SUBMITTED (30594) - [FEATURE] Quests - making challenge caches a separate cache type

ValHamilton

There was a suggestion in the UserVoice system to give Challenge Caches their own type.

I think it is still a good idea, but obviously, calling the new type "Challenge Caches" is going to be confusing since we now have Geocaching Challenges.

I like the term Quests.

Another option would be to use a name that reflects the logging requirements that Challenge Caches are allowed to have, but that other physical caches are not allowed to have. But calling them ALR Caches or Logging Requirement Caches doesn't sound as inspiring as calling them Challenge Caches or Quest Caches.

Challenge Caches definitely need their own cache type or at least an Attribute so they can be found more easily. "Quest" seems like a good idea for a new name for Jasmer/Fizzy/etc caches since the existance of non-cache Challenges confuses things.

An Attribute might be the best solution since the are already hundreds if not thousands of Challenge/Quest caches out there already listed as Unknown/Mystery caches. Night Caches, Field Puzzles, and Chirp caches all have an Attribute - why not Challenge caches?

I suggest creating new category called Quests. In it would be any caches like an ABC, the Delorme or Jasmer challenges. I love doing these and am always searching through the new caches to find them.

I like this idea. I might have voted for it in the old Feedback site, I can't remember.

It would so nice to be able to quickly identify the Challenge Caches by icon/category.

Challenge caches are something totally different than puzzle caches. They should have their own icon. This proposal got a lot of support in the former Feedback and met no resistance, but was not implemented.

Personally, I think its own icon would be preferable - listed as a puzzle cache sub type maybe (like Geoundspeak HQ) - even though it would lead to a rush of cachers setting silly challenges just to get the icon...

M

I have been seeing some challenge caches lately, and they are listed as Mystery-Unknown caches. The description always starts with, "The cache IS at the posted coordinates, but in order to claim the find, in addition to signing the log, you must also...". This is when the challenge is described (eg. find 100 caches in a day, find caches of 6 different types on the same day, find the top-10 favorited caches within 20 miles of your home zip code, etc).

I think it would be a good idea if the challenge caches had their own icons. They aren't puzzles, and they ARE at the posted coords.

Just a thought...

I think it would be a good idea if the challenge caches had their own icons.
This has been suggested before:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285435

They aren't puzzles, and they ARE at the posted coords.
I agree that Challenge Caches are not puzzles, but until there is a separate type for them, they're fine as mystery/puzzle caches (which is explicitly a catch-all type). And FWIW, I've found several puzzle caches that were located at the posted coordinates, or where the first puzzle stage was located at the posted coordinates. Not all puzzles use bogus coordinates.
I think it would be a good idea if the challenge caches had their own icons.
This has been suggested before:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285435

They aren't puzzles, and they ARE at the posted coords.
I agree that Challenge Caches are not puzzles, but until there is a separate type for them, they're fine as mystery/puzzle caches (which is explicitly a catch-all type). And FWIW, I've found several puzzle caches that were located at the posted coordinates, or where the first puzzle stage was located at the posted coordinates. Not all puzzles use bogus coordinates.

I didn't realize it had been suggested before. Thanx for pointing out that thread.

And my suggestion was not a complaint at the difference between bogus and true coords. I agree with you there. It just seems like Challenge Caches (or Quest Caches, or Fulfillment Caches, or whatever you would like to call them) are a different animal, and could be treated as such. I liked the idea of a subcategory under Mystery/Unknown caches (like the way there are several different kinds of event caches under the Event Cache umbrella.

Just my $0.02...

They are talking about this type of cache

http://coord.info/GC1K275

In order to claim a find you have to do a geocaching related task BEFORE you find the cache.

This is different from an ALR cache in that you don't have to do any additional tasks AFTER you find the cache.

Look for Fizzy challenges, All county challenges or Delorme challenges for more information.

They are talking about this type of cache

http://coord.info/GC1K275

In order to claim a find you have to do a geocaching related task BEFORE you find the cache.

This is different from an ALR cache in that you don't have to do any additional tasks AFTER you find the cache.

Look for Fizzy challenges, All county challenges or Delorme challenges for more information.

Challenge caches vs Geocaching Challenges

Oops, I see this link was already mentioned above.

Edited by cheech gang

I think it would be a good idea if the challenge caches had their own icons. They aren't puzzles, and they ARE at the posted coords.

Are they?

According to the guidelines they don't have to be at the posted co-ordinates:

The challenge cache must be findable without needing to email the owner, either by posting the true coordinates or by posting instructions for a puzzle or multi-cache.

