Montana 650 charging question

WrongwayUK

I have just bought a Montana 650 today. Is there a way to stop it going into USB mode when connected to a USB power supply or even a USB port on a computer so that you can still use the device and also charge it at the same time. I know that if you use the dedicated charger that comes with the GPS then it doesn't lock it into USB mode and you can switch on and still use it. But if I want to power it in the car via a 12V USB adapter it forces to USB mode. I am sure I could do it on my 60CSX.

You might like to read this post:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285355&pid=4892538&st=0entry4892538

Although it talks about the difference between a 62 and a 60 the same applies to the difference between a Montana and a 60.

Thank's for the link. I suspected it was something like that, I had the same problem initially with an iPhone. I tried a few different USB cables. I think one of them had the power connections only and not the data as that worked after a fashion. When connected it randomly kept switching between mass storage mode and normal mode. So I don't think its as simple as I was hoping. I phoned Garmin here in the UK. I don't think they were interested.

http://forums.Ground...0

Although it talks about the difference between a 62 and a 60 the same applies to the difference between a Montana and a 60.

Thank's for the link. I suspected it was something like that, I had the same problem initially with an iPhone. I tried a few different USB cables. I think one of them had the power connections only and not the data as that worked after a fashion. When connected it randomly kept switching between mass storage mode and normal mode. So I don't think its as simple as I was hoping. I phoned Garmin here in the UK. I don't think they were interested.

I haven't tried it myself with my Oregon, but I'd say the culprit isn't the cable, but rather the charger itself. Some chargers are dumb and simply supply the correct voltage while being silent on the data pins of the USB port. Those chargers should work with Garmins (they supply power, but aren't recognized as USB host), but don't work with other devices (such as the Flip video camera). Other chargers are "smart" and talk on the data pins, through that the device sees them as proper USB hosts, which also allows them to negotiate higher amperage, something that the Flip camera requires to be charged. Those chargers would cause the Garmin to go into mass storage mode.

At least that would be my theory. I could be totally off of course.

http://forums.Ground...0

I haven't tried it myself with my Oregon, but I'd say the culprit isn't the cable, but rather the charger itself. Some chargers are dumb and simply supply the correct voltage while being silent on the data pins of the USB port. Those chargers should work with Garmins (they supply power, but aren't recognized as USB host), but don't work with other devices (such as the Flip video camera). Other chargers are "smart" and talk on the data pins, through that the device sees them as proper USB hosts, which also allows them to negotiate higher amperage, something that the Flip camera requires to be charged. Those chargers would cause the Garmin to go into mass storage mode.

At least that would be my theory. I could be totally off of course.

The USB spec is interesting. This is a quote from part of it.

Quotes from wikipedia:

“In Battery Charging Specification, new powering modes are added to the USB specification. …”

“..USB 2.0 standard-A connectors are rated at 1500 mA by default. A Dedicated Charging Port can supply a maximum of 1.8 A of current at 5.25 V. A portable device can draw up to 1.8 A from a Dedicated Charging Port. The Dedicated Charging Port shorts the D+ and D- pins with a resistance of at most 200 Ω. The short disables data transfer, but allows devices to detect the Dedicated Charging Port and allows very simple, high current chargers to be manufactured. The increased current (faster, 9 W charging) will occur once both the host/hub and devices support the new charging specification…”

I thought my iPad charger was intelligent as it supplies nearly 2 amps to the iPad via its USB socket. But when plugged into a computer USB port the iPad draws a lot less current. But trying the Garmin in the iPad charger with the Garmin USB lead still sends the Montana into mass storage mode. I am starting to suspect that it might be using a non standard method to indicate that its connected to the charger.

Enable spanner mode: Setup--> System --> Interface --> Garmin Spanner

Thats excellent, thank you for that. Works a treat. When you plug in the USB in spanner mode it asks if you want mass storage mode or not just like it did on my 60CSX. Why the chap at Garmin couldn't tell me that yesterday I don't know. But then again he didn't seem very interested.

Spanner mode works great. Thanks for that.

Just one question -- Does it charge the batteries when in spanner mode or mass storage mode?

