Free (non-GSAK-requiring) badges?

FloridaFour

So today I just figured out I could get a free badge and became "Bronze Earthcache Master". But I see some other people have GSAK and have a bunch of cool badges. I don't want to pay $30 for the badges and for now, I don't really want GSAK. Are there any free badges I can get? I am already a premium member...don't want to invest more $ at this time.

Hi FloridaFour!

I am not an Earthcache afficianado by any means, (which may be the source of my confusion), but I'm not seeing where you would need to pay anything, or have any software other than that needed to operate your GPSr, to get Earthcache badges. For Silver Earthcache Master you need to visit and log six (6) or more Earthcaches in three (3) or more states/countries and have developed one (1) or more Earthcaches. For Gold Earthcache Master you need to visit and log twelve (12) or more Earthcaches in four (4) or more states/countries and have developed two (2) or more Earthcaches. For Platinum Earthcache Master you need to visit and log twenty (20) or more Earthcaches in five (5) or more states/countries and have developed three (3) or more Earthcaches.

I'm not seeing any requirement for GSAK, or spending $$$, other than travelling expenses... :unsure:

Hi FloridaFour!

I am not an Earthcache afficianado by any means, (which may be the source of my confusion), but I'm not seeing where you would need to pay anything, or have any software other than that needed to operate your GPSr, to get Earthcache badges. For Silver Earthcache Master you need to visit and log six (6) or more Earthcaches in three (3) or more states/countries and have developed one (1) or more Earthcaches. For Gold Earthcache Master you need to visit and log twelve (12) or more Earthcaches in four (4) or more states/countries and have developed two (2) or more Earthcaches. For Platinum Earthcache Master you need to visit and log twenty (20) or more Earthcaches in five (5) or more states/countries and have developed three (3) or more Earthcaches.

I'm not seeing any requirement for GSAK, or spending $$$, other than travelling expenses... :unsure:

Yes, I understand that, I got the bronze Earthcache badge today. But there are all sorts of other badges, such as for getting so many microcaches, or owning so many caches, etc. Just looked like something to work towards and "earn".

I suppose those badges are nice, if you're into that kind of thing.

Whatever happened to setting your own goals, and taking your own quiet satisfaction in completing them?

Could this be a manifestation of what has gone wrong with the American dream? The need to have some outside recognition for every achievement?

Sorry, I got carried away... <_<

So today I just figured out I could get a free badge and became "Bronze Earthcache Master". But I see some other people have GSAK and have a bunch of cool badges. I don't want to pay $30 for the badges and for now, I don't really want GSAK. Are there any free badges I can get? I am already a premium member...don't want to invest more $ at this time.

Those are just fake ones. :anicute: You get the real ones from GSA's EarthCache Masters program. :D www.earthcache.org

Edit to add: There is another site for free badges. I posted in a thread here a few weeks ago. Seems we were confused about the badges and the EC Masters program.

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

Yeeesh. :) I think GSAK is great. I know it is primarily used for its great maps. At this time, I don't feel I need it, as I have limited time to cache. I don't even need the badges, which I saw linked to someones profile as a GSAK add on. It was just something I thought was fun. Some people think 1000 cache powertrails or pathtags and geocoins are fun. To each their own. I got my answers....thanks.

Well, I'm off to go get my blood drawn.... Fun fun...back to real life.

Yeeesh. :) I think GSAK is great. I know it is primarily used for its great maps. At this time, I don't feel I need it, as I have limited time to cache. I don't even need the badges, which I saw linked to someones profile as a GSAK add on. It was just something I thought was fun. Some people think 1000 cache powertrails or pathtags and geocoins are fun. To each their own. I got my answers....thanks.

Well, I'm off to go get my blood drawn.... Fun fun...back to real life.

I would not say that GSAK is primarily used for maps. It is used in many ways by many people. Some use it to keep an offline database of all caches in their area. Some use it to store the answers to solved puzzles. I use it primarily for its many awesome ways of filtering pocket queries and for its macros.

The badges that you are referring to, I believe, are actually part of a macro that is run from GSAK, that get the proper badges from another site, BadgeGen.com. By the way, you can use GSAK for free. Eventually it will start to nag you to pay, but it won't stop working.

However, you didn't ask to be converted to GSAK, you came here to see if there was a site where you could get badges without using GSAK.

Here's a site that I think is what you're looking for: http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com/aboutthissite.aspx

Thanks, I will look at that. I didn't know you could use GSAk past the trial run, for free.

Just bear in mind the longer you use it past the trial period the longer the nag time gets. I think it even starts to pop up in the middle as you check menu items if you ignore it long enough. And if you get the version 8 that just went production, your probably looking at 2 to 3 years before the next chargeable upgrade. Version 7 lasted nearly 5 years. And the license is per user, not per computer so you can have it on several computers.

Edited by jholly