non-cachers who aren't really muggles either

JL_HSTRE

Many of my friends have never looked for a geocache, but by knowing me are aware of geocaching and may have even had an explanation of what caching is, what a cache is, and a brief background about caching. A few friends have found a cache with me, but don't have a geocaching.com account and don't search for caches unless they're with me when I'm caching.

Are these people muggles, cachers, or something else? At what point does a muggle stop being a muggle and start being a cacher?

Many of my friends have never looked for a geocache, but by knowing me are aware of geocaching and may have even had an explanation of what caching is, what a cache is, and a brief background about caching. A few friends have found a cache with me, but don't have a geocaching.com account and don't search for caches unless they're with me when I'm caching.

Are these people muggles, cachers, or something else? At what point does a muggle stop being a muggle and start being a cacher?

Squibs

Sounds like 99% of the people I go caching with. :signalviolin: I've often wondered about this. We definatley need a name for these people. They're definately NOT cachers. They do not find caches on their own and never log their finds online.

Muggles<->Cachers

Machers

Cuggles

Friendly muggles?

Edited by The_Incredibles_

In my opinion, you may be over thinking this. I usually do not think of a person as a muggle unless it relates directly to a cache. If someone is hanging around while I'm looking for a cache,( or maybe when I'm talking about caching) they would be a muggle. If they are standing before or after me in a check out line in the store, they are just people.

If you happen to be near a cache I am going for and I do not know you, I would think of you as a muggle. :huh: You come up and introduce yourself, I find out you also cache, you are not a muggle anymore. :P

As to whether someone who only caches once in a while, and then only with a friend or relative is a muggle or not. Why would that make a difference? my brother and sister-in-law only cache when they go with me, but they have both found several caches. That makes them Geocachers in my book. B)

I've got it! :antenna:

They are humorists!

They humor the cacher.

They 'go caching' when he suggests it, and feign having fun. :mellow:

They smile and nod as the cacher babbles on and on and on (and on) incessantly about his caching experiences. :rolleyes:

Humorists, yeah...that's the ticket! :lol:

HA! I think you have it! My family and friends that know I cache (and even have gone with me to see what the big deal was) don't want to actually get an account, actively seek them on their own, but if I need a companion to hunt with (many cache's near me are in wooded areas...it feels safer with a partner). They respect the game, would never tamper with a cache, but know I enjoy the hobby. They even get a little thrill out of it too.

I've got it! :antenna:

They are humorists!

They humor the cacher.

They 'go caching' when he suggests it, and feign having fun. :mellow:

They smile and nod as the cacher babbles on and on and on (and on) incessantly about his caching experiences. :rolleyes:

Humorists, yeah...that's the ticket! :lol:

Oh definately, thats a good one, I have to try and hold back on the babble, the glazed eyes are becoming too obvious.

On a slightly side note I was out yesterday with a friend and bumped into a couple Bessie works with, she says 'hello, what are you up to?' (we had our suspicions, hanging around a cache site) wife says 'Well I am out for a walk, HE is doing something weird!' At which we point we gave him a hint :laughing: She went on to clarify that she thought it was great as she could never get him out of the house before, having a small baby now it is a definate bonus to her, apparently he works with GIS and mapping so once discovered he was quickly hooked.

Squibs

Definitely this. Anyone who doesn't get the reference needs to read more Harry Potter. B)

Squibs

Definitely this. Anyone who doesn't get the reference needs to read more Harry Potter. B)

That is in fact the perfect name. But we know how many people hate Harry Potter, and the term muggle itself. The current thread in these fourums isn't the first "lets get rid of the word muggle" thread.

Whatever we will call these heard of Geocaching people, I once ran into two of them on the same day at different caches, on about a 10 cache outing.