I just put my 650 into spanner mode and connected to the USB port of a computer leaving the GPS displaying. The battery was indicating 2/3 full initially. About an hour later after disconnecting the usb lead the battery indicates full. It looks like it might charge the battery at the same time as running the GPS. I don't expect the current consumption of the GPS will be high as they are designed to run for several hours off a charge.

Ah yes, forgot the Montana comes with a Lithium Ion battery which will indeed recharge if plugged in, I'm not sure but I suspect like the other Garmin handhelds it won't charge any AA rechargeables that can be used in place of the Lithium Ion pack, but that could also be wrong :rolleyes:

Thats something I am not sure about either. But I very much doubt they enable charging on the AA terminals. Although there is a menu setting for the type of AA thats fitted, alkaline or rechargeable etc. I think that is there purely for showing the correct values on the battery gauge. Anyway, Li-ion has a totally different charging technique to NiMi rechargeable batteries, also it would be too dangerous as you could get into the position of charging alkalines by accident!

Hello. Has anyone had an issue with the Montana's screen becoming distorted when charging is complete? While charging the battery you see "Garmin" along with the percentage of charge. When the percentage gets to 100% the screen becomes jumbled. This is my first post. Hopefully it is in the right place. Thanks.

garygonefyshin@yahoo.ca

@ Sussamb,

What about the Oregon?....it does the same thing (asks about whether to go into mass storage or not) and it doesn't have a li-ion battery.

When set for Spanner mode...

Hook it up with usb and when it asks Mass Storage? , press No, and it can be used even without batteries in it.

Same with 78S........and Montana......

None of those will charge AA batteries hooked up to usb.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Remember, or ever hear of N Route from Garmin? L-o-o-ong time ago...

I believe Spanner mode was created to make newer units compatible with that. Way back at the beginning of the Colorado and first Oregon series, when the new file system was introduced.

So, you must have been frustrated much longer than necessary.

will the Lithium Ion battery recharge if connected to a PC ?..

Yes. Anytime there is adequate power on the USB port, the unit will charge the Li-Ion battery if it is installed. As far as I know it does not charge AA batteries if those are used instead.

Remember, or ever hear of N Route from Garmin? L-o-o-ong time ago...

I believe Spanner mode was created to make newer units compatible with that. Way back at the beginning of the Colorado and first Oregon series, when the new file system was introduced.

So, you must have been frustrated much longer than necessary.

I still have a copy of n-Route on an old laptop that I periodically used with a bluetooth GPS receiver and City Navigator Europe.

Only had the Montana since October 2011, before that I used a 60CSx for five years and it was never an issue with that unit.

I know this is a very old thread, but just in case someone like me just stumbles on this thread, I first want to thank the person who gave directions for setting the Garmin Spanner setting. I just changed my Montana 650t to the Garmin Spanner setting, that I've had since the Montana 650t came out.

Now when I plug in my Montana 650t to either my laptop, using a non-Garmin USB cable, or a non-Garmin USB cable connected to a non-Garmin power supply, I am prompted "USB Cable Detected, Would you like to go to Mass Storage". When I select "No", my Montana turns on like normal, and the battery icon has a flashing lighting bolt in it, and if I power it off, my Montana, with the non-Garmin USB cable still plugged in, goes to the normal Garmin screen with the battery charge indicator under it, showing the percentage of charge. just like it used to do when I plugged in the Garmin power supply to my Montana.

I have confirmed that the method does charge when my unit is turned on, and when it is turned off, as the battery percentage continues to increase until it reaches 100%. I have also confirmed that when I am prompted "USB Cable Detected, Would you like to go to Mass Storage", and I select "Yes", I can access both the internal memory, and my flash card, and Garmin Express and Garmin BaseCamp both have access to my Montana.

I haven't carried my Garmin OEM power supply around in my geocaching bag since I bought my Montana, because I'd much rather have a USB power supply that allows me to charge many different USB devices that I carry around with me, that use different USB cables than my Montana uses. I hope this post helps someone.

Best Regards,

Robert

Trustworthy

Sterling Heights, Michigan

I also know this is a very old thread, but I have something to add: When you first connect your Garmin to your PC, it's in mass storage mode. If you use the Basecamp software to eject the Garmin, then it exits mass storage mode and lets you use the GPS normally. If you don't want to mess with that, then just change settings to use Garmin Spanner as described above.