Winter drawers on

drsolly

I just sorted out Freda (the Freelander). I took out the stuff that's only useful in April-October (things like sun cream, eye sun shade) and put in the November stuff (fur-lined gloves (the fur is sheep fur, and so not subject to PC problems), extra sweater, fur-lined hat (not even sheep, ripped from the living body of a still-warm nylon, I think). Still, at least I haven't put in the Deep Winter stuff yet (balaclava, insulated mittens).

I took the sun cream out of my bag in middle of October. Only to find I needed it still!! Not that I am complaining. :P

Still finding that natural nylon fleece lined jacket is too dadgum hot for walking.

Ooh didn't realise that wasn't allowed :shocked: wondered what dadgum represented, cant we have an english filter.

Edited by The Real Boudica.

...the fur is sheep fur..

So that'll be wool then ? :unsure:

Hmm, interesting question. I've always taken "wool" to be fibres sheared from the sheep (or similar animal), cleaned, combed, carded. Then, usually, spun into yarn, and either woven or knitted into fabric. Thus, a "wool hat" would probably be knitted from wool yarn (although I suspect that most such hats are made from acrylic fibre). But my hat is made from the skin of the sheep, tanned, cured, and with the fleece trimmed neatly to a half inch or so (and worn on the inside), and that's what I'd call a "fur hat", as distinct from a "wool hat". And, for reasons that I don't actually understand, a sheep-fur hat is an acceptable item of apparel, whereas mink-fur or cat-fur isn't.

Anyway. It keeps my ears from freezing.

Hmm, interesting question. I've always taken "wool" to be fibres sheared from the sheep (or similar animal), cleaned, combed, carded. Then, usually, spun into yarn, and either woven or knitted into fabric. Thus, a "wool hat" would probably be knitted from wool yarn (although I suspect that most such hats are made from acrylic fibre). But my hat is made from the skin of the sheep, tanned, cured, and with the fleece trimmed neatly to a half inch or so (and worn on the inside), and that's what I'd call a "fur hat", as distinct from a "wool hat". And, for reasons that I don't actually understand, a sheep-fur hat is an acceptable item of apparel, whereas mink-fur or cat-fur isn't.

That'll be sheepskin then :anitongue:

I'd call that sheepskin or fleece.

Must get myself some new winter drawers (now I've lost wait I keep losing last year's)! :laughing:

Am I the only person who read the title of this thread and thought it was about thermal knickers??

Oops. How could I have been so crass as to make such a mistake? I meant "Winter draws on".

Well actually, I skim-read it and thought you HAD written "Winter draws on" and it wasn't until I examined it more closely that I realised you had written a title about about winter underwear. Yes I expected to see a post about thermal togs and lo and behold, I did...

How serendipitous (poncy word of the day) that in fact BOTH titles fit to what was written...

... but do you have sheepskin drawers? I think we should be told.

Am I the only person who read the title of this thread and thought it was about thermal knickers??

Oops. How could I have been so crass as to make such a mistake? I meant "Winter draws on".

Well actually, I skim-read it and thought you HAD written "Winter draws on" and it wasn't until I examined it more closely that I realised you had written a title about about winter underwear. Yes I expected to see a post about thermal togs and lo and behold, I did...

How serendipitous (poncy word of the day) that in fact BOTH titles fit to what was written...

All my drawers are made of wood.

Certainly not. I'm just writing up my full recommendation for woolly fleecy flanelette double gussets.

MrsB

Hang on, given that the gusset is the the narrow strip of material which joins the front and back panels of such a garment, leaving holes for two legs does a 'double gusset' mean that you have three leg holes? :huh:

I'm just trying to picture you now.... (or is it Mr B?...) I think I would have noticed you if I'd seem you out caching....

All my drawers are made of wood.

That must chafe a bit. Less itchy than wool though.

I was half expecting another tale of woe involving some thermal underwear and a bike wheel trading places in some surreal manner.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No underwear involved, but here's another tale of woe involving me and a bike.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=2410757

Poor drsolly, who would have thought that riding a pushbike on a bridleway in the dark could be so dangerous? :)

Glad nothing was broken

Yes, only an idiot would do that. Nothing broken, even the bruises aren't too bad. Plus, I found the cache, STF.

Actually, the dark wasn't really the issue; my headtorch makes it very light. The dark only became an issue after I'd fallen off, because my headtorch was making a little puddle of light a couple of meters away, and I couldn't see how exactly the combination of my bike and the undergrowth had me trapped.

It's adventures like this that make caching so much fun, though.

I was half expecting another tale of woe involving some thermal underwear and a bike wheel trading places in some surreal manner.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No underwear involved, but here's another tale of woe involving me and a bike.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=2410757

That's a link to create a new log, your log is here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=0b39288d-bae0-4f89-bdc5-855273b079fa

I must admit your logs are so much better reading than "nice easy find, TFTC" :)