Geolympix

firestars

In plain and simple english, can someone please tell me what this is about?

For those that have not seen it the website is here - geolympix.com - but let me warn you, its a monstrosity!

All I can gleam from it is some caches going up in Oxford some time in the future, interestingly by a cacher whos other 'megatrails' are slowly being archived due to lack of maintenance. You couldnt make it up.

Edited by firestars

Thanks for the link. It doesnt really _tell_ me whats going on though does it? All I see if a poorly designed logo, an emaciated women and people getting in a fluster.

What is a Mega, for example?

Is it just a group of people in waterproofs and walking boots sitting around chatting?

:laughing:

OK...

You understand what a geocaching event is?

Well, a Mega event is one of them with over 500 attendees.

That's it.

What those 500+ attendees do during the time period of the Mega event varies. The Geolympix website tells you about a number of activities they are planning for their event.

(There's no denying that waterproofs and walking boots may be involved somewhere but, hopefully, the waterproofs will be able to remain in the car boots and the boots will come out and go walking...)

MrsB

Thanks again.

Im guess a GeoCaching event is a local meet, to talk about Geocaching (quite what they find to talk about amazes me!)

Now, I understand a Mega! Thanks

nb - Im going to lift all the information on the Geolmpix website and transfer it to a site of my own, so that others can understand what the fuss is!

I think the problem with the threads on here are that discussions of the Geolympix started literally years ago and it's been discussed in several different threads, so by the time the thread that MrsB linked to appeared most people on here knew what it was about having absorbed bits & pieces over the years/months. If you search the forum for Geolympix you might find more butit will be bitty, and is quite often accompanied by a level of angst from some quarters.

Hmm, personally I think the Geolympix site is pretty dadgum good, diff'rent strokes I suppose, but I would think that's the best place to go for info.

Hmm, personally I think the Geolympix site is pretty dadgum good, diff'rent strokes I suppose, but I would think that's the best place to go for info.

A quick straw poll amongst the other engineers here at the ISP I work for, right now (cachers and non-cachers) comfirm that the site is abysmal and likely to bring on a migraine.

I will lift it all into a site soon enough and all will become clear.

Edited by firestars

Yes. There's a monstrous lot of information on it but I wouldn't call it a "monstrosity". I think it explains what anyone needs to know...

Perhaps firestars could be more specific about what he doesn't understand, or what he'd like to know that isn't on there?

MrsB :)

A quick straw poll amongst the other engineers here at the ISP I work for, right now (cachers and non-cachers) comfirm that the site is abysmal and likely to bring on a migraine in their opinoin.

Hardly a representative cross section of the community then? :ph34r:

Also just rememered that this d@mn site insists in inserting the word dadgum, which is a d@mn word I would never use <_<

Yes. There's a monstrous lot of information on it but I wouldn't call it a "monstrosity". I think it explains what anyone needs to know...

Perhaps firestars could be more specific about what he doesn't understand, or what he'd like to know that isn't on there?

MrsB :)

It doesnt though, thats the problem. Im no fool and neither are my colleagues but in all honesty, I couldn't make head nor tail of it. The information is all over the place, its not written very well and the design of the site does it no favours. It will lose visitors in the current state, at the front page.

Im guess a GeoCaching event is a local meet, to talk about Geocaching (quite what they find to talk about amazes me!)

Me too. Apart from all the talk about caches, torches, boots, GPSes, food, beer, muggles, adventures, puzzles, maths and hides - there's very little to talk about.

Im going to lift all the information on the Geolmpix website and transfer it to a site of my own

Since you work for an ISP, you'll have noticed the bit at the bottom that says "Copyright © 2010-2011 - The Geolympix Team - All Rights Reserved"

and you'll be careful not to violate the copyright?

Edited by drsolly

Me too. Apart from all the talk about caches, torches, boots, GPSes, food, beer, muggles, adventures, puzzles, maths and hides - there's very little to talk about.

You forgot to mention geocoins, travel bugs, geocaching dogs, other events and the daft things they've read on the forums.

MrsB :D

Im going to lift all the information on the Geolmpix website and transfer it to a site of my own

Since you work for an ISP, you'll have noticed the bit at the bottom that says "Copyright © 2010-2011 - The Geolympix Team - All Rights Reserved"

All ready admitted in another thread:

It may be in the rules but tbh, I have never read them, nor will I read them. Perhaps I should have ;o)

Having spoken to some of the people who are employed by ISP's I can now understand why you obviously fail to grasp the meanings of the T&C's and the Copyright note. :ph34r::rolleyes::ph34r:

Another thing that I enjoy going to events for is to meet interesting people who enjoy the strange hobby that I enjoy. :rolleyes:

I've even met the good Dr Solly.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Now, I understand a Mega! Thanks

nb - Im going to lift all the information on the Geolmpix website and transfer it to a site of my own, so that others can understand what the fuss is!

