Europe Travel

dagibbz

My wife and I next year are thinking of doing Europe the old school way. Not so much the cash, but the hosteling.. maybe lucky for a host here or there. Using transit rather than renting a car and such.

Germany, Austria, Denmark, Sweden etc etc.

Any advice would be great

would love to meet up with some European cachers and do any kinds of road trip or team work caching.

Honestly also looking to make some friends along the way. You see these shows with travelers and it seems that Europe is the way to go when it comes to adventure like this.

Sounds like you are planning quite a trip!

The train network in Europe is a great way to see different countries, and I think there are special tickets (Interrail, etc) that give you discounts on longer train trips.

I've stayed in hostels in Germany, Sweden and Finland on motorcycling trips, and I've enjoyed all of them. But those weren't in the biggest cities, but smaller towns.

One thing you might want to consider is the timing of when you travel, I understand some of the hostels are quite busy when the universities have their summer breaks.

And I'm sure you'll be able to meet up with cachers in different countries, with a little advance planning!

One of the things which I did not think about until it became an issue for me was this: some European countries use alphabets that my GPS could not handle. For example, if someone told me to direct my GPS to an address on Burgenstraße , I could not input that. And in my case, using a substitute like Burgenstrasse did not work.

Make sure you are prepared for this ahead of time.

Have a great trip!

Thank you. Yeah we'd rather stay in the smaller places frankly.

As for the GPS issue we'd likely load them back home prior to travel. I think.

We'd likely also go during the off peak, and yes when people were in school. I figure Sept or Oct 2012, or earlier 2013.

That kind of trip we'd want to plan for and buy the right stuff. Not exactly the type of equipment you'd buy from walmart