User setting: metric/U.S. measurements

johnkal

Not sure if this is a frequent request, if so please disregard.

Many Geocaches are located in countries where metric measurements are used for distances. It would be nice if there were a user option in the account settings to select between metric and U.S units.

Conversion factor: 1.60934 km = 1 U.S. mile.

Hmmm...

Ignoring this site, doesnt' everything else you use GPS and software wise do that?

And is that US Miles based on the Survey Foot, or the International Foot? Not that it makes much difference but the people here really don't get how mich easier things would be if the USA went metric and stayed there instead of this half a$$ed 30+ year effort.

Both me and My kids learned metric (aka SI) in school. But we still dont' use it..

Ok enough rant.

johnkal is making an interesting point. What happened to the metric measurements for examplke that show on the "caches nearest to" page. Only miles show now. Both miles and metric distances showed before????

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

johnkal is making an interesting point. What happened to the metric measurements for examplke that show on the "caches nearest to" page. Only miles show now. Both miles and metric distances showed before????

You can now switch between metric and miles

Since those crappy miles icon_wink.gif are default now I'd also prefer to be able to configure this in my preferences. But I think Jeremy is already planning so.

cheers

Gert

Short cuts make long delays.

quote:
Originally posted by Gert:

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Since those crappy miles icon_wink.gif are default now I'd also prefer to be able to configure this in my preferences. But I think Jeremy is already planning so.

cheers

Gert

Short cuts make long delays.

Gert: with your help I noticed the switch (can't believe I didn't see it before). I still would like the user preference, as I have no interest in seeing distances specified in miles when I'm not in the United States.

You can now switch between metric and miles