Just looked at the website myself - makes sense to me and I have never attended an event, mega or anything else to do with geocaching.

Why bother to redo a website that you have no interest in?

You bored at work this weekend?

It doesnt though, thats the problem. Im no fool and neither are my colleagues but in all honesty, I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

Were there too many apostrophes?

Got any good tips for removing red wine from a keyboard and screen? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phone your ISP and ask for tech support, they get that problem all the time.

What on earth does my employment have to do with my hobby of designing and creating useful websites?

Thank you for pointing out exactly why I wont be going.

What on earth does my employment have to do with my hobby of designing and creating useful websites?

Nothing whatsoever, which is why you mentioned it in the first place.

You forgot to mention geocoins, travel bugs, geocaching dogs, other events and the daft things they've read on the forums.

MrsB :D

Also meeting and getting to know the people who set the caches you find and them becoming friends over the time spent at events.

Camping events are good for this :D

It was to demonstrate that, being in a technical field, I spend 12hrs a day examining websites and have done for 12 years now, and so feel a little qualified to understand what works and what doesn't.

OK, so the answer to "What on earth does my employment have to do with my hobby of designing and creating useful websites?" is "I spend 12hrs a day examining websites and have done for 12 years now, and so feel a little qualified to understand what works and what doesn't". Thanks for your help in answering your question.

Well, in that case, you'll have examined the Geolympix web site and noticed the bit at the bottom that says "Copyright © 2010-2011 - The Geolympix Team - All Rights Reserved"

and you'll be careful not to violate the copyright when you "lift all the information on the Geolmpix website and transfer it to a site of my own" because both your job and your hobby will have brought you into contact with the facts of copyright.

If a professional is keen to produce a free website for the Geolympix, we'd love to talk! Please get in touch via Twitter, via the website or via our Geocaching.com profile. The current website is 'an amateur job' by a volunteer who was happy to throw something together with rusty HTLM he learned 10 years ago. It's not perfect but it was cheap and is easy to update. We'd also love to see others' logo designs. Please post your suggestions here. The best could be adopted in the future. :)

Edited by Geolympix

It was to demonstrate that, being in a technical field, I spend 12hrs a day examining websites and have done for 12 years now, and so feel a little qualified to understand what works and what doesn't.

OK, so the answer to "What on earth does my employment have to do with my hobby of designing and creating useful websites?" is "I spend 12hrs a day examining websites and have done for 12 years now, and so feel a little qualified to understand what works and what doesn't". Thanks for your help in answering your question.

Well, in that case, you'll have examined the Geolympix web site and noticed the bit at the bottom that says "Copyright © 2010-2011 - The Geolympix Team - All Rights Reserved"

and you'll be careful not to violate the copyright when you "lift all the information on the Geolmpix website and transfer it to a site of my own" because both your job and your hobby will have brought you into contact with the facts of copyright.

That is correct.

I would have happily created a website for the project, using my skills, for free, to assist in making the whole thing look a lot more professional, easier on the eye and indeed easier to navigate and understand.

I say 'would', because your rather bad attitude has left me wanting to do something else instead. Possibly banging my head against the wall.

That is correct.

I would have happily created a website for the project, using my skills, for free, to assist in making the whole thing look a lot more professional, easier on the eye and indeed easier to navigate and understand.

I say 'would', because your rather bad attitude has left me wanting to do something else instead. Possibly banging my head against the wall.

Reading through this thread, I'd say that it's your attitude that's the problem.

Dont worry I saw it. I was tickled by the fact that you quoted completely the wrong part :)

Good, you weren't offended by my comment that Dr Solly had missed his chance to have a gleaming new web site (- as in "All I can gleam from it is ...").

Bah, not so good in the retelling. Sporting of you to leave your typo in, though.

Dont worry I saw it. I was tickled by the fact that you quoted completely the wrong part :)

Good, you weren't offended by my comment that Dr Solly had missed his chance to have a gleaming new web site (- as in "All I can gleam from it is ...").

Bah, not so good in the retelling. Sporting of you to leave your typo in, though.

Ah the 'typo'. The area most internet discussions drop to when things are getting tough.

The area most internet discussions drop to when things are getting tough.

Not tough at all, I hope. We're just engaging in a gentle bout of off-topic banter.

Back on topic ... you got any more questions or offers of assistance, or are we done here?

That is correct.

Disappointing that after your initial post that you apparently have no intention of helping with the former.

Reading the responses to your tone on the rest of this thread I think you will be able to find plenty of help for the latter!!

I must apologise to the Geolympics team for deterring firestars from redesigning the Geolympics web site into a modern, easy-to-use and attractive set of pages that would bring masses more people to the event. It would be nice to see the kind of thing we've missed - could you mention the URLs of sites you've designed? Thanks.

Edited by drsolly