How to deal with "premium member only" caches when doing a hide?

Hello everyone-

I started geocaching about four years ago, did it for a couple of months, and then fell out. I have recently taken it up again, with my very excited three year old as my partner. I am using a free account, as I just can't justify the cost of the premium membership right now.

After a few days out in the woods, we talked about it and decided to hide our own cache. We collected the container, materials, etc, and put it all together. Then we went out to a favorite park and chose a location that met all of the guidelines. We hid the cache, and were both very excited.

I went home and filled out the online form for the hide. When the reviewer got back to me, he explained that I was violating the .1 mile guideline because several stages of a multi-cache were closer than that to my hide location. He suggested that I complete that cache to find the location of all of the points. When I went to look at that cache, I found that the owner had set it to be available only to premium members. This means that I, with my free account, can't even see the cache at all when looking on the mapping application or other searches on geocaching.com.

This is really personally frustrating to me, since I now have to:

a) go through the effort of retrieving and re-hiding the cache (though I already have another idea)

B ) explain to my son why we can't hide our "treasure" where we wanted to and we have to go move it

My question is this:

If I can't even see the locations of some caches because I am not paying for a membership, how am I supposed to know if a location is a safe spot to hide a cache before I go to the trouble of going out, hiding it, and marking the spot? I would really like to take my son out and re-hide this but I don't want to waste a day doing it and then have to explain to him that we have to move it AGAIN if there are more caches that I can't see in the area.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

I would try to work with the Reviewer in your area. They generally love to help . I would also try working with other cache owners, especially the one that has the PM cache. They should be more than willing to help if you explain the situation.

And also, take what you read here with a grain of salt. The Forums can seem pretty "edgy" sometimes. If you are caching for free because of financial reasons, I can spot you the Membership. (not prying into your business, just offering) Send me a private message.

Nice to see that I'm not the only sucker to a zombied thread!

Hello everyone-

I started geocaching about four years ago, did it for a couple of months, and then fell out. I have recently taken it up again, with my very excited three year old as my partner. I am using a free account, as I just can't justify the cost of the premium membership right now.

After a few days out in the woods, we talked about it and decided to hide our own cache. We collected the container, materials, etc, and put it all together. Then we went out to a favorite park and chose a location that met all of the guidelines. We hid the cache, and were both very excited.

I went home and filled out the online form for the hide. When the reviewer got back to me, he explained that I was violating the .1 mile guideline because several stages of a multi-cache were closer than that to my hide location. He suggested that I complete that cache to find the location of all of the points. When I went to look at that cache, I found that the owner had set it to be available only to premium members. This means that I, with my free account, can't even see the cache at all when looking on the mapping application or other searches on geocaching.com.

a) go through the effort of retrieving and re-hiding the cache (though I already have another idea)

B ) explain to my son why we can't hide our "treasure" where we wanted to and we have to go move it

My question is this:

If I can't even see the locations of some caches because I am not paying for a membership, how am I supposed to know if a location is a safe spot to hide a cache before I go to the trouble of going out, hiding it, and marking the spot? I would really like to take my son out and re-hide this but I don't want to waste a day doing it and then have to explain to him that we have to move it AGAIN if there are more caches that I can't see in the area.

Thanks.

I would try to work with the Reviewer in your area. They generally love to help . I would also try working with other cache owners, especially the one that has the PM cache. They should be more than willing to help if you explain the situation.

And also, take what you read here with a grain of salt. The Forums can seem pretty "edgy" sometimes. If you are caching for free because of financial reasons, I can spot you the Membership. (not prying into your business, just offering) Send me a private message.

Nice to see that I'm not the only sucker to a zombied thread!

Oh SNAP!! Well, can't say I didn't try. I am gonna have to pay just a littttlle more attention.:mellow: Had to come back and see who had the shovel.:mad:

The OP was probably a Nigerian Prince too. Wow do I feel foolish.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

Well, if you take the gas and time you wasted on just this one cache, not to mention the amount of your life you lost due to your angst, and are planning on hiding more caches maybe the $30/year for a PM will actually save you money and help you live longer.

We just ran into the same issue. There is a large area near our house with no caches...so we thought. Ha! We placed our 2nd cache ever, filled out the request and got the email saying it was too close to a premium cache. We tried to view the coordinates and got the message 'the cache owner has chosen to make this cache listing visible to Premium Members only'.

I am wondering if there are other Premiums hidden in the same 'empty area', which is about 4,000 feet by 4,000 feet. I have emailed the Reviewer asking for some help. I did get back the suggestion to buy a premium membership...

