Where should I hide my first nano cache?

snailbandit

I acquired a free non-magnetic nano cache (I've lost it a few times in my room and pack just because it's so tiny!) a few months ago, and think it's about time I released it into the geocaching world. Do you have any tips on where I should hide it? What made your last nano cache hunt exciting?

Edited by snailbandit

I think nanos have their place....generally speaking, place the largest cache that the location can support. Nanos work better in high muggle urban areas where dragging a big ammo can out of its hiding spot would attract too much attention. Likewise, a micro out in the middle of the woods is frustrating and pointless in a location where an ammo can may be easily hidden.

I like a nano in a high traffic area where I have to use stealth to locate, retrieve, sign, and return it without anybody noticing what I'm doing.

I hate nanos, if I see that the cache page says nano I won't search for it, it will go on my ignore list

However, there are plenty of people who tolerate nanos, so if you must use this as your cache then I'm sure it will have finders.

Nanos typically:

Are hidden in high muggle areas

Take forever to roll back up

Always have their log filling up, and frequently have COs who dont change them out on time.

Are uninspired, boring, and lame.

All of the above is just MHO, but I've yet to meet a cacher IRL who disagrees.

Edited by JesandTodd

I acquired a free non-magnetic nano cache (I've lost it a few times in my room and pack just because it's so tiny!) a few months ago, and think it's about time I released it into the geocaching world. Do you have any tips on where I should hide it? What made your last nano cache hunt exciting?

It wasn't exciting, but any place like this is well deserving of a nano for example. A niche that's unable to hold anything larger. Even the nano keeps wandering and disappearing. But it's a really neat spot, nothing spectacular, just nice, that would otherwise go cacheless.

technically hunting for a nano can't be exciting, darn things are so small :lol: ...however, the pretty/interesting place i get to see because one is hidden there, and could not accommodate anything bigger, is exciting :D

One of my favorite nanos to find, are ones that are parts of multi's. There was a really neat multi I did that took me over a year to complete and quite a few of the caches were in nano containers. The nanos were always hid in places that had awesome viewpoints. The guy who did it was building up the last place to be the very best viewpoint and you just couldn't wait to get there! I grew up in this town and even I couldn't wait to see what place he chose to be his final awesome place. Use your imagination. You know your town really well. Use that knowledge and the imagination to take the cachers that come there on a mini adventure with you! Make it fun for me when I come to visit.

I own 3 caches. I have much more fun maintaining my big cache that's full of fun stuff for kids. Lots of people just ignore the micro caches. Cachers will find my big cache and just not bother with the little ones.

Edited by annejilli

I will admit, I much prefer going out on a hike and caching as opposed to hunting for caches underneath bus-stop benches (an example!), so in that regard, I'm against nanos. Micros are great, especially in the forest setting, but a nano anywhere but a intensely high muggle area just doesn't make sense to me.

As a sidenote...I'm all about TB's and trackable geocoins...can't do that with a nano.

technically hunting for a nano can't be exciting, darn things are so small :lol: ...however, the pretty/interesting place i get to see because one is hidden there, and could not accommodate anything bigger, is exciting :D

You think hunting for a micro can't be exciting? I searched for it for about a year on and off. I really started looking for it this summer. I went every day after work looking. I trampled all the grass. I searched every single hiding spot a hider could hide a nano. I could hide a huge ammo box in that area, but the little tiny nano worked better in this area. Sometimes I love nanos! GC2HTXJ http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a50145c6-d507-4564-9359-cf6abd008bdd

Edited by annejilli

I looked through my Favorites list. The caches that I recall being nanos fell into two categories: blinkers hidden in plain sight on public sculptures (where the sculpture is the point), and well-camouflaged caches (where the camouflage is the point). Some of the puzzle caches may have been nanos too, but I don't recall them specifically, and they're favorites because of the puzzles, not because of the hides.