Paragraph 10:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

So you could have a nasty puzzle with a tough qualifying criteria. :unsure:

Mark

Why do mystery caches have to involve puzzle solving? Why can't mystery caches be at the posted coordinates?

They can be at the posted co-ordinates!

The Unknown/Mystery aspect could be because something else required to access the cache eg find a key which is on a travel bug in order to unlock the cache

Requiring special equipment to reach an other wise traditional cache wouldn't make it an Unknown/Mystery though...

Mark

Why do mystery caches have to involve puzzle solving? Why can't mystery caches be at the posted coordinates?

They can be at the posted co-ordinates!

The Unknown/Mystery aspect could be because something else required to access the cache eg find a key which is on a travel bug in order to unlock the cache

Requiring special equipment to reach an other wise traditional cache wouldn't make it an Unknown/Mystery though...

Mark

I know! :anitongue:

Are there any news regarding this topic (it has the state SUBMITTED actually) ?

A year or so ago someone would Groundspeak would submit requests to their tracking database and then update the thread title as you see here. SUBMITTED only meant the they were considering the request, and we're not privy to any internal discussion regarding whether or not a "submitted" request will ever actually get implemented. Some time around a year ago someone from GS also posted that they would stop commenting on request (by changing the subject line), perhaps because it led to the expectation that a change in it's status meant that the request would actually be implemented.

In Berlin, Germany, there are some so-called Challenges, that include a requirement for logging, but additionally the final coords are hidden in another mystery.

I also found one on GC.com from North Carolina that is the same way: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=22ab18d2-a02b-45eb-ac8f-f2f58de0121d

Thus I suggest there should only be an attribute, that is given to all these caches.

This would also include caches that you need a special key for that is found on Travelbugs.

Same kinda thing!

+1 for Creating a new cache type called Challenge Cache. Beings Geocaching Challenges have now gone away and should have just been called Virtuals... I digress.

"Challenge caches" Already have clearly defined rules in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books in section 4.14. We just need an icon. Years ago when I first put forth a thread, I came up with an icon that could be used. Of course, now I can't find the icon graphic, but it was cool!

Hopefully its soon

The Steaks

Bonus Caches can be described as challenge caches as well.

e.g: you have to find all caches of a series and then you get to find the bonus cache.

It is the same idea as a Challenge. It would not make sense to create a new icon for those, therefore I suggest an (single) attribute for Challenge Caches, Bonuses and Caches that need e.g a travelbug to open etc.

Challenge caches should in my opinion have their own icon.

As challenge cache are a specific cache type normally placed at the published coordinates it would be great to let challenges have their own icon.

This way you can see how many challenges someone has performed in their statistics.

But even more important. The need to set all challenge caches manually to corrected coordinates in programs like GSAK disappears. You would immediately be able to see it is a cache at the specified coords and that it is a cache with logging restrictions.

So, I think it would be a good thing to give challenge caches their a distinctive icon.

Bonus Caches can be described as challenge caches as well.

e.g: you have to find all caches of a series and then you get to find the bonus cache.

It is the same idea as a Challenge. It would not make sense to create a new icon for those, therefore I suggest an (single) attribute for Challenge Caches, Bonuses and Caches that need e.g a travelbug to open etc.

Not necessarily, if a bonus were a challenge you'd need to find all the series before you could claim a find even if you stumbled upon it. With many series if you can't find one you can take a best guess as to what the clue in it might have been - if it's a format like N 51 12.ABC W 000 15.DEF and the six values are hidden in each of six caches you can assume C=5 and F=5 and still expect to find the cache, as long as you've got ABDE. If you're missing A or D (the most significant figures) you can still plot all the possible combinations and take a guess which is most likely to be the one you want.

Some of the challenge caches I've been working towards state that some of the finds within the challenge can't be challenge caches themselves (usually to do with D/T and fair enough too).

It would be nice to be able to distinguish these caches, so thought I'd see if they could be, and finding they couldn't whether there was any discussion, consequently found this thread.

GS identifies Challenge Caches in 1.15 (http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206)

Compare with other "special" caches

1.14 Puzzle/Mystery/Unknown - have a separate cache type

1.16 Night and UV caches - have special attributes that can use used

1.17 Beacon Caches - also an attribute

1.15 Challenge Caches are the only specifically mentioned special cache without a way of identifying it.

The current Guideline for Challenge Caches where updated 3/12/12 (Mar 12th or 3rd Dec?) - in the lull of this forum.

I don't think it really matters HOW these caches are identifies, but given that GS recognises that they ARE different I do wonder why no way has yet been provided to do so.

An exclamation mark (!) either as a type or attribute would work for me.