Would it be bad etiquette to ask if anyone is a PM and would tell me the general area of the hidden Premium Cache?

Thanks!

BTW - my kids and I only have 145 caches, but we love going when we can and trying to find new ones. It's taken us 5 years to get to 145, so we're not quite the Cache a Day family, but we do enjoy it!

We just ran into the same issue. There is a large area near our house with no caches...so we thought. Ha! We placed our 2nd cache ever, filled out the request and got the email saying it was too close to a premium cache. We tried to view the coordinates and got the message 'the cache owner has chosen to make this cache listing visible to Premium Members only'.

I am wondering if there are other Premiums hidden in the same 'empty area', which is about 4,000 feet by 4,000 feet. I have emailed the Reviewer asking for some help. I did get back the suggestion to buy a premium membership...

Would it be bad etiquette to ask if anyone is a PM and would tell me the general area of the hidden Premium Cache?

Thanks!

BTW - my kids and I only have 145 caches, but we love going when we can and trying to find new ones. It's taken us 5 years to get to 145, so we're not quite the Cache a Day family, but we do enjoy it!

So why don't you read the Knowledge book article on checking cache saturation? You don't need to be a premium member to check if your proposed cache site is to close to a premium member cache. You will note that using the methods outlined in that article you don't need to be a premium member. You won't find the finals for mystery caches or the stages/finals for multi's, but then again even premium members have that problem also.

Edited by jholly

I do see now that if I had done the lat / long search it would have shown me at least the existence of the premium only multi-cache, but it still lists that as being far enough away that I should have been ok. Unfortunately, without the co-operation of the owner of that cache, I have no way of finding the points of it. I have found all of the other caches in that area, (that I can see) and I figured that we'd be safe there since both my GPS (iPhone 4S with the Groundspeak app) and the main site showed no other caches in the area.

It is just frustrating to me that the fact that I am not willing to pay Groundspeak for a membership means that I am at a disadvantage when trying to contribute, that's all.

No one else has asked so I will... WHY are you unwilling to pay Groundspeak for a membership ?

There are some questions that should not be asked, and this is one of them. In my opinion it is none of your business.

It is never inappropriate to ask a question that is relevant as that one was.

Hello everyone-

My question is this:

Thanks.

its horrible that you have to deal with all this nonsense of paying member's caches getting in your way and you and your son can't hide your 'treasure' where you wanted!! that is just so wrong and i totally feel for you! what a shame! what an outrage!

I use this to help when searching for a spot close to other caches: www.freemaptools.com/radius around a point htm or just search: radius around a point. You can set any sized radius you like on a map, and you can set the point by coords if you like, or just click on the map. Helps me set hides that are close to others.

That doesn't help him since he can't get premium caches so they won't be there to make a circle. Also it doesn't account for multis and unknowns.

Hello everyone-

My question is this:

Thanks.

its horrible that you have to deal with all this nonsense of paying member's caches getting in your way and you and your son can't hide your 'treasure' where you wanted!! that is just so wrong and i totally feel for you! what a shame! what an outrage!

Read post #58. Not a problem, what is a problem is mysteries, multi's and Wherigo's. But those are a problem even for premium members.

I'm a premium member and have had proximity conflicts many times. One time my daughter was with me and we got bumped by...a multi!

Yes, it was dissapointing, but that's how it is hiding caches. The OP could just have easily had her cache rejected by a puzzle cache she hadn't solved or a multi that started far away.

What I have found is that it is best to #1 scout out the location on my own (without kids) #2 check the coordinates with the reviewer ahead of time #3 do all nearby puzzles and multis.

The reviewer will be happy to tell you which cache is causing the problem. I'm sure if you are non-PMO, they will also let you know who the cache owner is so you can contact them. If the cache owner is not responding, you can always contact another local cacher (who is a PM) who can help you. Then you can go out and do the multi. Just a couple of extra steps.

Even as a premium member, hiding a cache can be a hassle. If you want to place a cache anywhere you like, there are other sites for this.

I do see now that if I had done the lat / long search it would have shown me at least the existence of the premium only multi-cache, but it still lists that as being far enough away that I should have been ok. Unfortunately, without the co-operation of the owner of that cache, I have no way of finding the points of it. I have found all of the other caches in that area, (that I can see) and I figured that we'd be safe there since both my GPS (iPhone 4S with the Groundspeak app) and the main site showed no other caches in the area.