Don't let opinions get you down. Some people prefer larger caches, some prefer smaller, you can't please everyone.

The two elements that seem to have the most commonality is the quality of the location, and the quality of the hide. Some of my favorite micro or nano caches have either led me to a place, either urban or park setting, that I wouldn't have otherwise seen, and has some remarkable value, or the hide itself was very clever, and my appreciation was really for the thought that went into the hide.

Also, one thing I've noticed recently is the difference of opinion I have on caches based on the description. If it's a pleasant, clever, or meaningful description, I generally feel better about the cache, even if it's a fairly ordinary location and hide. I've really come to dislike the ones that just say "lock n lock container, should be easy" and that's it (or variations of the theme).

I guess the overarching principle to me is thought. If I feel the cache owner has put some thought into making it a fun or worthwhile cache, I tend to like it. If I feel not much thought went into it, then eh, it's not worth much other than the smiley, and I'm not really a numbers guy when it comes to caching.

Hope that helps, good luck on the hide!

Don't let opinions get you down. Some people prefer larger caches, some prefer smaller, you can't please everyone.

You can't please everyone but you please more people with a larger cache. Plant a swag size cache and you please both the people who like larger swag size caches and the people who just want a log to sign.

Do you have any tips on where I should hide it? What made your last nano cache hunt exciting?

I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment, finding those evil little things. Not excitment. Two nice ones were at a fountain in a square, where the nano was somewhere on a park bench, and hidden in a way where it seemed to belong. The nano was also out of the way, so nobody but cachers noticed it. People can come sit on the bench, relax, enjoy the fountain, and puzzle over where the nano could possibly be.

A park bench is ideal, since you can basically crawl all over and under one, and nobody will assume you're suspicious (OK, perhaps a little eccentric). And if they wonder what you "put under there", they see nothing. The challenge for cachers is having the bench free to search, and searching it without looking nutty.

Before you hide it, paint it to blend with the object you'll stick it to. Buy a couple of o-rings to have ready for when the old one breaks. Have more strips of paper ready, for new logs. And have a schedule and go check on it. These may be higher maintenance than an ammo box in the woods, but many people will love the location without poison ivy and ticks, if they know the nano is still there in great shape. If you're feeling very kind, a clever, fun, and very specific hint would be welcome, too.

Edited by kunarion

You can't please everyone but you please more people with a larger cache. Plant a swag size cache and you please both the people who like larger swag size caches and the people who just want a log to sign.

Maybe so. But you won't please everybody. I have friends that greatly prefer nanos and micros, they generally find the hides to be better, for the non-skirt-lifters. So it all depends on what the cache owner wants to do. There's room in geocaching for all types of caches, all types of preferences.

I generally like larger caches. That said, my favorite cache ever was a nano, because of the location, and the hide.

Edited by Keelmann And Cici

I looked through my Favorites list. The caches that I recall being nanos fell into two categories: blinkers hidden in plain sight on public sculptures (where the sculpture is the point), and well-camouflaged caches (where the camouflage is the point). t I don't recall them specifically, and they're favorites because of the puzzles, not because of the hides.

This.

With a container that small, use that to your advantage and try to come up with a hide that's in plain sight or encase the container in some unique camo. Just because it's a nano cache doesn't mean that it *must* be hard to find. Hiding it on a public sculpture (with permission) is a good way to bring finders to something that might be interesting or unique. Putting inside a fake bird, a fake plastic frog might be an interesting way to hide a nano. Just don't slap in on the backside of a street sign, a guard rail, metal fence, or some place that has no other redeeming interest.

A non-magnetic nano can be turned into a magnetic nano with an earth magnet and a bit of hot glue.

