SUBMITTED (25439) - [FEATURE] Do away with audit log

ColleIsarco

But some of them apply to PMO EarthCaches just as much as they apply to any other PMO caches.
Could you elaborate? I am wondering whether to bother creating a [FEATURE] thread asking for no PMO Earthcaches.
Looking through the reasons on the page I linked to, the following look like they could apply to EarthCaches:
  • Using the audit log feature of PMO caches.
  • Encouraging others to buy premium memberships, or rewarding them for doing so.
  • Preventing search engines and unregistered visitors from accessing logs and photos posted to the cache.
  • Rewarding premium members with an FTF opportunity (switching off the PMO flag later).
  • Slowing down the initial rush of traffic to the cache site, to reduce geotrails (switching off the PMO flag later).
  • Limiting access to "serious" geocachers, expecting them to treat the cache/camouflage/location/contents with more respect.
  • Limiting access to "serious" geocachers, expecting them to post better online logs.
  • Hiding caches from local basic members who complain (e.g., about caches that are "too difficult" or that cost money to find).
  • Being curious about what it's like to own a PMO cache.
  • Wanting to take advantage of all the features offered to premium members.

Knowing that someone is watching is what prevents me from clicking on PMO caches, even tho I am a PM.

well i guess you should stop using the internet

Not necessarily. I know numerous stories where a cache disappeared and people who looked at the cache description, but have not logged the cache as found it are accused of having removed the cache. I am against illegal bridge climbing caches and there are some where I regularly follow the logs and access the cache page each time for that reason. I would refrain from doing so for PMO caches if I were a PM as I am not eager for being accused of destroying caches something I never would do on purpose.

There are lots of owners of PMO caches who think that only people on the audit log file have access to their cache pages and so they accuse the wrong persons. I cannot think of a comparable issue with using the internet in general.

Cezanne

I've got 25 caches hidden. A couple of those I've adopted. Probably 7 or 8 of mine are PMO cahces, for the simple reasons:

1. They have a history of disappearing.

2. Their an ammo can or something I have spent significant money for.

I know around the Kansas City area, ammo cans seem to walk away quite often. I don't know if I've got lucky, but since going to PMO only on those a few months ago, none of them have come up missing.

I'm fine with PMO caches. I don't do them, but my other 2/3rds will if she knows the owner. She just found one lately, a micro in a parking lot lamp post. Real good use of the PMO feature.

If someone wants to believe that PMO hides somehow remain due to them PMO that's fine too, though most of us have seen instances where it's not true.

- My problem is with the audit log.

I don't PQ. I click on only the caches I'd like to do. For some a good distance, I may click on a hide a dozen times before I do it.

Well, as someone who has been bothered by COs emailing "okay, when you gonna do it?" (daily- for weeks) to one who asked," If you're not going to do it, please stop looking".

Really? You intentionally make it PMO so the micro-manager in you can check and I can't look anymore?

I got in a bit of trouble on a local site after saying I found the audit log creepy. Also mentioned how anal it all seemed and some, not knowing how it's meant, went nuts.

I originally asked for an "Ignore by Hider" feature (one of the few I'd use as PMO), but if the audit log was gone, that would end my issue.

Well, as someone who has been bothered by COs emailing "okay, when you gonna do it?" (daily- for weeks) to one who asked," If you're not going to do it, please stop looking".

Really? You intentionally make it PMO so the micro-manager in you can check and I can't look anymore?

You should publicize those GC Codes here in the forums. A lot of people world-wide could really drive those COs nuts :bad:

Knowing that someone is watching is what prevents me from clicking on PMO caches, even tho I am a PM.
well i guess you should stop using the internet

The simple fact is that many people regard their browsing (but not posting) habits as no-one else's business. This is supported in forum software, which typically allows you to hide your online presence, and web browers, which allow you to switch off tracking cookies. It is natural and common for people to want to be able to privately watch a game before publicly engaging in it.

Please don't get rid of the audit logs. The only reason I have any PMO caches is for this feature.

It's not exactly vital but it helps one see who is working on a puzzle, who in (and out of) your area sees that you have placed a cache etc... For those who do not want to be seen in an audit log, there are ways to mask this. One of the easiest is to use the new version of GSAK or via PQ's.

Hi there,

this request has been posted on the old Uservoice based feedback-forum. Since there has been a deep discussion about this item and Groundspeak promised to review this request internal I resend the request here.

Regards

Edit: +3

If we had the ability to throw votes at this, I would do as many as possible.

The audit logs are one of the most abused "features" on geocaching.com and, aside from being wildly inaccurate and easy to circumvent, serve no valid purpose. Get rid of them.

-infinity (this + and - stuff just seems so childish)

I see no issue with the system the way it is. As frinklabs stated if you have a problem with being "tracked" by the CO (remember GC can must track you) then don't click on PMO caches.