It is just frustrating to me that the fact that I am not willing to pay Groundspeak for a membership means that I am at a disadvantage when trying to contribute, that's all.

In your OP you stated you could not justify the cost of a premium membership. In this post you state your are not willing to pay for one. If you are unable to pay due to economics I can manage some sympathy. If you are unwilling I just see you as someone wanting something for nothing. Either way the reality is you can't see the final cache locations for all caches so you have to solve/find them. Pick your poison. You are paying the costs for an iPhone so I must assume you can easily afford the cost of a premium membership. I see no reason for you to complain. Pay and you can play. Stay with the free membership and accept the somewhat reduced features.

I agree with Leatherstocking. SOme of us can't afford a premium membership. THis is supposed to be fun, but you have people wanting to be elitist and only hiding caches that other premium members can find. I can understand restricting some perks to premium members , like allowing them to see new cache listings first. But everyone should be able to find all caches and not be excluded. We have nenver had a lot of money, I can't even afford insurance so a premium membership is not an option. Now I am without a job since we moved and I have hardly money for gas. I ride my bike to find caches here. And what about kids geting into it, who have no money, or older people who might like the caching as a way to motivate them to get outside. I don't understand the need some have to exclude some because they are not premium members. It seems very selfish to me.

ANd I also had that problem with a premium cache I didn't know about interfering with a hide I wanted to make in Missouri. Now there is a bunch down on the greenway in Ocala that I can't do.

If you can afford it, great. but those without a lot of money have to do without enough without being excluded by their own community here too.

In your OP you stated you could not justify the cost of a premium membership. In this post you state your are not willing to pay for one. If you are unable to pay due to economics I can manage some sympathy. If you are unwilling I just see you as someone wanting something for nothing. Either way the reality is you can't see the final cache locations for all caches so you have to solve/find them. Pick your poison. You are paying the costs for an iPhone so I must assume you can easily afford the cost of a premium membership. I see no reason for you to complain. Pay and you can play. Stay with the free membership and accept the somewhat reduced features.

I agree with Leatherstocking. SOme of us can't afford a premium membership. THis is supposed to be fun, but you have people wanting to be elitist and only hiding caches that other premium members can find. I can understand restricting some perks to premium members , like allowing them to see new cache listings first. But everyone should be able to find all caches and not be excluded. We have nenver had a lot of money, I can't even afford insurance so a premium membership is not an option. Now I am without a job since we moved and I have hardly money for gas. I ride my bike to find caches here. And what about kids geting into it, who have no money, or older people who might like the caching as a way to motivate them to get outside. I don't understand the need some have to exclude some because they are not premium members. It seems very selfish to me.

ANd I also had that problem with a premium cache I didn't know about interfering with a hide I wanted to make in Missouri. Now there is a bunch down on the greenway in Ocala that I can't do.

If you can afford it, great. but those without a lot of money have to do without enough without being excluded by their own community here too.

PMO caches don't interfere with hiding caches any more than regular caches. See "Checking for Cache Saturation" to check the proximity to a PMO cache. If your astute you will discover a way to find those PMO caches on the Greenway. As for logging the PMO caches, geocachingadmin.com is your friend. Now I agree that those pesky multis and puzzle caches will be a problem, but they are a problem for premium members also.

I just had the same thing happen to me. Placed my first cache ever but after review was told that it is too close to a cache that is for premium members only so it didn't show up on my map.

I found this thread looking to see if there was a way to try and avoid stepping on premium caches toes when planting but it looks like a paid membership is the only way.

Kind of took the wind out of our sails but we will try again. Hopefully this was just bad luck and their aren't premium caches all over the place.

Again...keep in mind...proximity issues are present for everyone...not just Premium vs Nonpremium Members. Simply put, one needs to check with a reviewer if there ever is a question...and even then, one just has to be prepared to move or retrieve a failed attempt. Even in the recent year I have been "turned down"...just one of those moments...it happens...

I just had the same thing happen to me. Placed my first cache ever but after review was told that it is too close to a cache that is for premium members only so it didn't show up on my map.

I found this thread looking to see if there was a way to try and avoid stepping on premium caches toes when planting but it looks like a paid membership is the only way.

Kind of took the wind out of our sails but we will try again. Hopefully this was just bad luck and their aren't premium caches all over the place.

There's no reason to give up hope. Proximity issues affect everyone, and there are ways to deal with them.

Proximity issues involve more than just PMO caches, so one needs to be prepared and do some homework.

Help Center → Geocaching → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

4.9. Checking for Cache Saturation

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=199

B.