consider it to avoid drama.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

From experience, I can tell you that Gwinnett County has been imposing a 1-year limit on new caches in their parks. I don't know when they came up with the policy, but I know it was in place in July 2010. I asked erik88l-r about older caches already in place, and I believe he said they were just going to let those naturally attrit rather than enforcing the new time limit. I'd drop him a line if you need help with the park folks.

Not trying to start an argument here or call anyone out but this raises a few questions. Should you log a cache as a find when 1. It’s listed as disabled and confirmed missing by the owner, and 2. You replace the cache yourself? And should that “find” be used as credit on a challenge?

That's a really tough call, but thank you for activly takng part in the upkeep of your cache. Whatever your decision, I'd try to keep it between you and the "finders" and off the forums if you can.

Personally I lean towards not allowing the finds, but I don't see the guidelines as hard and fast rules either. In the end it might not be worth the hassle.

I would encourage you to replace the missing container and re-enable the cache. Once gone, these old caches can't be replaced. Some of the months of the Jasmer challenge are very difficult to find now. If this one goes away, it's a very long drive for me to get the next closest one. Eventually, the Jasmer is going to be impossible to do for someone who can't afford to go jetting around the country.

As for the idea that replacing the container won't make it the same cache, replacement happens frequently. When a log book fills up, you put out a new one. If the container leaks, you replace it. To me, the cache is more than just the container and log book. It's the location and the enjoyment of getting there. I'd love to travel down to the Yellow River and see the location of this cache. If the cache is gone, there's little reason for me to do so.

I finally heard back from the County, they do not have the cache.

Before I can replace it I have to apply for a permit from the County. The permits are only good for a year and I have to reapply for a new one every year, of course there is no guarantee they will approve them. Currently I have 4 caches in Gwinnett Parks so I have to apply for permits for all of them.

When I asked if they were going to allow old ones to just be grandfathered in (the other 3 will be 10 years this year), they replied no. They sent me an application by email but it would not open, don’t know yet if there is a cost involved in obtaining a permit.

Looks like permits are $5 and you have to wait 30 days for approval. Once approved you can place the cache with the permit number written on it. Also you cannot use ammo cans! Then you have to pay $5 to renew it every year.

So on top of $20 for permits for the 4 caches, I have to spend more money on approved transparent 4” x 5.25” x 2” tiny containers that will probably leak in month. No more additional caches in Gwinnett Parks for me! Can’t imagine many people would be willing to go through that hassle to place new ones. .

If anyone is interested here is a link to the application and their new rules.

http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/static/departments/parks_rec/pdf/2012PermitApplicationandRules.pdf

I may make a new topic on this later but has anyone else ever heard of park system making people fill out an application and/or charging a fee to place Geocaches?

Looks like permits are $5 and you have to wait 30 days for approval. Once approved you can place the cache with the permit number written on it. Also you cannot use ammo cans! Then you have to pay $5 to renew it every year.

So on top of $20 for permits for the 4 caches, I have to spend more money on approved transparent 4” x 5.25” x 2” tiny containers that will probably leak in month. No more additional caches in Gwinnett Parks for me! Can’t imagine many people would be willing to go through that hassle to place new ones. .

http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/static/departments/parks_rec/pdf/2012PermitApplicationandRules.pdf

I may make a new topic on this later but has anyone else ever heard of park system making people fill out an application and/or charging a fee to place Geocaches?

Many, many places with applications. A fee? Personally, I'm only familiar with Pennsylvania State Parks, but I'm sure people will point out more. Sorry to hear about this, I'm certainly not a fan of jumping through hoops to place caches.

EDIT: Pa. cache policy Note it's a whopping $25 per cache.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

The Maryland State Parks system requires you to fill out an application and obtain approval. They only allow clear containers. They don't currently charge a fee. And I noticed that recently the park rangers placed a few of their own, which I think is pretty cool.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

A few local parks have applications (mainly to monitor location and to have contact info if needed). State Parks have fees but usually waive them because they know how much money a cache can bring in and we work with them to promote caching and their park.

Recently a local park wanted to archive all the current caches, and all new ones would only last 6 months a piece. They thought that the locals would flock every six months to find the same cache with a new name and slightly changed spot. We voiced our concerns as a group and showed them a lot of the older caches are actually the main draw. And that if people come once to geocache then you can sell them on your other amenities. We were able to find a middle ground and are trying to work much closer with them.

For you I would show them Yellow River Stash show how many people from across the nation (and world) have made visits to that cache. Tell them you want to preserve that history and use an ammo can. Who knows maybe they even waive the $5 since you already have 4 others. If you need others to write in just let us know.

I know several cachers that are pulling their caches out of Gwinnett County parks with no intention of ever putting any back. This new fee, container rules, and permit are just not worth the hassle and seem more like a money grab by the county. If their goal was to stop people from geocaching in the parks they've succeeded.

I know several cachers that are pulling their caches out of Gwinnett County parks with no intention of ever putting any back. This new fee, container rules, and permit are just not worth the hassle and seem more like a money grab by the county. If their goal was to stop people from geocaching in the parks they've succeeded.

Talk to them and let them know that their policy is driving people (who want to see the park flourish) away. As I told Ramness show them how many flock to Yellow River for that one cache and I bet they will be willing to lighten the guidelines.

Wow, The CO is upset at those cachers putting throwdown and emailing.

Read his note log.

CO's note log

Anyone here agree with the CO that other cachers can be annoying when trying to save old caches?

Edit to add...

This is the same human behavior(s) that we are saw on mingo. Its really annoying.

Edited by SwineFlew

Wow, The CO is upset at those cachers putting throwdown and emailing.

Read his note log.

CO's note log

Anyone here agree with the CO that other cachers can be annoying when trying to save old caches?

Edit to add...

This is the same human behavior(s) that we are saw on mingo. Its really annoying.

I definitely agree with him. Here's hoping the GGA (a great organization) can help him get everything worked out with the parks, and that other cachers just let him be the owner and let it drop.