Upgrading to GSAK Ver 8

TechnoNut

I have trawled the GSAK forums, but can't find an answer to this.

I want to upgrade to V8, which is now out of Beta.

Are there any issues with Macros (e.g. BadgeGen, FSG, Garmin Export, others) when upgrading, or do they still work as in V7?

Would this upgrade routine work?

1. Make sure there is a copy of the latest V7 release in case of rollback.

2. Backup all databases with settings and macros.

3. Install V8 on top of V7.

4. Restore backup from step 2.

5. Verify all macros and databases.

6. In case of problems, rollback to V7.

PT

I am running Version 7 and 8 side by side:

V7 = C:\GSAK

V8 = C:\GSAK8

I installed V8 (by specifying a different directory)

Then created a GPX file in Version 7, and importing that into V8.

Note:

If you upgrade now to Version 8, and then load the latest patch (I think that is 8.1) you will be "unregistered".

I paid my $20.00 upgrade fee, and came to R165.00 a few weeks ago.

I think that if you install V8 over V7 it will do the upgrade for you, so no need to restore.

As you have it, steps 1 and 2 quite important in case you need to roll back.

Since V8 has been out I have hardly used V7.

There are "Beta" versions out for StatsGen and I think also for BadgeGen.

When checking new versions one has to be careful not to override the Beta version with the current active version.

Edited by DamhuisClan

I think that if you install V8 over V7 it will do the upgrade for you, so no need to restore.

As you have steps 1 and 2 quite important in case you need to roll back.

Thanks Anton - but I don't want the hassle of duplicate databases, so I will install V8 on top of V7. Then pay the additional registration fee to re-register,

Have there been any issues with any V7 macros running in V8? If so - which macros?

As you have steps 1 and 2 quite important in case you need to roll back.

Thanks Anton - but I don't want the hassle of duplicate databases, so I will install V8 on top of V7. Then pay the additional registration fee to re-register,

Have there been any issues with any V7 macros running in V8? If so - which macros?

GSAK v8 has been in beta for quite a while now and all the major macro authors have been busy ensuring their macros are up to date and working. There might be the odd one or two obscure macros that people use which may not have been updated, but the community of the GSAK forums are very good so if you post any error messages you receive I'm sure there will be a quick response as to how you can fix it yourself until the macro author gets around to posting an updated version.

Major macros I know work under v8 include: BadgeGen, StatsGen, GenUploadStats, UpdateCountyState, Elevation

I have upgraded to V8 by mistake, as I had not realized that it is a paying version. I'm rather angry against the GSAK editor, as the fact that V8 is a paying version is not advertized clearly when upgrading. Worse is that when you upgrade to V8, all your databases are upgraded too, and are no more compatible with V7. So, it is impossible to go back to the free (already paid) V7 version without loosing all your work. The only way I found to get out of this nightmare is to delete everything and to start re-installing V7 from scratch. Thank you GSAK for having destroyed all my databases!

I have upgraded to V8 by mistake, as I had not realized that it is a paying version. I'm rather angry against the GSAK editor, as the fact that V8 is a paying version is not advertized clearly when upgrading. Worse is that when you upgrade to V8, all your databases are upgraded too, and are no more compatible with V7. So, it is impossible to go back to the free (already paid) V7 version without loosing all your work. The only way I found to get out of this nightmare is to delete everything and to start re-installing V7 from scratch. Thank you GSAK for having destroyed all my databases!

You mean you didn't read this line that you clicked to get to the upgrade?

9th November, 2011 - Version 8.0.0 (using Geocaching.com "live" api) is now ready for download. Note: Version 8 is a chargeable upgrade for V7 registered users - for more information see here

If you allow GSAK to make backups each time you exit the app you do have backups of your V7 databases. Just re-install V7 and get one of the V7 backups to restore.

The other option is to take the whole V8 databse export all to a GPX file, and import into V7. I did this in the beginning a lot to get data moved between V7 and V8 on my laptop.

If you get stuck shout and I'll try and help.