Planning Visit

jeffbouldin
Followers 1

My wife and I have started talking about visiting the Republic and Northern Ireland for our 20th in 2013. Can anybody recommend some caches and areas we need to see? We want to stick to out of the way places. Small towns and non-touristy places. We want to drive the country, visit small puds and hear local music. Any websites that might help us plan would be helpful.

My wife and I have started talking about visiting the Republic and Northern Ireland for our 20th in 2013. Can anybody recommend some caches and areas we need to see? We want to stick to out of the way places. Small towns and non-touristy places. We want to drive the country, visit small puds and hear local music. Any websites that might help us plan would be helpful.

Hava a look at http://www.geocachingireland.com/ they have a forum there too.

I've done a bit of caching in Northern Ireland, and did the Giant's Causeway on the North coast, which while it is very touristy was pretty impressive, and the rest of the north coast is pretty quiet. I also did some caching in the foothills of the Mourne Mountains, which was off the tourist trail.

Yes, the Giant's Causeway (as above) and five more that we particularly enjoyed last year:

Malin Head, Ireland's most northern cache which, slightly strangely, is actually in southern Ireland, the Republic. A nice little bit of quirkiness.

Fort Dunree. See cache page description.

Not another Inch! Just a lovely spot.

Slieve League cliffs. A stunning location - even in the driving rain!

Omagh Bomb Memorial Garden. A very interesting memorial site. I wouldn't say go out of your way to visit, but worth seeing if it's along your route.

We also managed to get a fab deal at a 5* Hotel very close to Get the point BS tour #4 (see in the log photos) but will email you about that!

MrsB :)

In a pre-geocaching life I spent a lot of time working in Ireland and fishing for pike along the Shannon system as well as on Loughs Corrib and Mask further north. I found the best music in counties Clare and Limerick. O'Briensbridge is worth a visit and I can heartily recommend 'Crotty's Bar' in Killaloe if only for the (in)famous 'Miss Piggy Burgers'. If it's scenery you want, the Cliffs of Moher on the west coast and The Burren, just north of Lisdoonvarna (also good for music) can't be beaten. I can't recommend any caches as I've only been back to Dublin a couple of time since I started caching and they're the same as any city urban caches anywhere.

Edited by Pharisee

I've only been a couple of times but have managed to find some real beauties. It helps having an Uncle over there. In fact he suggested the first cache that I ever found as it was behind his house. That was 2.gifMount Leinster with fantastic views but doesn’t even make it to my recommendations here.

So here is my list of favourites:

2.gifEurope's First – On my list because of the significance but actually a lovely little seaside town and a gentle walk with a nice coastal view. It’s just south of Dublin.

4.gifShort Walk to a Long Fall – Out of this world. Will take a good proportion of a day and I recommend hiring a bicycle to get there. It is the otherside of Ireland from Dublin but the scenary and people are just fantastic.

8.gifA Rock and Two Spires – On the main land not far from short walk to a long fall. Entertaining if done at night, is quick and easy and really only on my recommended list if you happen to be in the area.

earthcache.gifGlendalough – Another breath taking place and well worth cycling to almost all checkpoints.

For me this holds a real love affair but probably not due to the cache. 2.gifThe Guinness Logbook Of Records