]

You think hunting for a micro can't be exciting? I searched for it for about a year on and off. I really started looking for it this summer. I went every day after work looking. I trampled all the grass. I searched every single hiding spot a hider could hide a nano. I could hide a huge ammo box in that area, but the little tiny nano worked better in this area. Sometimes I love nanos! GC2HTXJ http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a50145c6-d507-4564-9359-cf6abd008bdd

I can toss a micro over the hill into a rock pile. It can take you a year to find it. In no way does that make it a good hide. length of time to find a cache, especially a nano, means nothing...

Edited by JesandTodd
]

I can toss a micro over the hill into a rock pile. It can take you a year to find it. In no way does that make it a good hide. length of time to find a cache, especially a nano, means nothing...

The reason it is hard to find for me, is because it is rated quite difficult. I am quite new at finding difficult caches. The cammo job on this cache is quite awesome. That is the only reason it took me so long to find. If the cacher is thoughtless in his/her placemnent, it goes on my ignore list. I will not go hunt for bisons in trees, or thrown in rockpiles. I read what others write...this one is extraordinary! I was just saying what made a nano hide good.

I am on a anti nano kick... I have found very few of them and have DNFed (I think) five of them... the ones I did find were annoying because the logbooks were full and crammed, and I couldn't even write my name.

Sometimes I think people place them just to tick me off! Gah!

Especially when the coords are off!

I agree with the make it a worthwhile visit... the one nano I did find was in a very area where I would have never gone.

You have acquired this nano so by all means find a nice place to take people to and hide it there. If you make it worthwhile some people will find it. It's up to you. You don't have to agree with everyone on the forums. Read what they have to say and make up your own mind. Don't let the fact that people say "only hide large containers because they are easy to find" be your overall guide. I have had to log a number of DNFs on large caches because we could not find them. Sometimes they don't get put back exactly where they belong. So all in all hide your little nano. Just go have fun.

You have acquired this nano so by all means find a nice place to take people to and hide it there. If you make it worthwhile some people will find it. It's up to you. You don't have to agree with everyone on the forums. Read what they have to say and make up your own mind. Don't let the fact that people say "only hide large containers because they are easy to find" be your overall guide. I have had to log a number of DNFs on large caches because we could not find them. Sometimes they don't get put back exactly where they belong. So all in all hide your little nano. Just go have fun.

+1. Those who don't like nanos shouldn't find them, and often don't. Nanos are clearly here to stay, and clearly people will find them. Therefore, find a neat hiding spot, don't hide the fact that the cache is a nano, and go caching.

+1. Those who don't like nanos shouldn't find them, and often don't. Nanos are clearly here to stay, and clearly people will find them. Therefore, find a neat hiding spot, don't hide the fact that the cache is a nano, and go caching.

+2??? Yeah, good advice. A lot of people hate nano's, but most people go out and find anything. Please, a nice spot, not a guardrail in a trash filled alley behind the superstore.

That's funny about nano's, you have two distinct hata groups. One is the anti-lame cache group who don't like caches on the back of stop signs, or guardrails or lampposts in parking lots. Which many nano's are. They would probably ignore such a nano placement anyways. Then you have the plain old nano hating group that runs out and finds anything and everything listed on the website, they just hate them because they're so small.

By the way, the thread's a month old, and the OP has only one find (2 months ago). I suspect they'll never look at this thread again, or even hide the nano. But hey, we can argue about Nano's all day if you want. :lol:

Nano caches are hard to roll up, but fun to try to find as they are so small. The last nano I liked was attached to a old cart at my local fire hall. It blended in perfect on a bolt on the inside of the wheel and was a fun find. That was my best experience with the sub-version of caches we call nanos.

You know the area you live in. So find a great little spot that only a local would know about and place it there. (With permission of course.) I live in Philadelphia and tracking down Nanos and Micros, have led me to areas and locations I never even knew about. Like the Movie theatre in downtown Philly, Me and my wife were wishing one was there but couldnt find one. Then I find a Nano on the sidewalk right at the corner of one.

My suggestion would be someplace like that. As a local in your area you know the best spots already. have fun.

Somewhere urban would be best!