Plucker Rookie – Please Help

RocketMan

Ok, I finally bit the bullet and used my Palm m515 to bring along all of the cache pages for the area I was in on my last driving trip. I used GPX Spinner to create the pages, added the "Spinner Files" channel to Plucker on my PC, added the pages to Plucker on my PC, closed Plucker and then synced my palm and they all got uploaded to Plucker in my Palm. It worked great and now I am hooked, so I want to download my local PQ into my Palm.

I can’t get the Plucker pages to sync to my Palm now. I am creating the pages with GPX Spinner as before and then doing an update to the Spinner channel in Plucker on my PC. The pages load into Plucker on my PC just fine, but when I close Plucker and then sync my palm, the Plucker files do not get uploaded to the Palm. Can anyone help me on this?

BTW: The Plucker Conduit shows up in my HotSync custom setup and it is set to "Desktop overwrites handheld".

Thanks,

Rocket Man

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

Make sure you click the "Update the Selected Channels" button in plucker once you add the channel. Then do the hot sync. Could that be the step your missing?

I am updating the channel in Plucker and it that seems to go just fine, but when I sync my palm, the data does not get transferred.

quote:
Originally posted by Brainerd:

CYBret has an exellent step-by-step tutorial for using Spinner and Plucker.

Thanks for the link to the instructions Brainerd. Everything that I initially did to set up Plucker matches those instructions. There is one thing on the “So what do I do next time I want to update?” section that I don’t understand. It is the step that says:

"Repeat Steps 1 through 3. When you get to Step 4, open up the Plucker Desktop and change the date in your file's name so you will know it's current. Again, this is up to you, but that's how I do it."

What is meant by "change the date in your file’s name"? Is he referring to the Channel name and what date is he talking about?

BTW: I did find out that I can get my palm to sync if I delete the channel in Plucker, recreate it and then update it, but I shouldn't have to recreate the channel each time. I should be able to just update it.

Thanks for the help guys,

Rocket Man

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

What is meant by "change the date in your file’s name"? Is he referring to the Channel name and what date is he talking about?

Yes, I think you are correct. I just leave mine the same, though. Some people might want to include the date that the files were "plucked" in the file name.

quote:
BTW: I did find out that I can get my palm to sync if I delete the channel in Plucker, recreate it and then update it, but I shouldn't have to recreate the channel each time. I should be able to just update it.

Yes, you should just be able to click the update button. Make sure you have the channel highlighted when you click the update button (or right-click on the channel and select update). You might also want to confirm your DESTINATION setting for that channel. Make sure you have your PDA listed. You can add a destination directory (such as your desktop) where you can have the output file (.pdb) saved. Then just click this file to add it to your HotSync queue.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Yes, you should just be able to click the update button. Make sure you have the channel highlighted when you click the update button (or right-click on the channel and select update).

I don't think that the channel update is the problem. That seems to work fine.

quote:

You might also want to confirm your DESTINATION setting for that channel. Make sure you have your PDA listed. You can add a destination directory (such as your desktop) where you can have the output file (.pdb) saved. Then just click this file to add it to your HotSync queue.

I think you may have something here. I do have my PDA listed, but I don't remember seeing a specific destination directory listed. I will check it out when I get home from work today.

Thanks,

Rocket Man

[This message was edited by Rocket Man on August 20, 2003 at 11:22 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

I think you may have something here. I do have my PDA listed, but I don't remember seeing a specific destination directory listed. I will check it out when I get home from work today.

The DESTINATION screen has 2 sections. The top allows you to put in a PDA you want it to go to. It should put the .pdb file right into the HotSync queue. The latest version of plucker allows you to choose the location on your PDA: internal memory or removable memory. It also has an option for USB connection, but you should not need to change this from "NO" unless you are running Linux. The bottom half of the screen lets you get a copy of the .pdb file saved on your computer. If you continue to have trouble syncing, I'd get a copy of the .pdb saved and manually add it to the HotSync queue.

Another suggestion...on the PDA there is a function to update the document list. From the Library, pull down the menu bar and select OPTIONS>UPDATE DOCUMENTS LIST. This should find your documents no matter if thay are in the internal memory or on the external card.

Good luck!

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

quote:

The DESTINATION screen has 2 sections. The top allows you to put in a PDA you want it to go to. It should put the .pdb file right into the HotSync queue.

This is where my problem lies. The .pdb file does not go right into the HotSync queue when I do the channel update. It only goes into the queue when I first create the channel.

quote:

The bottom half of the screen lets you get a copy of the .pdb file saved on your computer. If you continue to have trouble syncing, I'd get a copy of the .pdb saved and manually add it to the HotSync queue.

I didn't have to add a destination to the bottom half to get the .pdb file saved. The file was already being saved in a default directory. I just did a search for it, double clicked on it to get it installed into the HotSync queue and Bingo, I was able to sync the file.

I still don't understand why the .pdb file is not put into the HotSync queue automatically when I do the channel update, but at least a have a way to make it work now. Thanks a bunch for all the helpful suggestions Stunod.

Rocket Man