Etrex 20 mapping question

phlatlander

I am looking to replace my aging Garmin Legend and the Etrex 20 looks like a good choice. I also have a Nuvi 1350 and I have successfully loaded and displayed Europe maps from openstreetmap.org in .img format. On the Nuvi you have to ensure the map name is gmapsupp.img and you can only have the installed map and one more .img map running at a time.

My question is, has anybody downloaded and displayed a .img map from openstreetmap.org on an Etrex 20?

I also have a Nuvi 1350 and I have successfully loaded and displayed Europe maps from openstreetmap.org in .img format. On the Nuvi you have to ensure the map name is gmapsupp.img and you can only have the installed map and one more .img map running at a time.

That is quite not true. The newer 4 number Nuvis allow open naming for maps, but only on internal memory. On external memory, you need to use one of the 4 possible fixed names.

As per all other Garmins, you can turn whatever maps on or off that you want.

I created a folder named Garmin on the microSD and put the file from OSM there and it worked. I wanted to use the SD card as a prevention/easy-fix, in case the file was corrupted. The other advantage is that copying the file to the SD while it is in your computer is much faster than the transfer to the internal memory of the Etrex.

I don't have the eTrex 20 yet, but will be picking one up later this week.

The instuctions I found say to put it under the Garmin folder on the microSD.

Can you place the OSM .img file on the internal memory of the eTrex, or do you have to put the .img file on a microSD card in the external slot?

The maps can be on either internal or external memory.

Regarding maps on a Nuvi 1350.

E: = my Nuvi 1350

G: = the micro sd card in the Nuvi 1350

An earlier post by me said the Nuvi 1350 could only use two maps, its own E:\.system\gmapprom.img and G:\garmin\gmapsupp.img. While this is mostly true, you can have many .img maps.

On the 1350 you must create a g:\map\ subdirectory and you can load several .img maps there. Right now I have 2 different maps of Europe, Mexico, Aruba, Barbados and I can "go" there via my test .csv file. I have even simulated driving in some of the cities.

I get all my additional maps from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Thanks for that, seems the new Etrex has yet another Garmin implementation of how to store/name maps then :)

Would be good if they could stick to one so we know where we stand

Didn't Garmin start with one implementation (had to be "gmapsupp.img") and then switch to another (can be a user-defined name ending in .img) that they've since stuck with?

Thanks for that, seems the new Etrex has yet another Garmin implementation of how to store/name maps then :)

Would be good if they could stick to one so we know where we stand

I think I didn't explain it very well. You can use any name you want* with the eTrex 20/30.

*Within reason. I presume there are limits as to length and allowable characters. I haven't gone searching for what might not work.

Silly question, but I have a new Garmin eTrex 20. I know how to download files from my PC. Is there any way to program a GC code directly Into to the unit. The only option I seem to have when entering something manually while in the field is to input the GPS coordinates.

Thanks

Edited by TrekJohnC

Silly question, but I have a new Garmin eTrex 20. I know how to download files from my PC. Is there any way to program a GC code directly Into to the unit. The only option I seem to have when entering something manually while in the field is to input the GPS coordinates.

Thanks

Not so much a silly question as an incomplete question. Perhaps you can explain what you are trying to accomplish while you are in the field, then we can help you solve your problem. (I can't imagine why you want to do what you asked us about.)